1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't we be happy watching Ben play the last 3 games of his career?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 24, 2020.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  2. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Neither Ben nor Tomlin are going anywhere. I think Ben has Brady envy and wants to try to play as long as Super Cheater does.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This is the real issue here because he regressed as the season wore on.

But were we just enamored with the short passing game and lack of a solid running game because we were winning?

The fear is he comes back next year and regresses again all with a 41 and change cap hit. I feel its time to part.

In any event they have to draft a QB #1 even if it means trading up. Its past time for this to happen even if they decide to bring him back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree but do not follow college football. I know of that Trevor kid but am sure he goes first. Are there other good QB's entering the draft?????

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think you're right but I remember how Ben reacted when we brought MR on board. Not good. Yet he was the one who made insinuations of retiring.so Wtf was the team supposed to do? Ben seems to have way too much clout for my liking. That would have been a time for a strong leader to sit his butt down and tell it like it is. But we don't have that. It took how many games to finally tell JuJu to stop making an azz of himself at midfield at other stadiums and only after numerous media articles?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Fichtner said this week that Ben is the reason they don't run more play action -- he's not comfortable with it. I'm guessing he's also the reason they don't QB sneak.

Ben indeed runs the offense, and I believe he's only happy if he is successful personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They're not cutting Ben before his roster bonus, and they're not allowing a $41M cap hit next season. I'll be stunned if they don't extend him two years after the season to spread that financial pain out.

8. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    You're most likely correct, but IMO that's the worst decision they could make

I'd rather have him next season on final year w 41 cap hit than extend him

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Despite the good he's done throughout his career here, it's time to part ways with Ben at this point he's just holding the franchise back. I don't like how much pull he has on this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone watching Brady throw deep in the middle of the field today?

Can’t believe this guy still has the it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I turned it off because I can't stand him. But yeah still amazing. TBH I think we all fooled ourselves into thinking Ben was better than he actually was when you look back at his career.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet there were posts on here a while back claiming Ben was elite.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Art 2 jumps too, Ben knows this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Terry ran the offense, he also had Franco & Rocky. Noll gave him a playbook though.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If that play action thing is true then that's BS and it needs to stop right now. Well next season at this point.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I was watching Vikings Saints yesterday and it's just night and day watching these offenses. And I don't even think Minnesota is a playoff team. They just seem light years ahead of the stuff we do. And the Saints have the luxury of two starting QBs. Heck they have three of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Even with the crappy last 3 weeks for the Steelers, they've scored almost the same number of points as the Vikings (13th and 14th in team scoring). So the Vikings (overall) are not night and day to the Steelers, only compared to the recent slump.

Maybe the Vikings looked good in the Saints game because they were playing the Saints.
    (When the Eagles played the Saints, they scored more points than their previous 6 games.)

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Good point. Didn't even think of that. But yet the Saints shut down Brady, so who can figure this league out.

19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    injury report this week lists him as a full participant, I dont think they wld cover up a knee(s) issue and throw him out there, granted he may have soreness but I think the injury report says they have confidence that Ben can run or he wld be limited in practice

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We all know what’s gonna happen... I would definitely love to look stupid though, even more than normal come Sunday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Only 19 million of that 41 million dollar cap hit is Ben's salary for next season, the other 22+ million has already been payed out through restructures so take that for what you will. It's more on the organization than Ben so hopefully we can equate less of that number to play on the field. GO STEELERS.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Some people gonna be so mad when Ben signs an extention this off-season.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    OP, I'm going to try and follow your lead but not sure I can watch this train wreck today.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I can’t look away... even when I try lol. The nerves compel me to check

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree with the thread title. I was really hoping Ben would get #7 for the Steelers and #3 for him. I wanted to see him ride off into the sunset and put to rest all those doubters who thought he wasn't elite. I have my criticisms of Ben. Mostly he didn't seem to be a student of the game and he gambled far too often rather than take the first down and keep the chains moving. However, Ben is the only reason I'm watching the NFL this year. The politics have overshadowed my love for the game. I have bled black and gold since before the 70's. With that being said, I will root for the Steelers as far as they can take us this year. Ben is not the GOAT. He always seemed on the bubble of top tier. IMO he was probably 4th or 5th most seasons he played. He may not be the best quarterback of all time and he may not have ever been legitimate #1 for any particular season. However he has always been a STEELER football player who happened to play the position at quarterback!