1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PFF thinks the Steelers are overrated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 27, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

These guys are a joke :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Better to be an overrated champion than an underrated loser

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s there silly scoring system, I don’t go to their site for that stuff but they are good at compiling a lot of useful data.

Edit* I just watched the clip, his reasoning is even worse than I suspected. I figured they must have been going by a grade for each player to reach that conclusion but he’s just putting it on Ben :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I may have mentioned this in years past- but

Full disclosure- I know a guy who works for Rotowire. So, obviously they are competition- but

he told me how PFF does their ratings. They have tons of unpaid/lowpaid interns watching game films over and over again, plugging all sorts of camera angles into a complex house analytics. No one really understands it, but because they come up with all sorts of rating for all positions people buy into it. I don't.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Little Steelers Fans Message Board trivia, our very own TTF broke down film for PFF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    If anything Ben is underrated if they say he is 15-25. He is fifth in TD and 7th in INT. 30th in running though.

Brady, Bridgewater, Herbert, Ryan Tannehill and Fitzpatrick are ahead of him in QBR

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    PFF??
    BFD!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    HAHAHAHAHA 15-25 hahahahah And I think I do to many drugs.

9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    This could not play any better for the Steelers. The overrated tag is perfect for keeping the team focused. This could be a special year.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, I wouldn't call our defense overrated at all.

Our front 7 is the Real Deal Holyfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I must admit I read stuff on their site and listen to their podcast sometimes. They do provide some valuable insights and offer a good yardstick in relation to player performance but the arrogance and ‘know it all’ mentality is quite off-putting. They seem to believe their grades are the only thing that matter in football analysis and will regularly sneer and belittle coaches and teams for not being as clever as they are.

It should be noted that they do a predictions slot on their podcast each week and get things spectacularly wrong as much as any of us. If their grades are really all that they should be able to call games with much better accuracy than the casual fan but I’ll bet if you tracked their predictions they’ll be about the same as any knowledgeable fan in a pickem pool.

In relation to Ben I really don’t know what they are looking at that led them to that conclusion. Yes he has been a bit rusty at times and his deep ball accuracy has been hit and miss but surely that was to be expected? He looks to be improving week to week and he has made plays in every single game. I really wouldn’t worry too much about anything they are saying. Who cares.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    F’ing computer nerds. Their opinion is as valuable as the toilet paper I wiped my arse with this afternoon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If you left an image of Jesus on it, it would be worth a miracle and quite a bit of notoriety. You could probably charge admission for people to come see it, but your window of opportunity is rapidly closing on that one.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Flushed it

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    There are some stats on the offensive side of the ball that show mediocre performance, average yards per play being one. Part of this is to protect Roethlisberger, but part of it is the inconsistency of the offense overall, including the run game, as well as, the intermediate and deep passing game. I believe you will see the Steelers stretching the field more in the upcoming games, which should open up the running game and intermediate passing, and hopefully a more consistent offense. As Tomlin says, "The only thing perfect about this team is their record." I believe PFF claiming Pittsburgh is overrated because their offensive numbers do not equate to a perfect record. My guess is if the team was putting up 150 yards rushing and 300 yards passing per game, 450 yards of total offense per game, then PFF would say that is a reflection of their record.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You have toilet paper? How'd you score that? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually think it's sound reasoning. I'm not saying his conclusion is right or that I agree with it, just that his reasoning is sound. It's a QB league these days. Defence just can't win SB's anymore and teams don't win without a top QB, or at least one playing at a high level. So if he doesn't think Ben is playing very good, then it makes sense for him to think we're overrated.

Watching Ben play, I definitely have some reservations, but he's obviously the best guy on the roster by far. So like every team in the league, we'll go as far as our QB takes us.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good point. Bobby Biz’ TP may have been more valuable than PFF’s assessment. At least before use. I’m not sure about after. Depends on what he ate.

19. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Lol. Overrated but most writers around the country are giving us barely any credit. Makes sense.

20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    It is only conjecture, but it seems the PFF writer would be happier if the Steelers were 4th in yardage and 21st in points (instead of the other way around), even though points are the actual goal. It is easier to model and calculate statistics for yardage.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That gray cell popped up in my noggin.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    PFF says the Steelers are overrated and the NFL hates them. What next...

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers are 10-0 and still get very little respect. I'm not sure how they are over rated.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't watch enough football/sports anymore, but you the consumer
    if you have watched enough football in your life time can see legitimate teams and such.
    Take your own eyeball test and you come up with your conclusions.

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A 2007esq spanking of the Ravens would help.

If PFF said Steelers were underrated than no one would read the article