1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben! You Good, Bro?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Nov 23, 2020.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    "You Good, Bro? – I hope I was just seeing things. Just my mind trying to create something out of nothing. Ben Roethlisberger looked to be throwing the ball differently against the Jaguars. He looked to be dropping down to the side a bit more than usual. It looked to be more of three quarter arm angle and a couple sidearm even when he wasn’t trying to throw around people. When pitchers do that it’s usually due to a sore elbow. Early in the game he had two more deflected passes and two near interceptions. The interception he did throw was Kent Tekulve-like. Hopefully it’s just some expected soreness as part of the recovery process."
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/toms-ten-takes-steelers-vs-jaguars/

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kaboly mentioned in camp he altered his throwing motion. I really haven’t paid much attention to it.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its a bit of a concern, not a complaint. 32/46 /267. He is slinging it, but to many misses. I would like to see his attempts come down a bit. I'm sure even with his repaired elbow he has altered some throws. If only they can get the run game figured out.

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Nothing to back this up, but it SEEMS like he's getting less accurate. I was expecting it to get better as the season progressed and he got accustomed to his new slingshot. That doesn't seem to have happened. He's doing well enough with the cumulative contribution of the rest of the team to not hurt us, but at some point we're going to need accuracy to get us over a hump. Hopefully it doesn't cost us when it really counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've seen that bum QB in Kansas City throw a few wacky under hand passes so maybe Ben is just getting ready for the AFCCG.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    True, but he can throw more accurately underhanded than half the qb's in the league can conventionally. Haven't you seen the State Farm commercial with the bean bags??

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought I saw Ben grabbing his elbow several times late in the game yesterday. Had me worried.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He has had more passes knocked down this year. And he’s not short.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s hurting and they are trying to hide it. I hope he can last the season

10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I can't remember a game this season, except maybe the first one, that he didn't grab at it and flex his hand. I've been worried all season.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I have said this all season long. The question is not if Big Ben can lead the Steelers to the promised land. The question becomes if Big Ben's Elbow will hold up by that point.

Getting Derek Watt more involved really should be a priority at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We need the run game going, and yes it’s Bens elbow I fear most

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It just really seems like Ben's body is being held together by a band-aid and it's only a matter of time before that band-aid falls off. Hopefully it's not this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yet Ben was hinting at taking another Thursday off last week and MT said he was going to practice. Now, if he was hurting or is hurt as some here are alluding to, then a smart coach would limit wear and tear (practice) as much as practicable wouldn't you think? Ben beat up the Bungles with one day (Saturday) of practice so I don't see the elbow as a problem until he is held out more during the week.

15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It's actually 8 bandaids. The left arm is overkill. But we can't be too cautious.

bigben.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ben made a joke about taking the week off after A) missing practice for a week due to the covid protocols, and B) having his best game, yardage wise, of the season. He did it in front of his coach, with a smile on his face. Hardly hinting that he needed time off.

17. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like the double band aid to keep it in his pants.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Apparently, so did Stormy Daniels.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    His deep ball accuracy is what is concerning to me. The ball to Claypool yesterday was nice...as was the one earlier this season...but on the whole, he has missed a good number of deep throws--more than I can remember from recent years.

20. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Could look at the tip/batted balls at the line a direct correlation to ball release time. Ben leads the league with a ridiculous 2.1 sec release time. Stats favor tipped passes at the line with quick throws.

2.1 seconds. This isn't the Ben of old.

Watch Lamar this year, he is holding the ball for long periods. The play has already developed but he is delivering late. I snuck into a few Ravens streams last night and they are ready to fire Wang Harbaugh.

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben has maybe one year left after this season. Every time he gets hit he looks like a 70 year old staggering up after a fall. All the more important they take advantage of this season it might just be the end of the road.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I need official confirmation before believing something is seriously wrong with Ben.

I didn't see the game, but judging from the highlights it looks like he was carving the Jags secondary up.

It is perfectly in reason to think Ben's elbow will be sore this year. I bet guys coming off of ACL surgeries the next year feel it for quite a while. It is just the healing process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It's strange how the ground seemingly gets further away and a lot harder as you get older.

I'll officially confirm that something is not right with him. I will neither confirm nor deny that something is seriously wrong. Hope that's enough for you, but it's the best I can do in my professional opinion.

Regarding his accuracy, highlights most usually only show the carving up. And since you likely saw 6-8 of his 46 attempts, you definitely didn't see the real picture.

Lastly, if you listen to him, or have listened over the past 11 weeks, he says he feels better than he has in the past 5+ years. JuJu and the short, slow, berated ex-receiver whose name is not to be mentioned here for risk of ridicule both said he was throwing harder pre-season than he may ever have. None of that means he isn't, or can't be, sore. But if it means anything, it should mean that he should be getting more accustomed to his upgraded appendage. He should know his limitations by now and be throwing the best he is probably ever going to throw again. Unfortunately, that isn't great. It's good enough, but not great. As long as he can maintain this moderate level of accuracy and avoid injury self-imposed or external, he should probably be good enough physically to get us where we want to go. But that's a big "should probably."

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This puts even more emphasis on Futchner to get a run game going. So Ben doesn't "have to" throw 50 times per game.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To me, Ben just doesn't seem on the same page yet with all the "practically brand-new" receivers he has.

Claypool, Ebron, even DJ since Ben missed last year. And also Washington to some degree, since he is so young.

He also probably doesn't feel comfortable with the musical chairs at O-Line this season, but Ben has been doing well enough to win.

I'm more concerned with Ben choosing to force it deep to Claypool so often. Until that is more of a sure thing he is just wasting downs. I'd feel better if we had a guy like Heath Miller on the team for possession downs. Vance has let me down in that regard.

Run game needs to be more of a factor. I heard some good things happened in the Jags game, like Ben taking snaps from under center and even using play-action. Connor and Snell are straight line runners. Hopefully Dotson coming back helps the run game improve as well.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020