1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

George Pickens WR1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 10, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Working on his route running. Same guy DJ trains with.

Need GP to go nuclear. Good to see him working on his craft. He’s got work to do though, those movements aren’t crisp and Im no expert but looks like his stance is too wide.

Still, good to see him putting in the work.

• Like Like x 3
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Don't know why people think Pickens isn't a WR1. He was 16th in the NFL in yds last year. All the way to 32nd is WR1.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I question his maturity in being a true #1. He has mad skills but can he be an all around receiver? Will he pout if he is not getting enough passes? Will he make the tough catch over the middle?

My hopes are that he takes the leap and shows he can be the true#1.

What's behind him are a lot of question marks. He can't be one of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think he can be the #1, but who is the #2? You need someone to open things up for him otherwise they will just shift coverage his way all game making him ineffective.

Is this Calvin Austin ir Wilson? Both are slot guys it appears. I never tmdid believe the trade rumors, but I am surprised they haven't signed someone as #2.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Can be is the question. As it stands what we’ve seen from him is a 2. So we have a 2 and a bunch of 4’s and 5’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a good read about the slot.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=6e214a2e8d1a4d41a2ebf08162368b2f&ei=12

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Negative nelly, I do not trust his attitude. I think AB soured me on diva wide receivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

I guess you missed the games that Diontae Johnson was injured and Pickens blew up...
    Who was the #2 then...
    That said, I strongly believe Roman Wilson will work his way into the #2 spot... in the meantime, we also have 2 pretty good te's in our employ and a handful of burners in the wr rm

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

exactly and it looks like they are all in on it working in this offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=71a34dbfea7440bc9025535f2beaf6b7&ei=12

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Matt Williamson defined a WR1 as a WR that doesn't have to be schemed up to consistently beat man and zone. By his analysis he said that 9 receivers meet this with Hill, Chase, Adams, Lamb, AJ Brown, Jefferson, Aiyuk, St. Brown, and Evans.

The 21 guys below that he characterized not quite there. Such as descending: Hopkins, Diggs; young/ascending: London, Collins. He mentioned Samuel as a zone killer. Pickens potential to go higher but WR2 now. Wilson as potentially a WR3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good to see he is working hard and trying to improve if he gets the targets he will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Million dollar hands. 5 cent head.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I didn’t know that was in question when I posted this. Puts up those numbers with trash QB play and not a WR1 :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Wilson alot, but the man is a rookie. Many elite WRs have had very pedestrian rookie campaigns. Also where has Calvin Austin gone? The man needs to still show he has what it takes to be a consistent producer.

Freiermuth is great when he is on the field. Then there's Mount Washington who's a big dude with soft hands. He's a good safety net or red zone threat but don't look for much after the catch.

I won't discuss RBs as let's all hope the new offense isn't rinse and repeat to checkdown to RBs all game long.

So than you have Pickens, a man with all the potential in the world with his talent but yet to be in a position as the #1 WR. If I am defensive coordinator, I am making the other players beat me and taking Pickens out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Better QB play is like a rising tide; lifts all boats.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Did Micheal Pittman date the author's sister at some point?
    Downs last year: 68/771/2

Pittman: 109/1152/4, awarded 3yr/$68M contract in the offseason

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He doesn't feel like a #1 wr to me. Just my opinion. Route running skills , blocking and very big one, team player
    he has much to bring to table. Let him be some other teams pain in the ass.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. I`m expecting many deep throws Wilson to Pickens this year and Pickens will be a happy camper.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

it's not about either one of these players but the position and how it can be fruitful in an offense.

go ahead and double pickens. use those resources to do that. the number 2 corner will be on whoever is on the outside guy. the number 3 corner will be on the slot. they will be using the top resources to cover this group. this leaves mismatches against our RB's and TE's. i kind of expect the steelers to use them in the passing game more.

not so much as check down to the RB's but screens set up against depleted schemes. i can still remember when the steelers were one of the best screen running teams every year. we now have the o-line mobility to do that again. we have the RB's to do that also. why not make it a strength? make the defense adjust to it and then other things open up.

i believe russell has the know how to take advantage of these things. if all your wr's can run like ours can, leaving even scrubs uncovered that can run past you will make a defense pay. you all need to get what we did the last several years out of your heads, this will be a different look than what we did before. sounds like a pretty nice design to me. there seems to be a plan. it's the sum of all parts not just one.

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I get that. Just found it funny how much he disregarded Pittman, especially in light of how he stuck more with the Lions for comparison purposes. He could've held off mentioning the Colts whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Where does DK Metcalf rank? If the Steelers could get him along with Pickens and Wilson that would be one heck of a WR vote for this offense.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the colts are the hot commodity right now especially if richardson stay's healthy. lot's of talk about them being the new lions. hopefully it's the steelers instead. it can't always be done in one off season. the slot though has been a plentiful position for teams the last 8-10 years. they like the guys that can be moved inside out and use the defenders against themselves. taking the best receivers against the maybe 3rd or 4th best cover guy. makes sense if they can do it. all about matchups. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    He mentioned him in the group of 21, that he is a good go ball guy

he looks pretty good to me though. Sometimes you forget when watching games how technical these guys need to be. It is not just pure athleticism

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Even better Coordination from the OC is like the breeze to the masts of a sail; more proficiency on the seas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1