1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where's the fire????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, May 29, 2023.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I've been keeping a close eye on ota's and especially the interviews.... The most alarming ones have come from Dan Moore and Kevin Dotson... Both have basically conceded their starting positions before the competition has even begun.... I'm appalled that these 2 have pretty much gone belly up rather than fight tooth and nail to improve and make our newcomers earn their role...
    Before he went full diva, AB was interviewed and stated that he continues to improve himself because someone every year was gonna come in for your spot, and it was widely recognized that no one was outworking him... And this was from someone who's starting spot was basically carved in stone and never in question....
    What happened to this attitude among our players, and do we even want guys around that don't have the spark to weather some competition

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    “ all I can do is focus on me and control what I can control. And that’s getting better every day”

:facepalm:

3. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Moore was far more open to the challenge to fight for his job. Dotson just appears to have given up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

I think he is intimidated by Green replacing him

Ok I just made that up

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe it was a false start...

I feel he knows because of his penalty consistency and them bringing in Seumalo AND Herbig he would be a back up. Also I think behind the scenes they were trying to move him during the draft. Showing his displeasure might get him a ticket to ride. I was hoping they traded him during the draft for a 5th at least. Might just release him now.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Strongly disagree with Moore. If anything, Moore is doing all he can to remain a starter in the league. Be that as a Left Tackle somewhere else or a Right Tackle should the team elect to cut Chuks come next season.

Now granted, it is still possible that the Steelers could opt to draft another Offensive Tackle if Moore fails to take another major step forward next season. That said, among the two, Moore is far more eager to continue to press onward for his NFL Future whereas Dotson appears to have resigned to the idea that he will be gone either by next season or as possibly as early as the end of the preseason given how the team has signed both Isaac Seumalo and Nate Herbig.

Regarding Green?! Currently speaking as of now... he is the teams primary backup Center... during OTAs anyway. Again, we are in may so I don't believe there is too much to worry about. That said though, this is something worth monitoring.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Outside of saying positive things about Broderick Jones, I haven't seen anything regarding Moore that says he's giving up. The few quotes I've seen from him are about improving offensive line play this year.
    As for Dotson, haven't read very much at all about him.

9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Not great he is thinking about going elsewhere

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Kevin Dotson showing early signs of Mason Rudolph Syndrome.

Symptoms of MRS include withholding extreme anger while exhibiting a positive demeanor, delusions that you should be the rightful person for the job, and acceptance that your time is coming to an end.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Who is on the 2nd string? Herbig and Dotson at guard and Green at Center?

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think that would be Dan Moore having Mason Rudolph Syndrome.

Practicing with the 1s and thinking he can keep the young rookie on the bench to start the season. (I don't think Picket received any 1st team reps last year while Mitch and Mason started splitting 1st team reps during camp)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of the two clips, I liked Moore’s demeanor better. He even made a reference to guys needing to be ready to step up if someone else goes down, which indicates to me that he can get himself into the mindset of being the swing tackle if necessary. Either that or he has secret plans to hire Jeff Gillooly and Shawn Eckhardt (watch out Brod!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Correct.

Mind you this is OTAs. Groupings are subject to change I am sure. Training Camp will give all of us a better picture.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's wait till pads are on.

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Moore definitely has a better attitude about things than Dotson, however, his admission about training at RT and being ready to step up in case of injury is basically a low key concession speech

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He should be looking outside in. Center? He doesn't want to play the position. And do we really want to see that again? They need to realize they made a major mistake and cut him.

James Danial's can move to center if be.

Why try to fit a square peg into a round hole? I can't see any reason that he should be taking up a roster spot. He was last season and was Inactive the Whole Season! If they want to save face they can hide him on the practice squad.

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Kind of agree with you on Dotson, Moore I think is still gonna fight a bit for a spot.
    Dotson as a back up is pretty good option. But, lot guys like Kendrick Green, Dotson, and Dan Moore Jr to a extend, were playing
    because Steelers had no better options and had zero money to sign Free Agents to bring in to compete against.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I still don't understand why they let Hassenauer go if Green is going to be the backup option at center. We've seen more than enough of him at center. He can't play there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Moore hasn't conceded his spot. He is likely still competing for the RT job even if he loses (immediately or eventually) to Broderick at LT. Even if Jones is the day one starter, Moore could still start at RT. Chuks is very cuttable next year and if Moore shows that he can continue to improve, they may elect to stay with him at RT moving forward and move on from Chuks and pocket nearly 9 million in savings.

For Dotson... He's right. He isn't going to be the starting G on either side no matter how well he does (we paid Daniels and Seumalo and brought in another G in Herbig). He understands we no longer have him in our future plans. He is definitely looking to get better and hope to cash out elsewhere. He will still work hard though because if injuries occur and he gets on the field... he is playing for his next contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I could answer this easily....Name Me one 1st round draft pick .....whether they were better, or not..... that didn't take the Guys place in front of them in the last 11 years......
    Also I don't think that Moore has given up from what he says, but when You look at the history of the team(most teams), and see......Example: Jarvis Jones was never better, but He played because He was a 1st rounder......same can be said for T. Edmunds, Z. Hood, and so on.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Long term, their best option is Moore at right tackle with Jones starting on the left side. That Jones seems to realize this isn't him giving up anything. Maybe it won't happen day one, but they didn't draft Jones to have him sit on the bench all year behind a middling pair of tackles.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed, it is Apple and Oranges for Moore and Dotson.

Moore is just the standard NFL high draft pick coming in to compete for your job thing.

Dotson was essentially bench during the offseason when Seumalo signed his 3 year $24 million contract.

FYI. Maybe the old man of the board has something here. Steelers save $2.7 million if they drop Dotson this year. Dead Cap cost would only be 164K.
    upload_2023-5-30_11-39-18.png
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/kevin-dotson-47730/#:~:text=Kevin Dotson signed a 4,dead cap value of $164,704.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is Green just practicing at center now

I thought I read he was taking snaps at both G and C

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree. TBH if Jones is close/tied, I'd rather just give him the experience of starting and learning. I always thought Moore was a RT playing LT. He is a strong run blocker and his issues in protection can be better compensated on the right side. He will have less of the twitchy rushers to go against, thus making him a bit more successful.

I also agree Moore is the best option on the right long term too. He's a solid enough player and shouldn't cost an exorbitant amount. We can get that cost savings from Chuks and figure out a reasonable swing in FA or in the mid rounds of the draft again. For a pair of third and fourth round picks, Moore and Chuks are fine enough players. We seem to do well in that area with the position.