1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Austin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Jun 4, 2023.

1. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    He probably dropped some passes and ran his way out of yardage.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In general there have been several responses over the board about people needing to dial back expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Austin is a rookie. Might as well lump him in with the '23 draft class. Hasn't done squat yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's fair, but I'm excited about the potential of the 2023 draft class and I'm certainly not alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Austin is a player who has intrigued me since the Steelers got him. He is a homunculus, but has that all important really good short shuttle time, pretty much an elite one. I am fairly sure that a healthy Austin will be hard to cover. I have no idea of what kind of hands he has. If he can hang on to the ball he could be a formidable kick returner (Disclaimer: I said that about Dri Archer too).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, he had no problem holding on to the ball in college. He ran a complete route tree. I don't think there really was a flaw in his game coming out of college other than his lack of size, but that is an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was excited when the Steelers drafted him last year because he has very rare explosive speed. Some of the game film when he played at Memphis showed him being completely hemmed in by the defense but with his 4.2 speed he simply kicked it into another gear and made everyone else on the field look like they were standing still.

8. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    What's facebook? Is that like Instachat? You trying to bully me out of here is a waste of your and my time.

But what you do have going for you is that users find 14% of your posts of value. :rolleyes:

9. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    That is good to see...hope he is truly our #1 and maybe even catches some TD's this year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m excited to see what Austin can do optimistic about the coming season and very positive in my thoughts

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Impressed with Hutchinsons shuttle time for a big guy. Wow

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Seems alright to me :). Just hope he is not another Dri Archer

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  13. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Great hands and if he gets a step, he's gone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's so fast on here....He screws up angles. LoL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That never was a good comparison for him. Archer was a running back and kick returner who turned out to be bad at both.

Austin is a true wide receiver, one who ran a complete route tree in college despite some people wanting to limit him to being a slot guy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    You mean he does not have to maximize on his angles because he has the speed?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Austin is so fast that no one really knows what is real 40 time is. He is such a blur coming out of the blocks that the electronic timer doesn't start until he is already ran a step or two. He was timed at 4.02 at the combine but they knew that wasn't possible so it was adjusted to 4.32. Another time he was clocked at 4.01 because of his blazing start before the clock could catch up to him. His true 40 time is unknown it could be even around 4.22.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I mean He screws up the angles of defenders. He's so fast it messes with angles usually taken. You can see that in that video. If He can do that in the NFL, and stay healthy......We may have another big weapon. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Speed with quickness and it appears he has great instincts. Good hands, too. One foot plant and the dude is gone. I don't know what the future holds for him, but if he can acclimate himself to the speed and skill of NFL caliber players, he can be a real headache for defenses. There is some risk involved drafting a player with a slight stature but who can deny the potential his skill set brings to the team?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Adapting to the speed of the NFL is a problem for any rookie, perhaps more so for someone who relies so heavily on being quicker than his opponents. He is going to have trouble when defenders get their hands on him.

There are a couple of false narratives that led to some negativity about Austin. One is that last year's injury has any relation to his lack of size. It doesn't. Foot injuries are actually more common the heavier you are, not lighter. The second is the comparison to Dri Archer. Sure, they are both small, but Archer was a running back, and his lack of size was an even larger issue. They tried things to get him in space, but his receiving skills were limited. Austin is a true wide receiver.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There is no bigger Steeler homer than me on this board, I want to see all
    Steeler players succeed at a big level. I am/ try to be realistic in my thoughts.
    We need to win big NOW. We have gone long enough without being relative in the NFL.
    I believe the front office has provided the coaching staff with capable players. I am
    very optimistic for the TEAM going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1