1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward said he wants to play three more seasons and in Talks for Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 11, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    We'll see how Logan Lee develops. Benton showed a lot of promise. Adams has had trouble staying healthy so far, but has had some impressive games. Leal has all but disappeared. Loudermilk is huge. If he can start playing like it I like his chances moving forward. And Marshall is getting some play time over some of the other guys already.

Ogunjobi is about to turn 30 and Cam just turned 35. It is time to think about the future of this DL.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'd like to see Cam retire as a Steeler. Hopefully he sees a reasonable number and they can find a realistic middle ground to have him finish his career as a Steeler.

If his sole intention is to simply make bank for a couple years let someone else overpay him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He may be retired the same way Troy P was. He was done, the Steelers knew it, and the. He accepted it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Not unless it's for cheap. They really need to address DL in the draft next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Stories like Troy kill me. I hate it for players like that who have so much heart and the body just can't anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder if Cam is old enough to remember Franco Harris's career? And what happened to Franco. I think Cam better study up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Being that he wasn’t born yet you really don’t need to wonder

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

dean lowry is here now as well. no slouch. i can see cam in the way ben went out with those final years as throw away types. more team friendly. we should have a decent rotation this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If they rotate him a lot and keep him fresh for the end of the season, his leadership and experience will be a benefit. He just has to agree on reduced financials.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This!

His cap hit is 22.3 mill. You extend him another year and you stretch that number out giving him more up front money to mentor a high D Line pick next season. They can just let him play it out this season then he goes into FA in which he will be 36.

Big number for an aging player who just came off of a major injury. And he said he wouldn't take a pay cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Oh I guarantee you that he will take that payout, when he sees that no other team will pay him a fraction what the Steelers offer.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Its easy to forget how much older we are than the players sometimes. I mean some consider Cam old....yet He's a freaking kid compared to a lot of us. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Cam, he has been a wonderFul Steeler, I don't want to see Steelers pay severence
    like they did to BR his last 5 years that he was useless.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think somebody in the organization needs to educate him on the subject.
    Or maybe ask Alan Faneca, Peezy. It doesn't turn out well.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know what you are saying, but Franco derailed his own retirement. IDK if it was someone inside his inner circle, or just stupid thinking, but to try and renegotiate your contract just because you are close to breaking the all time record, with Noll and Rooney? No doubt 'Sweet' was going to pass Franco and Jim Brown eventually, but Franco was close enough to be first, if he had stayed a Steeler. Traded to a team with a totally different style, he never got there.

17. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Ask him to retire instead.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    VERY reduced

19. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'd love Cam to retire a steeler and not extend his career with another team but i've never begrudged any player for wanting to play as long as they can. They only get 1 pro career

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope some of the younger players at DE and NT step up. The defense in recent years is too dependent on Heyward. When Cam is not playing.. the Steelers run D suffers badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Deone Walker from the University of Kentucky is my dark horse Round 1 player for the 2025 Draft for the Steelers. Mind you, I have him as a Darkhorse as I am placing this prediction under the scenario in which either Wilson or Fields ended up working out.

This dude is essentially Jordan Davis all over again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tuitt's unfortunate retirement along with Colbert's misses on IDLs from 2020-2022 have not helped in this regard. DeMarvin Leal may likely be out of here if he doesn't show anything. That said, let it be on record that I was not a fan of his coming out due to work ethic concerns.

They didn't spring up in his Rookie Season. Sadly, they came back to bite him in his Sophomore Campaign.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it has been stated, but just like this draft was 2 OL early, next year ought to be 2 DL early, unless the QB position completely disintegrates.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They're already thin on the DL, unless you want to see more of Leal and Loudermilk.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see both gone.