1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

God....I wish this wasn't true!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Okay, I am going to bring up the subject nobody wants to face; and hope and pray I never get vindicated.

This ride is exciting and I feel bad for those who gave up on the NFL and the Steelers due to political BS because they are missing a great ride and possibly a historic 7th Super Bowl season. But ……….. there is an anvil hanging over our head its name is Randy Fitchner…directly, and Mike Tomlin indirectly.

If Ben goes down for more than a game or two our incredible season is over. Even a game or two could cost us home field advantage. And everyone including a blind man knows it but doesn’t want to discuss it.

I am dis-heartened by fact that everyone knows that with Fitchner as the OC it doesn’t matter who Ben’s back up is, we become a below average offense if Ben gets hurt. Why dis-heartened? Because everyone from Tomlin up is responsible for putting us in a position to be that vulnerable.

People say that Fitchner is only there because Ben likes him and Ben likes him because Fitchner doesn’t pose any threat to Ben doing what Ben wants to do. That is irresponsible management and ownership!

Many of you know how much I respect Ben for his grit, his never-ending drive to win, and his God-given talent. That being said, Ben is just one piece of a system, albeit the most important piece. To put the Steelers in such a vulnerable position for one player’s ego is irresponsible!

We all saw what happened last year and it wasn’t pretty. I was extremely critical of Mason Rudolph last year but I am beginning to wonder just how much of his ineptitude was him and how much was Fitchner? The Steelers say they see huge talent in Rudolph and that he was a steal in the third round. If that’s true, why don’t we see any of that when he starts? There is a huge disconnect somewhere and it is all going on for the third year under Tomlin’s nose.

I single out Tomlin only because he has a history of allowing players individual egos to hurt the team. Maybe it’s not Tomlin, maybe it’s Colbert or Rooney, but there is a gun pointed at the Steelers head and although it may only have one bullet in it, representing the odds of Ben playing the entire season unhurt, it could end everything in the blink of an eye. And that is irresponsible!

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah our offensive play calling could definitely do us in. I’m hoping things are just vanilla on purpose but I doubt it

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I like Tomlin but do agree he let players get away with too much. The first time AB took a penalty for that after TD bull**** it should have been his last. That stuff is on the Coach. I think Tomlin has changed a bit and that he now reels players in much better. Not sure, just one fans thoughts.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is true for most teams if their starting QB goes down. I'm not much on Fitchner, but there has been some more creativity on offense this season. Maybe that has more to do with Matt Canada? I personally don't think these OC's are as bad as fans make them out to be. Look at the Ravens right now. last year Greg Roman was a genius. This season Ravens fans want him fired.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't think anyone here knows more about what is going on with this team than those in the Steeler organization. I trust those running a 10-0 team will do what is best for the team regardless of how it may look to other experts. As Maximus once put it, "are you not entertained"?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We just went 10-0. There can't be anything wrong with the team or coaching. Tomlin says the only thing perfect about us is our record...but the record means everything. So everything is perfect. Can't you just be happy? Geesh!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't buy that the OC is there because Ben wants to do his own thing. The issue is the offense is terrible when running Fichtner's plays. I almost had a stroke when I found that the offense abandoned the plays called and made them up on the fly. The problem is the made up plays worked and Fichtner's designed offense was total garbage. He is doing the same thing Haley started to do, and that was running the same plays out of the same formations all the time.

When Bell was the RB he mentioned that problem. He said the Jags defense knew the play and where it was going before the ball was snapped. Haley started to become very predictable. The same thing with Fichtner, remember when the wildcat worked last season? It worked for a handful of plays and after that he was running it all the time. Watch the previous 3 games, especially the game against the ratbirds. On most of the pass plays the LBer's didn't just drop back into coverage, they immediately went to specific spots.

Watch the run plays from that game, you'll notice right before the snap the LBers will shift right to the gap the run is going to and even the safeties cheated up but they cut off the edge to keep Connor from bouncing it outside. The runs were covered extremely well because they knew right where to be which is why it was stuffed for no gain most of the time. When Ben drew up his own plays in the huddle they had success, why? Because the defense was reacting to the formations they were running but the play was different than what they were doing before. Fichtner is a joke and we know this by watching other not named Ben play.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Stop it please.

the Pittsburgh Steelers are 10-0!!!!
    We are beating the good teams and destroying the bad teams. Our defense is playing at a very high level. Our quarterback looks as comfortable as ever in running the offense. Our offensive line is giving him plenty of time. Special teams are very good with the best returner since rookie season Antonio Brown.

The only flaw right now is the running game, and every team has a flaw, and most have numerous flaws.

Please enjoy what we are experiencing. And please stop looking for something to ***** about. It’s not worth it in life and certainly not for your football team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is not a *****, and I love being undefeated, but I wish we could have scored more in the first quarter. Had me nervous about the Jax jinx when we were losing after the 1st qtr. .

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This team is weird, 10-0, but have yet to see them play just a down right 60 minutes, sometimes they play 30 sometimes 15, sometimes 45, but yet they win.

I don't fault Randy, I think you can see the Ben and Matt Canada influence to the play calling. Ben is the pure cure compared to last year. The guy is totally underrated by the league and Sports News media it's not even funny.

The run game isn't much to be excited about, but is it play calling our purely execution of the line and running back.

