1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Player You Don’t like that Everyone Else Does

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Mine has to be Dionte Johnson. I understand he gets open a lot and for that reason alone he is very talented. Its hard following in the footsteps of Brown. He just doesn’t’t have the same quick twitch change of direction and YAC that Brown had. He doesn’t strike fear in the heart of the defense. To me he is just a guy. A productive receiver that is a great complimentary receiver but definitely not a number 1.

Following up the other Player that I feel everyone is higher on than I am is Ogunjobi. Again I am probably unfairly comparing him to the man he replace in Tuitt. He just doesn’t create a lot of splash plays and he seems to be always injury prone.

A couple guys I am higher on than everyone else is Dan Moore Jr. and Chuks Orkorafor. I think They both really started to come into their own in the second half of the season last year. Both remained healthy for the last two years and have had solid games against players like are nemesis from Cleveland.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Nothing personally against the guy but I just didn't care for Derek Watt. Way too overpaid for a position we don't use.

Dan Moore Jr. is a penalty generating revolving door. I hope he proves me wrong this upcoming season but I haven't seen anything promising yet.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You don’t like a guy because he doesn’t measure up to a probable future hof’er?

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think you're in a minority on here for not liking DJ after his previous season. I'd say your views on him are echoed by a large majority of this board.

I actually am higher on DJ than most. I think QB play has greatly hampered him statistically. I don't think he is anywhere near prime AB, but he is a poor man's version. He would catch 1200-1300 yards and 7-10 TD's every single year with a prime Ben throwing him the ball instead of Old Man Ben and Rookie Pickett. Ben really locked on to guys that get open and DJ is the most open receiver in the whole league. Ben would've loved throwing him the ball 7-10 times a game and DJ would have solid stats due to volume. I can get behind Moore being better than perceived, I think Chuks is about on par with his perception. I think Mason Cole is a guy that doesn't get enough credit. He was a middle to just above middle of the pack C last year, is young, and somehow half the board was trying to draft his replacement this offseason. He's no superstar, but a really quality player on a good contract for the team.

Guys I am down on are probably limited. I think Olszewski sucks, but so does everyone else. We purged a lot of the trash this past offseason. Lets hope the people we brought in are better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I assume I can't put Bush unless OP re-words his title:)

If I can put a retired Steeler, TBH, I was not in love with Ben R. LOVED what he did for our organization but as a person, meh. That said, I try my best to only look at Pro's with what they do for Pittsburgh sports. I shy away from personal life. It's simple, a Steeler I'll overlook things if you help us kick ass. Once traded, I'll start hating on you for things outside football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yeah I definitely unfairly judge him based on following up Brown and he was essentially brought in to the fill the void Brown left behind. I readily admit it is unfair to DJ but I just can’t past the fact people want to crown him as a number 1 when I don’t feel like he is. Obviously a lot goes into it such as the OC, the System, The play Calling, The QB Play much of which DJ can’t control. I guess the thing that bugs me the most is the lack of YAC. I can handle a drop or two but constantly going down without a fight or even going backwards is frustrating. Ward was amazing at YAC while inflicting punishment on the people trying to tackle him and Brown was just electric and a bundle of muscle. DJ is like a wet noodle. The flip side of it is he is slight and you don’t want him getting injured fighting for an extra yard but then again this is football. I guess i’m old school. I just like seeing us impose our will on the other team in all phases. Hopefully Canada can draw up some routes that will put guys like DJ to be in better position to have a lot of YAC this year because honestly Pickens didn’t have much of chance to put up a lot of YAC either with all of the back shoulder fades.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't dislike any Steeler players.Some I wished could play better,
    But sometimes you take the good with the bad. I personally like how
    Steeler players get involved in the local community here in PGH
    And in their home communities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2023-6-5_15-24-25.jpeg :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Pickens is starting to climb up the list for me. Some of the things coming out of his mouth scream...."Diva in Waiting". And we thought AB was bad; I fear we have not seen anything yet.

The statement from Pickens about being snubbed from the Pro Bowl last year is truly a statement from a guy not accepting reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmmm.... I cannot think of anyone currently at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Right now I'm with You. Trubisky is the closest, but since they resigned Him I'm cool....I just didn't like a backup costing so much cap. So I got nobody right now.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Trubisky's cost doesn't bother me nearly as much for Trubisky was meant to be a bridge for Pickett. Pittsburgh made that contract in the manner in which they did to offset cap charges. Other than that though, he has shown he is capable of being a spot starter given how his career is now best suited for a backup role.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t get the DJ hate. Him and TJ are probably the hardest working players on the team. He is constantly trying to hone his craft and he’s the total opposite of JuJu, when do you see him doing any TikTok stuff. The guy just grinds.

He hasn’t produced like a number one but he has great skills. If Pickett takes the leap I think he will, I’m expecting a big year from DJ.

If DJ had played with Ben in his prime, he’d have elite production. No doubt in my mind.

As far as the OP’s question, don’t really have one. Closet would be Washington but I’m hoping he’s everything his fans think he is. I don’t dislike him as a player though, I think we have a squad of pretty likable guys, makes rooting for them easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    "Im trying to think but nothing happens"

Curly Howard

He is our #1 at this time. I hope they coach him out of the college twirl. He should have a better season then last.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

He is starting to scare me with some of his comments. Tomlin needs to step in and stop it before he gets crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like DJ and admired 2 years ago with all the drops he spent hours (reportedly) of the jugs machine. What I do not like is his continual running back and or lateral to try to get separation. It just appears like the moves that worked in college, but not at this level of competition. It is just one play, but I think it shows where he needs to work, late in the Oakland game he caught a pass across the middle and ran lateral trying to outrun 2 defenders to make a cut, I know it's in the moment, but having watched that play several times there were at least 2 places he could have planted, cut and had a huge gain. Instead he continued and tried to get outside and was wrapped up. The commentators mentioned that lack of awareness, and admittedly its just one play, but it is in those moments that seperate decent and good from exceptional.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but that didn’t show up to last year and I don’t think it happened as much as fans are remembering. It’s like the drops, he has “50 drops” until you tell them he is among the lead leaders in fewest drops.

I think the running backwards thing was just a product of trying to do too much. The whole teams YAC was poor. I think play design had a lot do to with it. The year prior, DJ had very good YAC.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He maybe a problem if they don' t nip it in the bud. We saw some of it last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season Ogunjobi probably was never fully healthy, he would miss a lot of practice time dealing with that foot injury, I expect him to play better this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Green. He is just not good.

Moore I like. 6 sacks, 2 in the first game, 4 in the other 16 games. 9 penalties. 4 false starts, 4 holding, 1 illegal formation. < usually on the wr, but gets called on the tackle. Change of QB can cause some false starts. 4 holding, usually on the other teams best pass rusher. In 17 games. 1,231 snaps last year. Perspective.

:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I’ve been waiting for this since the ATLANTA game last year. I hope I just keep waiting, but something tells me be letting everyone know soon

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Boswell.

That season a few years ago with all those yips stuck with me good. I’m always waiting for it or shades of it to return.

23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013

Steelers Player You Don’t like that Everyone Else Does

I don’t think anyone likes Green

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the steelers seem to.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that the roster turnover has been great this year, so there aren’t many Steelers players that I don’t feel comfortable with. If I had to choose, it would be Keanu Neal. I don’t think he’s all that good. Is he an upgrade from Edmunds? Maybe, but I don’t think so.