1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    In fairness, Rudolph might not be a QB1, but he is also not a #3 backup in this league where the Steelers put him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The entire league put him there. If any team had wanted him as their No. 2 going into the 2023 season, he wouldn't have had to come crawling back to the Steelers for their No. 3 job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers did not put him at #3 Mason did that on his own

Especially considering the 6 years of fair chances he was given

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mason did struggle, he did not earn anything, that is for sure.

We can say that both he and 'the system' was broken.

he had horrible coaching.

he did blossom one early winter in 2023 :cool: It was a fun 4 games to watch. Tomlin should thank his lucky stars or he would be UNEMPLOYED today

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I doubt if he'd be unemployed, they would've extended him even if they had lost those last 3 games. He'd have to have 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row before that happens

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The point I think everyone needs to really understand in all of this is, Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, and Mason Rudolph are ALL backups. It doesn't matter who the best backup was. None of them should be starting for the Steelers right now over Russell Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    He had a 0.500 record in 2019. That is solid backup play.

Tomlin decided Rudolph didn't fit the profile of a 'mobile QB' so it wasn't worth giving him more opportunity.

8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Well, I'm not all that sure if Wilson is anymore mobile at this point. From what I've seen from Rudolph, I'd say his mobility is underrated. He's no Jackson or Hurts, but he can move fairly well when he has to

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. If it was about mobility, Fields would be starting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So everyone that thinks Tomlin is making all the picks ......must also think Tomlin had more power than Cowher. No???
    Because Cowher didn't.

11. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I'm really curious how some claim to know what Tomlin or any other coaches are thinking, why they made the decision they made, or just their personal views in general.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The entire league had the opportunity to sign him as a backup before the 2023 season. He was stuck crawling back to the Steelers as their third-stringer because no team wanted him as their No. 2. Even this past offseason, he had so sign a cheap deal with the Titans with no guarantee he was even going to be No. 2. They made him compete with Malik Willis for the job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Unfair charges about him by garrett and pc thinking made him a 3rd stringer and a hot potato no one wanted

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn’t know Mason’s dad was a pastor ;)

15. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    fair enough response to my post mrs. tomlin

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Malik Willis just went from being the 3rd team QB for the Titans to being the starter for the Packers. Jordon Loves knee injury looked pretty bad last night. I'm sure the Packers are going to have to bring someone in to be the interim QB, they couldn't possibly go with Willis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The league is a copycat league and thought Steelers knew what they were doing. The entire league also passed up on Kurt Warner. Mason’s stats dwarfed the other two qb stats during Titans training camp. However people like new shiny things that is why Pickett and Levi are starting over him. If Mason gets a chance to start over three games, I predict that qb rating would be around 93-94 which would be not elite, but also slightly better than average. Kirk Cousin, Neil O Donnell type

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I suspect in this scenario he would have gone looking for what he could get and when nothing else was offered he would have signed for one year with the Steelers

Then he would have been given one more fair chance to compete for the #3 spot

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've heard that conspiracy theory before. Perhaps it was from you. It has never made sense. I don't understand why some folks here can't accept that Rudolph simply hasn't been good most of the time since he arrived in the NFL.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Kurt Warner was an unknown with a crazy journey. Teams knew about Mason Rudolph. They knew he was a very good college quarterback who failed so badly in his one opportunity to be an NFL starter that he was benched for Duck Hodges. The NFL is a quarterback-hungry league. Teams aren't just going to assume the Steelers know what they are doing and pass on a guy if he can play. The excuse-making for Rudolph is getting silly again.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Both of these made me laugh. LoL:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett has to be kicking himself right now. He’d be starting tomorrow. I’m assuming they don’t trade for Fields had Pickett stayed.

If the QB room was Wilson, Fields and Pickett, wonder who would be going tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The only thing silly was your devotion to KP8 and your prediction how Mason would fail last year in regular season. Mason got his job back from Duck and kept KP8 on the bench. He’s in a sweet spot now. He will probably get to play this year, and will probably be more effective than any of the qb’s Steelers have. Pickett will probably be out of the league before Mason with his 16 wonderlic score and small hands.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    One thing I always appreciated about Mason was that he would put his body on the line. He'd try to truck someone for a first down if he had to... He didn't look super great running, but he was definitely willing to do whatever it took.

He will be a fine back up pretty much wherever he goes. He would've been fine if we kept him too, but I also understand why we didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It didn't help that the Steelers didn't evaluate him correctly in 2022. He was a #2. He's a #2 again, and he should have been at least a #2 in 2022 and 2023. Maybe Green Bay traded for the wrong #2.