1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin Named Third-Best Coach In NFL, Praised For Non-Losing Season Streak

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 25, 2023.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Wowsy, wowsy, woo-woo!

• Like Like x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah, made diamonds by hand.

3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I applaud Tomlin

We have been luck to have him

Recently just like Ben he has underachieved in my highly biased opinion

We haven’t been in a SB in 16 years (counting this) that makes us below average statistically

He’s been given all the new toys he has asked for

If we don’t end the season on a fairly high note it’s time to punt his butt

Unfortunately he will still have a year on his contract or more if extended

I hope Omar plays wait and see

Ditto Canada

If we do punt normally one would expect mostly a new coaching staff

As is Tomlin and Canada do not align contract wise

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Khan won't be the one making the call to extend Tomlin or not, that will be Art's decision.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The 70's set the standard, tired narrative, huh? Not sure what team you have watched from the 70s to present but that has always been the standard here and a successful season was based on at least making the post season.

The narrative that needs to be done with is that simply finishing with a winning record but failing to make the post season is a measure of success, that's pitiful. That may be acceptable to some but I always hope for more, having a shot at post season football and looking towards the Superbowl is what is acceptable to me as a Steelers fan, but hey, to each his own. I will continue to hope once again this year.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  7. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well, I see nothing wrong with being excited about a good draft class. But I wholeheartedly agree on your other points.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Art will have to sign off on it but it will most definitely be a joint effort

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For the first time ever... I can confidently state this.

My reaction towards this list matches up to your picture in the most exact way possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Talks are likely still ongoing. Tomlin definitely seems to want to stay in Pittsburgh for as long as possible and Kahn/Weidl want him along for the ride. People need to remember that Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher both left on their own terms. I seriously doubt AR 2 is going to pooch kick Tomlin out for it is likely that Tomlin will leave on his own terms as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    If the standard is the Super Bowl then how can just making the playoffs be a successful season?

It’s all about context. The Steelers and Tomlin are praised for this current non-losing season streak because it shows a level of consistency that’s rare in the nfl. The truth is that the team hasn’t had a realistic shot at seriously contending for a SB since ‘17. Since then the team has been transitioning from 1 “franchise qb” to another hopeful one. Anybody who was expecting the team to compete for a title with post-‘17 Ben either doesn’t know football or just isn’t realistic.

All of the “man Super Bowl is the standard not having non-losing seasons” whining just completely context and the circumstances. They were supposed to be SB contenders with a rookie qb or a shot Ben?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not disputing, just a different recollection. I thought Noll could stay, but most of the Asst's were going to be let go. He decided to retire rather than going through an entire rebuild. I may be wrong, and while he made the final decision, there was conditions to it.

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Over the last three years, the Steelers (with a fading Ben and then the combo of Picket and Trubisky) have the third most wins in the AFC, trailing only Kansas City and Buffalo. The end of the Ben era, rebuilding or whatever you want to call it, and we're third over the last three years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Couldn’t disagree more.

15. breeze

breeze Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Coach T has had winning seasons 13 of 16 years (81%) and somehow got 12 wins (and an 11 game win streak) with that shoddy, depleted 2020 team (after losing Shazier, AB, Le’Veon and with Ben beginning to decline.

Look, I grew up in North Carolina and I’m a diehard TARHEELS fan. Tarheel fams hated on Roy Williams for years, said he couldn’t manage the clock, etc. But numbers are stubborn. He was more successful than Dean Smith. I offer that to say that good coaches and good QBs are rare. Tomlin’s performs and he keeps the club winning and earning. Most that play for MT say he brings a level of knowledge and excellence that outclasses other franchises. Give it up. We have a good on and he’s here for as long as he wants to be.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is time for the Steelers to be relevant again. Haven't we had a first ballot HOF qb, a very good wr and RB for Tomlin's career?

• Like Like x 1
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Agreed 3 playoff wins in 12 years. We got ourselves a good one boys. MT 4 Life

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Squeaky toy has spoken again

And again and again……

19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not enough

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to win an occasional playoff game

It’s been a while but I don’t remember how long

23. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    [​IMG]

I know everyone likes to bash the coach and blame him for all things wrong with the Steelers.

I think Mike Tomlin is going to show everyone that he is still a great coach and this team is ready to win in the post season starting now. I really believe that this team will start ascending and be contending for Super Bowls with the current core of players led by Mike Tomlin.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i heard Tomlin wanted to go into media, last year. oh well, I guess he will keep coaching.....here.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this.

WIN a PLAYOFF game. Forget SB's, that is years away, with the current crop of AFC HOF QB's in front of us. How about this: get to some AFCCG's!! How about that - is that asking too much? Some of yinzers are getting used to mediocrioty.