1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd top 10 head coaches

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 18, 2024.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    At least Shanahan got there, which means he won playoff games. More than we can say for MT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Cowher had all these great players, why didn't he win more than one Super Bowl :shrug:? Fans act like the scouts and the GM didn't help put those roster's together, Cowher didn't do it all on his own.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    No that’s a valid point I call it Cowers team but he was the coach others built the roster as well.

I liked Cowhers attitude and feel he was a solid coach but I had my issues with him as well he was far from perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Harbaugh overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    There are so many factors, but I think an overlooked one is the Coach-QB pairing. Most hall of fame coaches had successful years with a good QB under center.

Take Andy Reid for example, McNabb got old and retired. Reid’s last three years in Philly got progressively worse. Philly fans ran him out of town. He then goes to KC and gets Mahomes and is back in the good graces of fans and media alike.

All of that to say, the team goes as far as the QB will take them, especially in todays league.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Payton without Brees is like Belichik without Brady. Very overrated

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Shanahan should be four and Payton should be six.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do realize that Shanahan took over a team that had just went 3 years before to a SB. L
    Did everyone just start watching football last year???
    I do believe Shanahan took over a team that had just went to the SB(without him as a HC) 3 years before He came there. So why is this different for Tomlin???
    Tomlin has went to two SBs, and won one....Shanahan has went to two SBs as a HC, and lost both.
    Both took over teams that had been to a SB without them within 5 years.....only one has actually won a SB.

9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    What did 'Cowher's Team' do the year before MT? At least use all the facts. I'm not on board with rankings typically anyway. But, we always seem to have this need to rank things. Each season needs to be on it's own merit, not grouped as 1 thing. Each season carries it's own unique story, trials, failures, and successes. Last season will bear very little in how this season goes, and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Ben’s Injury and immaturity had a lot to do with the 2006 season.

There can be no debate Bill had a very solid team but was here for awhile and was burned out when he retired. Couple that with finally winning one and his wife’s health issues it’s easy to see why he stepped away.

I liked MT at first but feel like he has been exposed for some time now besides the .500 thing.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You’ve always made a point of crediting top QBs for coaching success. Well, Shanahan made a SB with Jimmy effin Garappalo and a very inexperienced Brock Purdy. Tomlin did it with a future HOF QB in his prime.

• Like Like x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't win did he???
    Just like Cowher Didn't win without Ben. Both are true, and what does that have to do with it. No matter what is said....Both HC took over a Team that had been to a SB within 4 years of them taking over. Both went to two SBs. One has won a SB, and the other hasn't.
    Again....I believe Shanahan is a good HC, and an awesome play caller, but it doesn't change what is. Just like the whole Warren/Najee stuff. Feelings don't change facts.
    Feelings = I believe Shanahan is a better HC than Tomlin....Facts= they both took over teams that had gone to a SB without them , they both have went to two SB, and only one has a win there.
    Feelings = I think Warren can carry the load for a whole season....Facts = It's all guess work because we haven't seen it, but we know Najee can....because we seen it.
    I Love Warren, and I really like Shanahan, but just because I do...well it doesn't change facts. Feelings don't change facts....no matter how deeply you feel them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So then be fair, and rate Tomlin, and Shanahan fairly. They both took over teams that went to SBs without them.....so rank them for the same amount of time.
    Shanahan has been HC for 7 years.....and is 8-4 in the playoffs....2 SBs, and no SB win.
    Mike Tomlins first 7 years....... 5-3 in the playoffs 2 SBs, and a SB win.

14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Super bowl or nothing mentality again...I know you said that Shanahan is a very good head coach,problem there always has a but next to that, as if it's bad...

You are a great head coach when you are in the contention so often, especially with different QBs, no need to say things like yeah but....I also know that the QB position is the most important, but the supporting cast and head coach matter too

15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Both different situation....Tomlin had a very good team to start his career.The 49ers were in a true rebuild in his first 2 years...Shanahan's resume is very similar to the one of the great Bill Walsh after 7 seasons, the difference,Shanahan came up short of a super bowl twice against one of the best HC and QB of all-time, 2 games that could go one way or the other...like being one play or two away from play in both occasion

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The dork that thinks the ultimate price shouldn't, or doesn't matter.....so he can spout His love for players, and coaches that have never win.
    If It Didn't Matter....They Wouldn't Play The Game.
    They both were in the same contention the same at the same time of them HCing. They both went to two SBs in the 1st 7 year of HCing.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again.....feelings over fact.
    Did they , or not both take over teams that within 4 years had been to a SB???
    Of course some of the players were gone. Not every player that went to the SB with Cowher was on the team when We went back. Neither took over a terrible team.
    If You want to compare them fairly.... Since both took over SB teams.....Shanahan has HC what....7 years....compare the 1st 7 years of both. I already did this above. You can't compare one HC 1st 7 years against the others last 7 years. You, Me, and nobody knows what Shanahan record will be if He is still the HC 10 years from now.

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Context matter in each situation....I agree you can't compare the first 7 years of Shanahan to only the last 7 for Tomlin and Tomlin was great in the first 4 years and it matter big time but this is also true that Tomlin was in a much better situation in 2007 that Shanahan was in 2017 when the 49ers were in a true dumpster fire and in a true rebuilding....You can't compare 2 head coach in a different situation especially at the start of your career...

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For the billionth time
    They both took over teams that had been to a SB within 4 years of them taking it over. Neither had the same exact team that had went to the previous SB.
    One changed the Defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3 ....so of course they had to change more players.....one was smart enough not to.

20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Continue to ignore the context.....

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Rant on, my friend. Rant on.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Marty Schottenheimer will appreciate this take! Sorry - I couldn’t help myself :roflmao:

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Marty was a very good head coach.He deserve some blame for his playoffs issues but he was also the most unlucky coach of all-time....I mean,his offense in the playoffs had 15 fumbles and they did not recover one of those fumble,this is just crazy!

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree with others.

Payton and Shanahan need to be swapped. Colin's bias is showing far more now than it has been in the past couple of seasons.

To say that Payton and Broncos can now contend with the likes of Kansas City and Andy Reid is quite the stretch.

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    WEL....OH YEAH???