1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

can we get a new punter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 11, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if you read the article he is a left footed punter, which cleveland has. the ball comes off the foot different. maybe it's a good move to get them used to seeing that. doesn't mean he is a replacement for harvin. :cool:

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You answered Your own Question.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's got to be in his head. You can clearly see He can do it, and have seen him do it. He just seems to not be able to get out of his own head, or something.

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    IDK how tryouts work, but can they actually use him in that scenario w/o a contract? I know he is not going to get hit, but I don't see how the CBA would have this type of thing in the contract, or NFL rules for that matter. As for the guy, not much recent info, apparently he was XFL punting leader this year, but couldn't find much more.

Also love the last line, if he continues to struggle, look for Pittsburgh to not hesitate to make a change.

Dude has been struggling for the 2 years he has been here, the hesitation for change seems to be the standard.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Ding ding, ding, ding, ding. We are the Steelers, every change takes 4 x longer than it should.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    It is not our place to wonder why, only thing that matters is he's not getting it done. Screw Tomlin's buddy, buddy way of coaching. Replace him with someone who doesn't shank punts.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at that game in your avatar. 95 was a bad mfer

• Like Like x 2
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He is ranked last in all starting Punters…bringing in competition isn’t gonna do it.

There is some technique issue with this guy, I don’t know Danny Smith can coach it out of him?

Steelers desperately need someone new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have to have a new punter
    I can’t handle ours anymore .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey, what happened to that great punt by Harvin that was called back because of too many men on the field.

Nobody on the field threw the flag, the officials were lining up the ball to pen the Ravens deep. They go to commercial and when they comeback the Steelers are being penalized for too many men on the field. Was there a challenge flag. I didn't even know if that penalty was challengeable as I have seen it missed in games before and nobody talked about a challenge possibility, just that the call was missed by the officials.

11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    He kind of half boots it, very little leg extension. No wonder most of his punts barely go 40 yards

12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I would prefer a punter who can punt 45 yds with decent hang time consistently , then a punter who has the potential to punt it 65 yds but shanks a 35 yarder far too often.

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That penalty cost the Steelers almost , 40 yards because when Harvin had to re- punt the ball he shanked it 26 yards.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I understand that, but what I didn't understand was who called the penalty? The officials on the field did not throw a flag for this penalty, and set the ball up to be snapped close to the goal line.

15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Ken's deep ball has been so off the mark that even the other team can't catch it

16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't try to pull the wool over our eyes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Isn’t he responsible for counting how many men are on the field? If so, why did he punted with 12 men on the field?

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

it sheer is fun trying. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    We have gotten outpunted in just about every game we've played in. That's especially tough considering our offense has been so lousy this year. It makes field position all the more important. It seems like we're always on the wrong side of field position battles. We'll have a team backed up, and their punter will boot a 60 yarder. Then, when we go 3 and out, we're lucky to get off a 40 yarder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Or... the defenders just routinely bat the ball down and we wind up turning it over on downs on our own 20 :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Commentators said the refs called up to the booth to ask for a count of players on the kicking team - then threw the flag (albeit, late). Yeah, sus.. but another head-scratchingly stupid mistake.

22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Ben was a better punter than Harvin.

23. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey, he had a 50% Inside-20, compared to Harvin's 34% :roflmao:

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn thing is I have seen it many times before where they don't think they react and intercept the ball. I remember Troy P. once going to to have an easy interception but had the smarts to drop it. Troy could have been a bit smarter then the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We are probably looking at the #1 seed in the AFC if Mike Tomlin doesn't make two horrible decisions. #1 starting Mitch over Mason. #2 Keeping this Punter around for years . Those 2 obvious decisions would have absolutely changed everything for this team. You can add Matt Canada to that list but changing OC's can go either way and it maybe was not his decision entirely. Mitch over Mason and the worst punter in the NFL is absolutely his decision.

• Agree Agree x 1