1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Le’Veon Bell Explains Contract Dispute, Why He Left Steelers For Jets

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 26, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You forgot all the likes too!

It was maddening trying listen to him get out a full coherent thought.

Then the contradictions - He wanted and wants to be a feature back, but signed with the Cheifs and not the Dolphins, because Miami would load him up with Carrie’s and in KC he would just need to be a part of the system and not the focal point.

Or maybe that he kinda said the guaranteed money was the thing and that it was petty (for which side?) but, in the end was alluding that he still feels he should have been awarded the guarantees he was seeking. The front office was correct, because that guy couldn’t be trusted to keep his nose clean and play out a full season and not be suspended again.

He doesn’t soon to have matured one bit. Just like AB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That Belichick would have done better is not an indictment of any coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't all Brady. It wasn't all Belichick. The combination, however, was lethal.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I can't hate Bell for trying to get the most money for him. At the end of the day it's a brutal game and a career ending injury is always just a play away. However, Bell listened to people that he probably wishes he didn't in hindsight. Bell got his guaranteed money, but it cost him years off his career. He likely made less money overall getting a higher guarantee but essentially ending his career with a poor performance in NY coming off a year off.

I get that people think he is an "idiot" (many professional athletes are), but he tried to do right by himself. Just trusted and listened to people who had their own interests in mind and not Le'Veon's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    What people do you think he listened to who would have made money from signing elsewhere? He said his own mother and his agent wanted him to re-sign with Pittsburgh. Seems like he listened to himself an AB. He said he and AB were close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    your boat gently down the stream

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk, these guys are friends with other players both on the team and on other teams. These guys are always congratulating each other for "getting their bag" on social media. The sports media was talking a lot about it too, so he probably took some of the things they said and speculated to heart.

Think about it. The other players always want each other to cash in because it ups the market for their own contract down the line as well. Their advice would obviously be very player centric, and they (mostly) don't care if he makes a bad decision because it still helps their market. The media pushes its own narrative to cater to their audience and get them more clicks/views. They definitely don't care if their speculation influences a bad decision because either way they get something juicy to talk about for the masses to tune in and listen to.

There was likely a lot of background noise throughout the process for him and he didn't listen to the people who DID have his best interest in mind (mother, agent (to a degree)), and instead allowed other outside influences to play a major part in his decision. Some of it was ego too.... but that ego gets inflated due to the other players and media, so its the same influencers in that regard. I feel bad for him because he thought he was doing what was best for him and it likely cost him years doing what he loved and a lot of money.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After reading all this it is clear the Steelers made the right decision not to give him too much guaranteed money

Bell is a perfect example why no team should

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, Belichick won't be winning anymore Super Bowls with the Patriots IMO, Brady won a SB in his first season with the Buccaneers :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But that was a dumb decision especially for an RB to sit out a season, he lost 12 million that he could never make up.

11. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I don’t feel bad for him, he’s still a multimillionaire so I’m not going to shed a tear that he doesn’t have more. Especially since the “bag” he was offered and turned down was huge.

I’d bet that the Steelers would have given him more or all of what he wanted if he was a smarter guy with good character that they could trust. He was in their house for 5 years and good insight on the man.

Listening to this interview they gave him a fantastic deal for his talent and fit. They held back the guarantee because of his brain/IQ and character.

In the end everyone lost. The Steelers, Bell, the fans, and even the hapless Jets.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brady went to a loaded team with another outstanding coach. He also did very little on the first Super Bowl team he won in New England. He was a game manager for a team that won with defense and special teams.

If you don't get how good Belichick is, that's either ignorance or hatred getting in the way of good sense. I say that as someone who can't stand the guy and thinks he has built much of his success on finding little ways to cheat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure Brady factored into that SB win but I'm not sure his being there was the linchpin to holding together that team and getting the victory. Their defense and Jones having some 200 yard rushing game led the way to several victories including the SB. I don't discount the Brady factor because teams were trying to shut him down and thus opening up the run game but this wasn't Tom Brady showing up in Tampa putting the team on his shoulders and dominating the league. It was more a successful veteran locking down a spot where they had struggled with consistency.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Le'Veon was very nice to my wife, back in 2017 against the Jets(Funny that was the team we were playing)he picked up a ball singed it and gave it to my wife and hugged her, because she was wearing his Jersey, he did all this without being asked, he did it because he wanted to. It was pretty cool.

But, he got the worst advice ever from his Agent. He should of signed that deal the Steelers offered, or he should of came and played on his 2nd Franchise tag, which was like $14 million if I remember.

All he had to do was come in light it up like he been doing, and go off into Free Agency and sign a big deal some where.

He sat out missed on $14 million, and took maybe a worse offer than what the Steelers offered with the Jets.

I'm sure he was annoyed on being tagged a 2nd go around.

He also had this thing that he wanted paid like one of the best RB's in the NFL and also as a #2 WR.

As amazing as Le"Veon and AB were it seems like Steelers fans have just tried to delete them out the memories. Very talented group, but just couldn't win it when it mattered most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Robertooo

Robertooo New Member

May 31, 2023
    Le'Veon Bell's departure from the Steelers to join the Jets was a highly publicized move that was accompanied by a contract dispute. In his explanation, Bell shed some light on the reasons behind his decision, citing a desire for a more lucrative contract and a desire to be utilized differently in the offensive scheme. While the decision was met with mixed reactions from fans and pundits alike, Bell's explanation offers insight into the factors that led him to make the move.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell Bell couldn't even be there when it mattered most.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I recognize Belichick as the GOAT, but Jameis Winston had the same HC and team with the Bucs and couldn't even make the playoffs :shrug:, even as a game manager early on Brady led the team to field position for game winning FG in the Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    And was like one play away from going to the SB the following year in a very exciting game.

That team likely would not have been as loaded up if Brady didn’t join them. A lot of those stars went there to play with him and his talents. It paid off…

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting comments.

One point regarding Tomlin, Bell makes a statement that if Tomlin not Gase was coaching the Jets they'd of win at least nine games even with a bad team. His words.

With that said, it is crazy they didn't win a SB with the three Bs. I got a chance to see them against the Ravens in their comeback victory at home. Pretty amazing to see.

The whole thing regarding Brown and Bell is a shame. I think egos got to the point of beyond control and they had to go.

Both would be HOF if they just chilled out a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Merrily Merrily Mary MariJuana .......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1