1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

One Of The Hardest Things For Me About Tonight

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Oct 2, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The Steelers allowed Justin Forsett to run for a career high 150 yards. 5.6 YPC. When has a Steelers defense allowed a running back to run over them at will like that?

I know, the defense made some great stands tonight, and really did more than you could hope for in terms of pass coverage and pressuring Flacco, but the run defense was disturbing nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The run defense has been getting worse ever since Hampton retired. Its obviously hard to find a Hampton, but the guys they have are not up to par in my opinion. McCullers has potential but he was hurt tonight.

Harrison and Farrior were exceptional ruin stoppers from the past as well, but I'm not ready to pin the lack of run defense on the LBs quite yet. Offensive linemen are picking them up too easily without resistance from our interior d-line,.

3. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I will also say that even though Harrison was slow early in the game, he really came on strong at the end. He and Dupree are our best OLBs atm.

As for Dupree, I am getting more and more excited about him each week. He seems to really have a fast first step off the snap.

Jones, yet again, disappoints me.

(Did anyone also notice that Golden replaced Will Allen instead of Shamarko? Is Shamarko really that bad or did Golden suddenly get good? I am betting on the first)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's harder than the missed field goals and 4th down tries and some other questionable stuff? We knew the D is a work in progress - the other stuff is just plain dumb.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No Shazier and lots of Cam Thomas really hurt tonight.

Yeah, Dupree is athletic. He gets there in a hurry.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    One of the hardest. Those were obvious and much discussed (disgust). :)

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What's even worse for me is the fact that a rat now owns the longest kick at Heinz as well. That REALLY sucks that THEIR guy can kick better in our house than WE can!

8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    There's another pustule that needs popping. Have him carry Scobee's bags out of Dodge. Scobee sucks, but at least he tries.

Cam Thomas has been stealing a paycheck for far too long.

9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Much to be disgust (discussed) about this game.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    At points the defense looked well on track to regaining its old form. But if we can't stop the run... and if we persist in playing Cam Thomas... aaargh.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    While I think there's lots of improvement that can happen, I think a lot of it is on Cam Thomas. Most of the times I saw that the Ravens had a decent run I saw Thomas being pushed right out of the picture. Give credit where it's due to Baltimore. It seemed as though they ran Thomas's way every time he was in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is nothing new we've been suspect against the run the last couple years.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Funny how ppl said no big deal with suisham went down. 4-0 if not 3-1 with squeeze. Disgusted

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    We have not beaten a good team yet, and both of our losses is from AFC teams.... I think Tomlin stuck with his boy Vick, when the game was on the line, just to prove a point......Well he proved it .... they both suck... And his lil QUOTE "ill take the blame for this loss", means nothing to him.....

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe I am just being a Homer but I was pleased with effort tonight. We had a back up qb who had 4 days to get ready and hasn't even been in the building long.
    We played hard and let's face it, the Ravens were 0-3 but aren't a horrible team. We hit one field goal and yes I am putting all of this on scobee, we win.

The defense played hard. Timmons was everywhere and brought the pain when he got there. I think more bright spots than not
    As for coaching, I know I am gonna get slammed but I was crazy about the qb sweep but I think the call to go was right.
    The second 4th call was a good one just poorly executed. Again it's on players. U could have gave bell the ball sure but I think the results could have been the same
    The only thing that pissed me off is if ben plays, we win going away

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Nothing new? When have we allowed a mediocre back to rush for 150 yards? :confused:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Also, anyone blaming McLendon for the terrible run defense last night has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. I rarely speak that way, but it's just so ridiculous.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Defense is not the blame but yes, best work on tightening up that run Defense. They got gashed. But all in all the Defense has potential.

Cam Thomas. This POS should not see the field again when McCullers is healthy. I can't believe he is even on the roster.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    everyone wanted a pass rush and good pass defense, they got it last night. Can't have everything on a rebuilding defense lol.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Aside from Cam Thomas, the biggest run defense issue was the consistent over pursuit against their zone runs. The cutback was consistently wide open. That's Forsett's greatest strength, and we somehow didn't figure it out.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd like to add that my disappointment also includes how we continually make some mediocre WR's look like studs too.... Kamar Aiken? Who the heck is that? Not as many touches as Forsett but he always seemed to be there making a huge catch at a critical moment. Thankfully, I fell asleep in my lazy boy early 4th quarter and "missed" Scobee's meltdown.

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    The Defense is not the blame but yes, but the tackling still sucks!

23. rockken50

rockken50 Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Did Jarvis Jones do anything last night? I didn't hear the announcers on CBS call out his name at all.

24. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I will agree that the Steelers' defense showed "flashes" of brilliance. But they still allowed the Ravens to come back at tie, then win the game. I will also state that a big part of that is the poor field position left them by the inept offense. Why, oh why did Haley think that with a lead at halftime, the Steelers can go conservative and play not to lose the game. The failure of the kicking game was pitiful and needs to be addressed immediately. Once again, Tomlin showed he cannot manage a game clock to close out a game. Once again, Haley leaves me scratching my head at his play-calling. All-in-all, I thought this game was another in the Tomlin tradition of playing not to lose and getting bitten on the rear end. I hold Tomlin accountable, because it will not change unless the Rooneys tell him it HAS to change.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw a tackle throw him to the ground handily on the one play. I got to say I don't like the 9 LB rotation they are doing. Let the starters play. God help us when Silverback leaves.

I'm almost wondering if Dupree should go to the right side next year... and try to get Jarvis strong enough to play the other side.