1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin Says Randy Fichtner Has Been ‘Fantastic’ This Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 31, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

I can now see why notable users like @Lambert do not like Tomlin. States Randy has been great in one objective area but then states the entire offense did not perform well in another. Nevermind the lack of accountability.

This seems to be the proverbial "Train of Contradictions" that have been indirectly alluded to by some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    OL Randy got exposed without the Savior. But he will get a mulligan. So will the rest of the coaching staff.

Funny how the O Line struggled after having a banner season in 2018. The difference is coaching. Quality coaching.

Injuries. They happen. You have a full week to prepare. They have weapons besides Juju They have a slew of running backs. Their is plenty of time to formulate a game plan.

They just didn't use the opportunity properly. Really look at the record. The last 3 games they melted down. The friggen crows ran all over this defense. That scrub RG 2 1/2 was laughing and dancing. They lost against the scrubs. Both the Buffalo game and Jets game were winnable.

Littered with 1st round picks a nitwit could coach this defense. Oh wait...

The 3 game meltdown is on coaching. Right at the feet of the head coach. Please justify why it wasn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

I have said repeatedly that Mike is a great person and a good leader. I know he has a good record and a ring, though I believe he did very little to earn the latter, but, whatever. I don't mind the Captain Cliche stuff either so long as necessary actions are actually taken by the organization. There is no need to denigrate someone publicly or show your hand to opponents. It's all part of the scenery. What bothers me are his and his coaches', numerous scheme, preparation, and game management failures.

Beyond the HC concerns, are the ownership failures. Outside of any public statements, Fichtner should absolutely be fired, regardless of what Ben wants, and we all know he won't be. It's not the first time we've seen this either. Why? Does Tomlin have the ability to fire/hire coordinators? Does Kevin? We do know who has the ultimate decision making power. I've called Art II a coward. That's a harsh word. I guess he could just be ignorant or maybe he's really only interested in making money. Regardless, there is a lack of organizational accountability.

I'm not a championship-or-bust fan, I enjoy football, but I want to believe we have a chance at winning the Bowl most years and I haven't believed that in a long time. How many playoff wins have we had in the last decade? Three? That sure as hell isn't the "Standard" the Rooneys created for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Often, it seems like 3-coaches-in-50-years is what ownership cares about above all else. More complacency. It is sad.

Remember when the beloved Tony Dungy got fired in Tampa and the Bucs won the Super Bowl the very next season? The Packers just went 13-3 without McCarthy. The Eagles finally won that Super Bowl after Reid left. Anybody think the four straight disappointing 8-8 seasons in Dallas had anything to do with their talent level? And so on. Good coaches get replaced sometimes. Bad coaches have remained for too long. Sometimes the change works and sometimes not but stability is only good if it creates continued success. We've had a lot of talent in recent years, yet the collective production fell short of expectations. Messages get stale. Flaws prove fatal. Tomlin, if he ever was, is no longer functional here.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea I haven’t seen coaches go through a downfall like this then win a championship but i could be wrong

5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    As long as the Rooneys own the org. their will be no more visting the big show, no hardware nor jewelry presentations. Hang on to your memorabilis, in due time your investments may become redeemable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How long are you a fan of the Steelers? Bill Cowher had down falls as a HC. People said he would never win a Superbowl.

How about Sean Peyton.

In most cases coaches don't have enough consistent success to maintain longevity with one team. Maybe the Steelers should just change coaches every 4 or 5 season to appease some members of the fan base?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Standard is the Standard. Wasted years of a someday HOF QB as we watched a defense turn into dust year after year. This is a total organizational fail.

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This again fall on Tomlin. His evaluation skills are garbage. When he speaks of practice ... you would think , that the offense is gonna have a great game. But, when they take the field. You can't tell if they even played together at all. Tomlin is a great motivating speaker... it's just too bad that it doesnt translate to the field. What, he need to do is grow some balls and tell the team how he really feel and take over totally ... sink or swim. Stop trying to politically correct!

9. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers had several opportunities to win Superbowls with Ben. Ben had more opportunities to compete for and win championships than Brees, Manning, Rivers, Rogers, Wilson, and almost every QB playing during his era not named Brady.

I don't understand people who talk about wasted years. I think people need a little perspective. I guess people like to let the disappointments rule their judgment?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mike Tomlin would make a great politician.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good coach....bad coach...fire...don’t fire...

whatever.....please stop with the notion that it would be some knee jerk reaction. Why don’t we be like this team and fire their coaches all the time? Really? He’s been here 12 years do some of you guys realize how long that is?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not even unemployed. There are guys like Fitchner in every organization I have worked for, riding the coattails of someone with some pull. Your lucky if they aren't a dipstick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its been a decade.

14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I consider making the playoffs an opportunity to win the Superbowl. Last time the Steelers made the playoffs was 2 years ago.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he was fantastic this season, I'm terrified to see what a bad season would look like. :goofy:

• Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he meant to say....****tastic

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I don't see any changes being made to the coaching staff with the exception of a QB being added. Hopefully.

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You are talking to the wrong fans, then. There was no rejoicing in my household over bad coaching last year or any year in recent memory. Bad coaching can only be slightly covered with gaudy numbers in the passing game.

And if his STUPID assertions regarding Fuchtnuts and pass protection don't give his apologists at least a modicum of concern for his ability, then I don't know what will. This tool isn't a coach. He's a blithering idiot.

"What about your OC?"
    "Well, he was under fire all season with a revolving door at QB and trying to find his way with an offense that simply wasn't ready or prepared on any level. In spite of that, I was very pleased with his demeanor, attitude, and command of the offense. We just didn't get it done and that falls more on me than him."

How about something like that? How about some honesty and directness for a change?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I've stated this a few times...No matter what happened, " HOF Ben was going to be the excuse "...Play well, 9-7, 10- 6 ...Amazing!What a gutsy bunch, great coaching job, What a testament...8-8, 7-9, 6-10..." What did you expect, we lost Ben "

Last season, remember...8-8...Tomlin pissed, tough talk, snarling at reporters after the last game..." There WILL be changes! Not exceptable! Played way below our expectations! Minority Owners wanted him gone...Teppers left for Carolina because they wouldn't make a change!

This seasons Tomlin after last game ...Yucking it up " Fitchner did a great good, great strides made by young players, overcame adversity "...

Lmao..Dude has a lifetime ( or as long as he WANTS ) Greatest gig in Sports, no accountability, play like ****, no discipline in the lockeroom...

No worries whatsoever about your job, and laugh about it...

Mark this post and date down for you Tomlin Lovers because...I can't wait for your excuses next year when we suck again...My prediction already is...The main one will be...

Well, We were counting on Ben, and he just didn't recover like we thought he would now...We HAVE to give Tomlin a FEW more years to start over with a new QB lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The success of next season rides entirely on a recovering, 38 year old Ben being healthy and good. So, 2020 is in serious jeopardy. That contract is a disaster.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We weren't 8-8 last season.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No, it doesn’t. It requires the lack of revolving door at rb,wr, ol etc.

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's an interesting comparison. I remember the time came when apparently Cowher went into the office with his resignation in hand, told them it was either him or Donahue. I do not think Colbert and Tomlin have that tension, perhaps if they did the franchise could finally make some decisions, by that I mean getting beyond this seemingly mediocre bind.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You can keep your passing numbers game. We were fifth in the league in ppg with crap for defense. That’s how you end up 8-8.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Tomlin says Fichtner never complains. He shouldn’t. He’s lucky to have a damn job. Ben likes Randy, so he isn’t going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1