1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Those 4 teams yesterday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Snake, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Except for the Ravens (who we beat twice) I think it's plain we gotta make some adjustments before it looks like we can run with that crowd. Was Jackson that bad? His team set him back probably over a hundred yards with stupid penalties. Playing against teams of this caliber (who aren't messing up) well just ain't gonna cut it. We came closer to beating the Bills than the score showed, but that's football. Our best hope for next year is a dramatic overhaul in the coaching staff.
    Lots of work to do, QB sitch got to be sorted out, O line ,and defence . Many of you guys said as much before but they did listen about Canada didn't they.

2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    If you don’t have solid QB play you are not competing in the AFC playoffs. We have Kenny Pickett.

And remember the Ravens rested everyone week 18.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    You also need good playoffs defense!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Were not close to the teams that were IN the Championship Game.

My hope is that the new Offensive Coordinator can bring them into the present.

But the Defense has not held up their end of the bargain for years now when we made the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I really like Detroit's offense. They spread the ball around and had 49ers defense on their toes for most of that game. They were just a play or two away from winning that game.

I think what I noticed more was the defenses, they all had playmakers in the second and third level.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We're 7-1 our last 8 games against the Ravens. The one loss was NOT to Lamar Jackson.
    And you're right, the one thing all 4 teams had in common was star quarterbacking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    dumb people here already forgot that. the Ravens are FAR SUPERIOR to us - in many ways.

we will wallow for years with Tomlin, Pickett and Rooney - and a Steelers way that is lost. many here already know that.

We do not have a superior coach (and coaches - look at KC's staff!) - he is just OK, decent, good. that is not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i like their offense too - it's a shame their HC too is limited in his thinking.

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    2023 was year 1 of the Steelers rebuild. The GMs did a really nice job. They need to get the OC pick right and have another great draft. If that happens, the Steelers can start to be part of the conversation. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Jared Goff was Kenny Pickett before Kenny Pickett. Get the right coach and we may see a different Pickett.

BTW. If MT made the same head scratching decisions that Campbell made yesterday this board would run him out of town. It’s one thing to be aggressive, but damn were those 4th down decisions killers

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    2 winners have HC that coach.
    2 losers have cheerleaders as HC.

12. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I don’t think we are that far away in being able to compete.

It starts with an OC who will bring innovation and promote consistency.

We need some competition at QB this summer, whether that be Mason or someone else. Above all, whoever wins starting QB, needs to be consistent and more aggressive next year.

I am not as worried about the defense as others. Watt, a healthy Minkah, 2nd year Porter, 2nd year Benton, etc.

That’s not to say we don’t have some gaps that need filled, but Omar can address that in his 2nd year as GM (draft and FA).

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I believe several of those games were resting scenarios or Covid injuries etc but I agree we have the Ravens and Lamar’s numbers good as anyone. TOMLIN gets some credit there.

14. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I did like our draft last year the problem is we don’t have a QB1 on the roster. And MT at HC

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What was the excuse the first time the Steelers beat them? Jackson will come up small in the big moments of you pressure him and their receivers just aren't consistent enough.

Also, they didn't rest everyone. They rested seven or eight starters, but they were all studs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Purdy is a much better comp for Pickett, at least physically. Mentally, he had the swagger and toughness that is such a big part of what Purdy does, but he seems to have lost those aspects of his game. Maybe that was the two concussions. Maybe it was ultra-conservative coaching. Maybe it was the piss-poor offensive coordinator and erratic offensive coaching staff ruining his confidence. The version of Pickett we saw this season isn't going to cut it, but I'm sure they were going to take at least one more season trying to fix him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Far superior is pretty strong. That is what the media would have you believe.

In my opinion, the ravens are very beatable. Stop the run. That is what happened this weekend and look how that game went.

In 11 of 16 games, Lamar threw for 250 or less. In two other games, he threw for 250-260.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    You have to look at Lamar as not the victim but also their problem. He's not a great fundamental passing QB. He gets exploited in the playoffs.

They made a huge critical scheme error trying to win with his arm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    To add, the chiefs running defense was something like 28th? Yes, they got cocky thinking he was superman.

20. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I somewhat remember Goff early but Pickett has shown me nothing to think he is the answer. Better coaching would help but is that possible with this staff??

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers beat the "far superior" Ravens when both of teams were relatively healthy and playing their starters, too.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    The Ravens receivers killed them that game dropped at least 2/3 wide open TDs. I agree we own Lamar and he can’t win a big game.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

possible but not likely.

they need to go big or go home. my bet is we stay small.....

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they beat themselves, when they played us, like they did yesterday, in a rare display of 3 TO's (yesterday).

We beat them in week 5 b/c of 4 or 5 dropped passes, 2 of them in the EZ.

I make assumptions that you all watch the games.

Kenny was AWFUL until ONE HEROIC , AMAZING throw.

so....we won. Yes, and very happy about that. but let's not get delusional about who is ruling AFC-N right now. And their D is STILL NASTY, year in and year out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i am convinced half the people here do not watch the games. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1