1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Bashes Steelers’ Roster Approach, Says Focus Is Too Much On Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    And nobody cares what he has to say

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    He maybe right, but he maybe wrong.
    Cowherd is unapologetically in favor of offensive football. He says that is the only way to win big, and not just about the Steelers. But of course he is. Cowherd is in the media and offensive football sells more than defensive football. And we know that rules are skewed to favor offensive football. So he is not crazy. But his view also assumes that there is only 1 way to win in the NFL in 2023, which is where I think he is wrong.

Also, our high draft picks the past few years; Jones, Harris, Pickens, Pickett, are all on the offensive side of the ball. So it would appear that in the longer run the Steelers are building their offense even if some moves were also made to build back the defense. This does not have to be an either/or situation as Cowherd is arguing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowherd is mostly negative on head coaches with defensive backgrounds. He says the same thing about Belichick and the Patriots. Without Brady, Belichick is just an average coach. He talks down about McDermott in Buffalo, too. Steelers are not the only team being bashed by Cowherd.

Cowherd seems to be high on Demeco Ryans HC for Texans.... which is weird. Last time I checked, Ryans is a former DC for the 49ers. I like Cowherd's show, but he constantly contradicts himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I drive for work and unfortunately his is the only afternoon sports program available in our rural area, so i get his diatribe everyday. His metrics on O HC's having more success lately is not wrong, but his focus on how the Steelers are building is in my fan friendly opinion full of crap, lol. He mentioned yesterday that they still have not rebuilt the O line, I beg to differ (at least on paper), they brought in new guys last year and by the end of the year it was vastly improved, this year they brought in a new LG, highly experienced back up and drafted a LT in the first round. We will see how it works, but the O last year was one of (if not the youngest) in the NFL. It starts in the trenches, and has been a high focus for the front office. For the most part this is a totally different team that 3 years ago, and in fact many new pieces this year. On paper it looks good, how they develop is another story. Still feel we are a year away, but barring injury bug this team is set to be competitive in a very tough division and conference.

Just re-read your post...Where Colin was right, where Colin was wrong...do not know if you were trying for that, but it worked, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Hmm.. You do have to put up scores.
    So, you need a good QB, and if you don't have one like Aaron Rogers, Maholmes, Allen... you need to try to at least limit the other team's ability to score.
    That means some defense.

But I think his metrics are happenstance.
    Sure, there is no '85 Bears happening in today's NFL.

Not a fan of many of the 'Sports Talking Heads' earning a living off the sport.
    I tend to listen more to ex-coaches and retired players.

7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    ****. Well, there's always next year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's also said many many many many many things that have been totally wrong. We don't have enough space, or time for all the things He's been wrong about. I listen to him for 7 years at work, and believe Me He has been wrong a very lot.
    He actually makes most weather forecasters look good by comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is also a knucklehead named Noah Strackbein who claims we wasted a 90 man roster spot signing a tackle

I can’t take anything he posts as being well thought

It’s the day and age of anybody can be a sports pundit and create web space

Or radio like Mark Mushbrain

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Also there's a pattern with Cowherd. He enjoys pissing off Steelers and Cowboys fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't know, as annoying as that douche is, I've heard him talk up Tomlin, and the organization as a whole, quite often. You're not wrong though in that he often talks sh!t about the team itself and it's players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He pushes BB to the point of vomit, especially the Lakers. I get it, he lives in LA and Lebron still is the most viable talking point, but it is almost like he kissed the man's ass 1x and fell so deeply in love he has to sleep with his jockstrap to feel secure.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowherd was ok when he cohosted with the woman, forget her name, Michelle I think. She kind of kept him reigned in.

Now he talks out his ass a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Who cares what that blowhole has to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know he was talking about FA, but We spent 1st, 2nd, and the 4th draft picks on offense last year, and 1st, and 3rd round this year. Thats 5 guys for offense in the 1st four rounds out of the last 2 drafts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I used to listen to Cowherd all the time back in the day, now I just listen to his picks, or where Colin was right or wrong segment.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I feel better now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He's still butt hurt that his beloved seahawks lost to us in the Super Bowl. Cowturd...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    1, 2, 3, and 4 in 2021 also.

• Like Like x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Believe it or not there have been Super Bowls won with teams with Awesome defenses and below average offenses.

But, everyone has the belief that todays NFL is about Points and more points.

I think you have to go into a game as an Offense to go North of 30 points and on defense try to keep it 20 points and under.

You do one of those 2 things in an NFL game you will normally win it most times.

• Like Like x 2
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We also signed not 1, not, 2, not 3, but 4 offensive linemen via free agency. Traded for a vet slot wr…

basically Moore, Okorafor, and Johnson are the only 3 starters that have been with the team for more than two seasons. Almost 80% turnover on offense in the last two seasons, but the team is ignoring the offense.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2023-6-8_17-10-3.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Cowherd would been right if it was still 2020 and at that time had make 8 first round pick in a row on defense(including the trade of Fitzpatrick who was like our first round pick in 2020).Of course most of the money are on defense right now,so he has a point but most of the offense are still in their rookie contract

24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    (4 months later)

"I've always said the Steeers build their teams the right way." - Colin Cowherd

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm... Joy Taylor, Kristine Leahy, Alex Curry and Jen Hale are the only ones I can think of. That all said, I do understand what you are saying.

This J Mac character isn't just obnoxious... he is a massive PITA.