Everyone is like use Derek Watt more, OK if Derek Watt is coming in your sending off Chase Claypool or Johnson, I want those guys on the field.

It was nice to see Conner have a little better day, we will need a better running game at times, but the dink and dunk serves more of the running game for the Steelers.

Steelers success has been the turnover differential, TOP, and limiting mistakes of penalties. It has got to them to 10-0 thus far.

I still feel that we lose a game or two, I don't feel that we will go 16-0, but that isn't important, going undefeated in the playoffs is the important part.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can certainly do some meaningful discussion even if Stone thinks I’m incapable of such, but these posts you make are ridiculous. For the record I think there are areas that could use plenty of improvement and some discussion on the board is great, but some of you guys get hung up on something with the team that you think is a huge problem and you won’t stop harping on it till everyone sees it your way. JMO

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    KC is the measuring stick because they won the SB last year and look like a true contender once again, if not the favourite. We can be proud of 10-0 all we want, but at this point surely we're all thinking about playoff success, and that means likely going through KC. If our D plays well like it usually does, we can beat them. If we can't get sacks or turnovers, can our offence hang with Mahomes? That's a concern for sure.

I believe our players are good enough to play with anyone, it's the playcalling I'm worried about. Whatever the reason Fitchner is the OC is irrelevant at this point. That's a discussion for a later time. The paycalling needs to improve significantly though otherwise we'll be relying on our D to help us beat KC, and I don't like those odds. Mahomes doesn't get sacked much and rarely turns the ball over. They also don't rely on a running game. They'll run if they can, but have no problem abandoning it altogether and chucking it all over the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'm not much on the play calling at times either, but please don't try to blame Rudolph sucking on Fitchner. Rudolph sucks because he sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t even know if he sucks.

16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Even in green font, you still make it about you. Kudos.

So there's hope.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I noticed the previous two weeks, that KC only had 50 and 36 yards rushing.

Yet people are not concerned about the KC offense not being able to run the ball consistently.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    What is a rational comment doing on Steelers Talk? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It's not about hanging with Mahomes. Our offense doesn't play against him. It's about our offense winning against their defense. A complete game with no turnovers is a win for our offense. We can score on that defense. We can score 30.

We are most definitely going to be relying on our D to help us beat them. In what universe would that not be a thing? And honestly, I believe our defense, on their best day, is able to keep KC under 24 points.

Sounds kind of like the Steelers, doesn't it?

I think the real question is how many points can we put up on that defense and how many can they put up on ours?

At full strength, (and unless Mahomes plays safety as well qb) 30-24, Steelers.

20. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Let’s use KC as a measuring stick. Our offense will score 28 - 35 points against that defense, maybe more they are very vulnerable. Mahomes is the best QB in football but the Steelers are the most complete Team. Also don’t think for one moment that Mahomes will stand back there like last night and throw the ball everywhere. Steelers have a front 4 to get pressure but also unlike previous years can go man and blitz. Mahomes will be hit and a lot, not sacked but hit and this will take a toll. Should be a great game and if the game can be in Pittsburgh, even better.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I know you are capable of meaningful discussion. Here's what I don't get......when someone tries to discuss a weakness, you and others try to stop that discussion by saying "we are 7-0, 8-0, 9-0, etc. If someone tells you your hair is on fire and you say "no it's not, I feel great", someone is going to repeat that your hair is on fire, and they will keep repeating it until you explode or acknowledge that your hair is on fire. Trying to make everyone ignore what you don't wish to discuss, just because you don't like to discuss it, will NEVER work.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Please stop with the "we are 10-0, there is nothing that isn't perfect".

If you can't discuss imperfections without it ruining your day, that's on you......and I thank God I don't have to work with you:cool:

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    As the ONE true fan said yesterday, you are not a true fan. My take, I can watch a movie and enjoy it immensely, see every movie critic gave it 4 stars (perfect) and 10 thousand others can give that rating a thumbs up. I then state I love the pic, but felt yada yada and blah blah blah. I give it 3.5 stars. That does not mean I am not a fan of the great work, it does not make the movie any different than, it is what is it. Others can disagree, call me an Ahole and violently protest my words. The Steelers are 10-0, some feel like accepting that and wave the pom poms. The fact that you (I) or anyone else critique the team or performances in a different light in the end means nothing, the team is 10-0, and nothing we say is going to change anything.

This is a discussion forum (last I knew not run by Pravda), so differing opinions should be welcome, digested, disputed, and either agreed or disagreed with. No one is more (or less) of a fan by sharing their views.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Creativity, maybe. Good solid play calling....not so much. I agree with what you are saying about OC's and I recently read that of all coaching positions, OC gets the most hate. Last year the world was in love with Jackson because the world wants to be entertained, those who look at it as football knew he wasn't the real deal and maybe Roman is experiencing that wild ride?

I don't know who the one true fan might be, there are so many of them here:drinks:

If you think about it, its never the so-called nay-sayers who try to change the opinions of others or their way of being a fan. It's always the shangri-la guys who insist that others change the way the act as a fan.

That should explain it all very succinctly!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  25. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Are you more worried about their offence vs our defence or our visa versa? We're looking *really* good right now in terms of completion % (#1 at like 54%) of course we've not played someone of PM's caliber yet. I think if we can get a sniff of a running game going it will be a good show. Gotta say i'm worried about Bell giving us fits.