1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospects at ILB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    They Franchised tagged him. So they are allowing him to seek a trade so they would be seeking a 1 or 2 for him. Not worth it to give up the draft capital and pay top dollar .... would rather take a guy in rd 1 or 2 keep the draft capital and pay the rookie contract.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow I didn't hear they tagged him.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    can't cover? what? the kid is a safety now with cover skills. :cool:

4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Sorry .... I read the scouting weaknesses it thats comes across not to favorable of his coverage skills.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats what I heard. Its a smart move you might as well try to get something for the guy rather than just let him walk.

6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Very smart move.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am disappointed that Trotter decided to skip the Speed tests. 40 and 10

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not really digging him too much. I would like a long lean guy that can cover Te’s and the middle of the field. He seems like more of what we already have.

• Like Like x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

bump

• Like Like x 3
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Should have bumped this one. Kind of prophetic.
    Not a bad thing to pat yourself on the back when you're right. We'll drag you through the mud when you're wrong.
    Give the yourself a cookie.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    It is being reported that Payton Wilson will never see a 2nd contract, I hope these people are wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I read that. I read a lot of stuff during draft week. Some of it was true. Most of it was crap. We'll see in four years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Those are your opinions. You present them like they are fact.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

I mean this is a contradictory statement... so... what are we talking about?! All NFL Scouting Reports are.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Very true. I guess the way you wrote it it actually looked like a professional scouting report. You almost had me convinced to question the Payton Wilson selection from a run defense perspective and getting off blocks then I said wait a second this is just this guys opinion on this.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... I see. I understand. Mind you when I scout players, it is always more important to me to scout the negative before going into the positive.

Regarding Payton Wilson, the foundation is there to thrive in the NFL. My biggest critique of him coming out though was his inability to quickly disengage from blocks. If you believe that I was questioning his ability to read his keys... that is further from the truth.

The player he admires in Luke Kuechly, funnily enough, had some trouble himself early on his Rookie Season when taking on blockers. This of course was quickly corrected; him earning the NFLs Defensive Rookie of the Year as a result. If Wilson is the quick study I believe he can be, expect him to be in the running as well.

Truth be told, even before the draft, I had Payton Wilson as one of my darkhorse DROY Candidates; Chop Robinson, Byron Young II and even Nate Wiggins being the only ones I had above him... Dallas Turner being my current favorite to win it.

My list is going to change as this aforementioned list was complied back in March.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Payton may always struggle to disengage from blocks simply because of his body type. He doesn’t have alot of sand in the pants so unless he creates some speed to power which he is certainly capable of the defensive lineman may need to protect him a little. But im excited to see what he can do against the pass and blitzing.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He can win on speed, and proper technique....no not against everyone he may face, but nobody can beat everyone they face. The key....IMO.....will be to use him in the most advantageous ways.

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree. I wonder if they don’t find a capable slot CB if they play him like a big slot where they actually have three ILB’s on the field with him acting more like a slot to cover the TE or even a receiver. He is certainly fast enough and agile enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    In certain situations...possibly. That will be the key. When to use him at what spot, and when. Almost like I was thinking of Cooper DeJean....except not in so many situations, and spots as I was dreaming for him. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You and me both. He was one of my favorites but so was/is Payton Wilson. I wanted Leo Chenal a couple years ago and he went to KC in the third or fourth rd. He has turned out to be an average ILB in the league. I thought for sure he was going to be special. He was more of thumper type vastly different from Wilson. After that draft I changed my perspective on the value of ILB’s and the type desired by the league. The league wants and seeks Payton Wilson types now who can run, cover, blitz and play the run all equally well. Lets hope he stays healthy and can be a true asset to the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1