1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Ramsey .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No thanks, too much of a pain in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey AQL,
    Not trying to be a smart ass, at all, but I am curious, how does Butler use Watt incorrectly?
    How would you use him differently?
    I think he is arguably the best player on our defense, as young as he is...
    I would only rate Heyward, as better than him, overall..
    I would pretty much just let him do what he wants,
    He`s pretty good at finding the football, and going to get it, if it`s in the QB`s hands, or the RB`s, or going to a receiver, how could you use him better?
    Different position? Different responsabilities?
    Serious question, because I think he has helped us tremendously, since he has been here..
    How could we get even more production from him?

Sorry, my bad, don`t wanna hijack this thread, but maybe you could pm me, or start another
    thread on how to use Watt better?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    100% yes. I still would make the deal. You look at what Khalil Mack did for that Chicago defense. 1 guy changed that whole system. Ramsey is that type of guy.

I have heard his mouth, but no more so that I ever heard Joey Porters when he was playing. Plus he did not leak that he wanted a trade...that seems to have come from the Jags.....He is keeping his mouth fairly quietly..and is still showing up for work and wanting to play. His teammates love him and want him to stay. That was not the case for AB in Pitt or Oak...... As for the cap...we easily will have the money going forward...we had the money for Bell's 14 mill a year...we had the money for AB's 17 mill a year.... and they will both be long from the books next season. You sign him long term (an extension could be agreed upon before the trade is complete.) Then you have Ramsey, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Haden, and Nelson for the next 2 or 3 season at least. Then the secondary is 100% fixed....nothing left but scheme.

You can play more man...you can jam those Patriots at the line....You can man up Ramsey on AB

I would offer a 2020 2nd and our 4th and a 2021 1st + a player (Burns or Sutton?) for Ramsey and a 2020 3rd

I think that might get it done.

HACK

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For one, Keith Butler has been on record in saying that T.J. would be used in a variety of ways upon rushing the passer this upcoming season. That is fine by me and I was curious to see what he was cooking up in the proverbial kitchen. So far, outside of a couple of inside stunts here and there, nothing!!!

My issue is that, if this were the case, why wasn't T.J. and Bud flipping sides a bit against New England or even Seattle?! Bear in mind I am not saying they should switch permanently but flip sides on plays every now and then in game. T.J. is not a rookie anymore. He is a superstar talent who needs his potential maximized. Keith Butler is simply not the answer here.

Keep in mind both have experience playing both Linebacking spots. In addition, the team as a whole has preached versatility. Why not employ some of that?!

As for how I would use T.J. a bit better, find a defensive coach who comes from the Pete Carroll tree using the 4-3 Under; the "Seattle Style" defense as you would know. The 4-3 Under and Tomlin's modified Tampa 2 are a perfect fit for each other; doubly so given our new acquired talent. T.J. Watt is essentially tailor made for being the LEO of the defense. He can not only defend the run and rush the passer but also defend the pass.

More importantly though, dumping the likes of Dupree and having Ola or whoever man the other spot would also boost this defense. Dupree is what he is; a disappointment. Give another player a shot. Ola is deserving of such. If not him, acquire someone via the draft or Free Agency. I would also add some wrinkles to it as well such as moving Terrell around properly within the scheme to further maximize his talents.... like Keith was SUPPPOSED to do after the 2018 draft!!! Better yet

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Our 2020 cap situation isn’t great. Our very good offensive and defensive lines come with a large cap hit.

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, AQL,
    but lets not hijack this thread...
    I figured TJ was doing good at his LB spot, didn`t notice that he hadn`t switched sides...
    As long as he got to the QB, or the ball, I was happy.
    Thank You for pointing out the nuances....
    For better or worse, we are stuck with Butler this year, at least...

After this, who knows?
    I hear a lot of people saying Tomlin will be gone if we don`t make the playoffs...
    I find that hard to believe, given our coaching history, but all this is a place for a conversation on a different thread...
    Thank you for answering my question... See ya around.:hi::yeehaw:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Why not, we can have a lockdown 2ndary. Maybe he will get so mad and fight Tomlin on the sidelines and they can both get suspended.

8. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    BTW, all these talking heads saying the chiefs will pull the trigger are dreaming. Chiefs won’t have the cap space to do it. Kelce got to get paid, Mahomeboy going to get $40mil a year. It won’t work out, Ramsey will want a new contract pronto.

I have a very bad feeling New Cheatland will end up trading for him. Not that they need him, but as a strategic move to block KC. I could see them getting him and the. Trading him to a bad team for a little less compensation just to block KC. That would be some 4 dimensional hoodie crap

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Heyward and Watts are pedigree players. They are gifted and talented enough to get the job done. But, others that need to be developed are lacking because of butler being the DC. He need to go back to being lber coach. Or go out and get K. Greene as lber coach

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My pleasure!! Always happy to help! :)

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steelers probably don’t have the draft capital or the cap space to trade for Ramsey. Jags want two first round picks apparently and Ramsey wants $20m a year ASAP. It probably rules out the Chiefs as well? It will be very interesting to see where he ends up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you mean miami could end up with a top 10 or 15 pick.:cool:

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    That's our problem now. Seems people care too much about someone as a person instead of what they do on the field. The main focus is can a player help me win games.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    NE won't get him and they don't need to block out anyone lol. doubt they fear anyone or anything. they are great, they cheat, and have the refs on their side

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wow i sound like a bengals fan.

WHO GAY?!

16. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    We’ll see Friday morning when they trade him. He might go to ravens or hawks as well

• Like Like x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He wants to be the highest paid corner in the league, that leaves us out even if we gave up the rest of our draft picks to get him, and with ben eating up our cap space we are broke for at least two more seasons or more.....

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is zero chance this happens for several reasons.

Draft capital, they will want a first for next year which obviously we don’t have. I don’t see them waiting to 2021 for that.

Cap space, we have something like 50 million tied up in two players not even on the roster right now.

Personality. They aren’t going to venture back into that, you’ll only see high character guys from here on out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    And not throw a fit if we lose.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Jaguars are supposedly asking for two first-round picks. The Steelers don't have the ammunition. Fitzpatrick is a better fit, anyway. He is further away from seeking a big payday and their greater need was at safety, not cornerback.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Well put. Agreed on all points. Ramsey was never a good fit, even less so after the Fitzpatrick deal.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry for adding to the threadjack here, but I'm not sure the part about Edmunds fits with the rest of your post. I agree that the team should be doing more to maximize Watt. He is on the sideline too often. I understand giving him a little break here and there, but he needs to be out there on key downs. Take the third-and-two against the Seahawks that became Penny's long touchdown run. Instead of Watt blowing up the play, we had Chickillo whiffing on the tackle in the backfield.

It makes sense to move him around to make it tougher for offenses to get him blocked. Butler made it far too easy for the Patriots to take Watt out of the game most of the day in the opener.

Moving outstanding players around to allow them to make more plays is a very good idea. So why would they be worried about moving Edmunds around? To this point, he's not a very good player. When you move a player around like that, you are putting trust in that player. Edmunds hasn't earned that trust.

Now if you said they should be trying to maximize Fitzpatrick, I would agree, though they may need to give him some time to settle in before doing more creative things with him.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We are not doing this again. Agree to disagree.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like the rotation stuff they are doing, at least not to the extreme that they do it. Need to have your best players on the field in certain situations.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Simply put, Watt has proven himself. Your argument was that he has proven himself the type of player who should be deployed creatively to maximize his production and on that point, I agree with you.

Then you went on to say the same should be done for Edmunds, who has proven himself to be below average so far. He may still be better than that, but right now, he's nothing special. Wouldn't it make more sense to utilize somebody like Fitzpatrick or Bush that way rather than Edmunds?

It's a reasonable question. The only reason not to do this again is you don't have a good answer for it, which is fine. It would be better to just say as much. Thanks.