1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Catch Rule"....now under the hood for further review.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m intrigued as to how the rule became so unintuitive in the first place.

Getting rid of the going to ground rule would be good but I’m not convinced they’ll not replace it with something more contrived.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    They are also discussing a maximum 15 yard penalty for PI, just like Ncaa. That should be interesting. I think I would be in favor of that. But sure would suck if AB gets tackled everything he goes deep to save the TD.

I really wish they would change offensive holding to 5 yards. Some calls are tricky tacky and 10 yards on a 2nd down pretty much guarantees a punt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been on the 15yard PI rule for years. There is just way too much inconsistency in such a game altering call. A personal foul is 15 yards but you can get awarded a 40 - 50 yard penalty on a questionable call. Not like we get them in our favor anyway so.........and to counter the argument that DBs will just grab and tackle when they get beat ,they've had the rule in place for years in college and it's never been a noticeable factor in the game....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Pass Interference should have been 15 yards ever since 2013 as far as I see it.

Since then, the NFL is so focused on track meets that they literally ripped critical pieces of their product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe a catch "evolved" as instant replay, hi-def and super slo-mo hi def each evolved. This was never really an issue before these hi-tech facets were introduced because all that was truly called in the old days (ca 2008 +/-) were blatant/obvious drops even with a ref standing right on top of the play. Look what's happened in the MLB with slides and tags - it's literally down to the millimeter on many booth calls. But you're right - who knows what will replace the catch rule since hi tech capabilities will always temp the Alberto Riveron's to take the scrutiny up a notch.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow someone on my side finally.....

8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought possession with two feet down was pretty black and white.

Jesse caught the ball at his chest and extended it out (which should’ve been ruled a football move).

Replay should be verifying that the receiver got two feet down (or a hip, etc) and has possession.

If they lose possession after that, then it’s a fumble.

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh Dez Bryant gonna be mad.

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The incompetence of a multi billion dollar industry is mind blowing. They admit they promoted an ill prepared and incompetent referee to a position to decide games on a whim. Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The 15 yard max penalty on a PI would help bring back defense in the NFL. It would be huge. I support it.

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You guys are missing what pass interference should be. It needs to be like a penalty shot in hockey if the play would have been more than say 35 yards. Quarterback gets a free pass to his favorite wide receiver and the defense gets one player at the goal line who gets a shot at tackling him after the catch.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I would love to see the NFL take the NCAA Pass interference rule.

16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    yes we have such great tacklers in the D backfield!

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, this is certainly a large part of it. Before replay, there wasn't a zoomed in image that rewound over and over in a way that the human eye couldn't perceive. Now the rule is based on fractions that weren't previously visible, and it's gotten ridiculous.

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But, but, without the existing PI rules, how is Flacco ever going to advance the ball?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    My Cali friend - this may be the first and only case of misuse of green font in the history of this distinguished MB. Most here probably believe that this statement could be made with a straight face. :thumbs_up:

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Which is why I don't see a change. It will hurt the offense and bore the casual fan, thus it doesn't have a shot to pass.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ........might as well retire

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It could!

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    As long as there is replay, the catch rule is unreformable. The NFL has dinked around with catches for a least 10 yrs and people are never happy with it. If a guy loses contact with the ball 1/4" as he goes out of bounds is it a bobble? How long does he need to maintain possession? When does a reciever become a runner?

Years ago, an official made a call and that was it. Now, to 'get the call right' everything is reviewed frame by frame. You see stuff you never did before. So you have define legalistic 'elements' of what each phase of the catch is. More laws, more lawyers, less justice.

I'll wager this. Whatever well intentioned change they make to 'improve' the catch rule, you won't like it.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think the problem isn’t so much the rule itself, but the way Riveron created his own, rule-violating review standard.

“What they ended up doing, was they ended up being too technical. They looked at a play and took it from a 0-base, ignoring what was called on the field and trying to guess what it basically should have been called from five different angles. And it got them in trouble.“

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The undeniable dilemma is this: you have replay, allegedly, to 'get the call right'. Replay enables deep and thorough analysis 'to get the call right'. And it therefore MUST be technical, deeply so. Riveron is the consequence, not the cause. The more angles you have, the more time you have to study things, the easier it is to decide that you saw something that shows it wasn't a catch. In the pursuit of getting 'the call right' a sysyem was devised that increases the chances that a call gets reversed. Especially when the league tells video officials that they'll get fired if they don't follow the rules as defined to the letter.

Fire Riveron, if you want. Hope you feel better. But as long as we gave a a replay system that depends on microscopic study of bang-bang plays, reversals will happen and mistakes will be made. Regardless of who sits in the replay chair.