1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cam Heyward now talking about leaving Pittsburgh to maybe play in Cleveland if he doesn't get what he wants.

“I have talked to my wife (Allie), and we know the reality, and we have had those talks, and she said it could be fun to play somewhere else. If that is what is needed to be done, then so be it. But I am still enjoying the ride here this year.”

“I still have family in Cleveland … my wife is from Cleveland. We will see. I am not trying to think about all that right now.”
    Cameron Heyward threatens to join Pittsburgh Steelers’ biggest rivals (msn.com)

What is Cam thinking... Is he thinking....He wants to become the highest paid DT in the league now???

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  2. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    guy will have made over $130 million over his career after 2024 and is clearly near the end of his career and not the player he once was.. does he really believe this is the time to start huffing and puffing about a new contract and passively aggressively threaten to leave for a rival? ridiculous.

i get this is a business and i like Cam, but if he thinks he can make more elsewhere after 2024, then he should leave. i don't like us tying up large chunks of money to aging players on the downside of their careers. he's been well taken care of, it's not like the steelers owe him anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This guy also thinks earth is flat…:facepalm::roflmao::shrug: speaking of mashedburn or mashedtaters

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Loser

5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Better yet … “ Go shovel snow”but dont get too close to the edge or you will fall off

6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    So it wasnt Tomlins fault, was big bens?

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Greed.

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

bye Cam

you have been a great soldier

take a team friendly and REDUCED ROLE contract or

C-YA!!!!!

and I can't wait to run at you next year!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This guy is supposed to be a team Captain. This is not the way to lead by example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    when I read that headline I just rolled my eyes. The Browns have about the same amount of cap space as we do at this point this year, I do not know (nor really care) what their future years look like, but Amari Cooper wants a new contract equal with the other WR, and they have a boat load of guys to sign. So if Cam can take that kind of money from them good for him, lol.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It baffles me why Cam would say such a thing. Even if he is thinking about it. Just plan stupid on his part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    If the Steelers give Cam a new contract and pay him around about what he thinks he should be making it's just a big mistake. At his age and recent injuring history...his play is due to fall off. This was the problem with Big Ben, they pushed that can down the road and ultimately hurt the team...losing players like Mile Hilton and Javon Hargrave, who could be cornerstones of this defense, because they couldn't pay them. They need to get younger on the Dline instead of paying a guy a hell of a lot at that age that may become a rotational piece due to his age instead of a bonifide starter.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Cam Heyward: Drama Queen. He believes he is going to play 3 more seasons AFTER this one and is looking for a ridiculous amount a year to get paid i'm sure. Who says they would like to play for a rival while your still under contract? 16 mill to be exact. Is this supposed to be some kind of threat?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...y-somewhere-else-mentions-division-rival/amp/

Play out the season and ba bye.... Captain :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no, I am disappointed in this with him, this late in his career. keep your mouth shut and wait for a deal to be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sometimes it's bad luck. That simple. I believe the Year P. Manning won his last SB was our year, but when You lose (just off the top of My head)....Your number 1 Wr( punt returner also), Your number 1 Rb, and number 2 Rb.....well its hard to win, and that's not even everyone we lost that year.

16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely love Cam Heyward and he win the Mayor of Pittsburgh in a landslide, but at 35 I really don't see a three-year extension being a good business decision. I hope he retires a Steeler and the Cleveland talk is just his angle for contract talks.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It’s been a month and I still couldn’t care less

18. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Not worth 16 mill this year ! Waive his ass ! Let him join AB at CTESPN ! Buh-bye Captain Disapear !!

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree. A seasoned vet, team Captain and an all time Steelers great in the making.
    Seems like a spoiled brat.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean... if Cam can defeat Father Time a la Tom Brady style as an IDL... all the better. Way too much evidence against it.

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Cam's behavior this offseason has been disappointing. I think I'm as sympathetic as they come for players getting their fair share of league money while they can, but Cam is smart enough to know it's a business and how the business works. Sitting out team workouts (while voluntary) and name-dropping rivals isn't the way to get it done, and sets a bad example.

I still think he's a good guy, done a lot for his team, fans, and community. He just hasn't handled this well.

Also, the Browns are currently ~$43M OVER the projected 2025 cap. I don't know that trying to add a 36 y/o DT will be among their top priorities next offseason.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Dont forget, Walter Peyton Man of the Year

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I had to do a double take when they listed the top 49ers under contract, and there was 31 year old former Steeler DT Javon Hargrave and his 4 year $84 million contract he signed last year.

Is this what Cam is wanting??? :) LMAO

24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m sorry, I’ll never get it with these dudes. When does life begin?

I love Hayward and all, but this guy has already earned a LOT of money for himself and his family. He will have a post career as a football talking head somewhere and likely have plenty of investments.

When you already have tens of millions a bunch of times over, why squeeze out every last drop when you could make a deal with the team to have them bring in some extra high level younger talent AROUND YOU and take a big swing at the Lombardi and complete your career. Or go out tryin…

People like me can hate on Brady all they want but he made sure when he took some lesser money that it was spent on juicing up the squad. It helped pay off with endorsement deals elsewhere from being so successful
    On the field. It’s a part of his success. He always had a great O-line so that he could dish.

25. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Man I am more than tired hearing about Cam Heyward...He's been around long enough to know how this works...Unfortunately better and more respected players than him had to also learn this lesson..He made a lot of money for a long time, but it doesn't last forever..