1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Packers matchups vs Steelers protection schemes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bob in Canada, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/11/four-matchups-to-watch-in-steelers-packers/

In reading this this morning, I was particularly interested in the Clark vs Cole matchup.

I admit I am not knowledgable when it comes to to OL schemes and protections. For those that are, living in our fears be damned, how do you expect the steelers to counter? How will this affect the run game? What running plays directions is to be expected?

Bob

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    traps and counters i hope. i'm a power run guy. we saw some of that magic last week and i hope they continue it this week. get them big hosses moving. our guards and tackles and big TE are built for this style. cole as well. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Quick pitches , Toss Sweeps , Swing passes , Screens , Circle routes to the RB off the inside fake, flat routes to the RB off of play Fakes TE dumps behind LB'S ..Use 2 RB sets motion RB to slot drags slants, end arounds , reverses while also using those traps, counters, and Power runs that Mac is correct about ..

This is the main counters to expand the box the Defense wants to play in and give them more run/pass assignments .. Not allowing DE'S and LB'S to crash off the edge or Inside LB'S to blitz the middle ...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks! That gives some stuff to research when if I can find the time.

I like knowing when the offense should have an advantage based off what the defense is showing.

I expect these guys will get better and eventually find their groove. The signs of life are there, they just gotta do it from start to finish.