1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank You. Memorial Day.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 29, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hope everyone is enjoying the summer kickoff. I want to say thank you to all who have served and to the families of those lost defending us so bravely. not just the armed services but to all walks of life that contribute to the cause. first responders, down to the folks that keep the rooms clean at the hospitals. keep all our loved ones in our memory and in our hearts on this memorial weekend. stay safe and God Bless. we still live in the greatest country on earth. God Bless the USA. Go Stillers.:herewego: :applaud::flag::cool:

• Like Like x 11
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    To all who served and sacrificed

• Like Like x 5
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    now off to the i think one and only graduation party this year. so many cousins and nieces and nephews. :facepalm: cost a small fortune most years.:lolol:

vacation countdown starts today. next week. :dancing::rawk: gone fishin. keeping it simple. the whole gang is going. new daughter in laws, sons, wife, dad and step mom. on the lake don't call. :lolol::smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I thought of my dad and brother today who both have passed on. My dad served in the Navy in WW2 and my brother was in during Vietnam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm grateful for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice. Without their deed, I can serve in the Navy nor enjoy freedoms and post on this vary message board. Loads of my generation died in Iraq/Afghanistan, loads if my parents generation died in Vietnam and loads of my grandparents generation died in WW2. They're the real heroes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I saw a friend posting pictures if the cemetery in Normandy and it totally reminded me of my experience there. You see buildings that were shelled and the beach littered with trenches, barbedwire and other military equipment. One of the buildings that were shelled is within a few feet of a house with a swingset in the back yard. The cemetery is sobering in itself, but the setting that surrounding the cemetery really hits it home on what these young men and women were dying for.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My dad was a military Doctor war time my mom a military nurse

Poof I showed up

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was recently in Tunisia

There is a us cemetery there as well

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!" George Patton in North Africa 1943.

• Like Like x 3
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My dad also served in the Navy in WW2 and my brother served in the Air Force during Vietnam. My dad has passed on but, thankfully, my brother is still alive and well.

Did your dad serve in the Atlantic/European theatre or the Pacific/Asian theatre?

• Like Like x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My dad was navy during WWII. Ended up doing 27 years. I had 4 uncles in the war also. 1 Navy, 2 army and 1 who was KIA in the Army Air Corps. My oldest brother missed the draft lottery during Vietnam by 1 number!
    Happy Memorial day all!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Originally in Europe in Scapa Flow near Scotland and then transferred to the Philippines. He was awaiting the invasion of Japan until Truman dropped the A-Bombs on Japan ending the war. I still have a letter he sent to my mom stating that the war was over and that he would be coming home because of a new type of bomb that we had that could level an entire city with one blast. He wrote it on August 8th 1945, 2 days after Hiroshima and the day before Nagasaki.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a poorly (quickly) made flag with 48 stars that I hang at the appropriate holidays in honor of the relative it was draped over