1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I have at least 14.5m reasons why I'd bounce Mitch, Dotson and Witherspoon tomorrow. They'll probably be camp cuts or traded away. I wouldn't have any of those 3 on my Week 1 roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mason Rudolph fans live to fight another Day.

And Yes, I AM willing to admit that I was secretly rooting for Mason Rudolph to win the Starting job last year.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Just move on already

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I also had higher hopes for Mason.
    After Ben went down and Mason stepped in only to have his crowning moment to be fighting with the Browns, I sort of slipped away.
    He's a good guy, but good guys don't finish first in this league.

His signing doesn't hurt the team, in fact there is some value there.
    He knows the system here and he knows the NFL.
    That knowledge can help the team.
    And some team might lose a QB in preseason and need a vet.

Or maybe he doesn't even make the final roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like the kid and glad he's back. no big deal if he's 2 or 3. let it unfold in camp.

tanner morgan must not have wowed them that much at mini camp and if he did they just want better stability for our young guns. doesn't mean morgan won't make the PS down the line or maybe more.

another thing rudolph helps is our depth players. he will be working with them as well and as everyone has said mason knows the system.

maybe just maybe Glenn Thomas helps out mason take a next step too. his passing game knowledge could work in masons favor. maybe they are comfortable enough with mason as the backup now that we have sullivan and thomas coaching to deal mitch for some draft capital and cap money savings.

maybe morgan did show something that now we feel comfortable enough to make a mitch move. it's evident that he's not real happy playing second fiddle.

i don't care that mason didn't take us to the super bowl 3-4 years ago. that's what most are stuck on. he was basically a rookie when they threw him to the lions back then. heck ben didn't fair much better after that either. i think we have a far better but younger team around these guys now then we did back then. let's see where it goes. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think the Steelers are waiting for someone to have a sudden need a backup QB, and will trade Turdbiscuit for a draft pick. I doubt that they keep both Reindeer and Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well at least this puts the Willis nonsense to rest.

This could possibly be a sign that if a team comes a callin during the season due to a major injury they can jettison" Sing along with Mitch" hopefully for a 4th rounder and make the team he goes to take on what's owed to him.

Tanner Morgan to the practice squad.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Masons main problem is he truly felt he was a starting caliber qb. I mean look around there are some pretty damn QBs in the league and he just can’t compare. It’s not embarrassing to say “I played many years in the league as a backup, and made millions doing that.”

I would be proud of that accomplishment, he should too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Good for Mason. Glad to have him back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    In 2019, we saw how quickly a team can find itself playing a No. 3 quarterback. They obviously wanted cheap insurance at quarterback. He knows the system. The team can win with him if the defense plays and the other players on offense step up around him. I'm just not sure what young guy is out there that is worth having on the roster. I didn't see much about the quarterback from Minnesota that made me think he had some great future value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mason can play back up. Kenny is your guy, if Kenny goes down for season, season is done anyway. This is the case most times other than Kurt Warner and Nick Foles situations.

Mason can come in and manage a game, he won't be the reason you win, probably usually won't be a reason you lose.
    He can float your team over 3-4 games if he had too, maybe go .500

For a #3 guy totally fine, even if he's #2 I am good with it. Because its all ride on the Kenny Pickett train, if that train derails, season is toast either way you look at it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was also rooting for him to win the starting job. Hey, I definitely wanted Kenny Pickett to become the franchise QB as a first round pick (I hate to see it wasted). I've said from the start last year that I felt Mitch was brought in to make Mason compete and that was before knowing they would get Kenny. Mason responded by stepping up and competing. IMO someone forgot to tell Mitch he also needed to compete and was just given the job. Worst case for Mason would have been to name him the starter game 1 following a HOF-QB. Expectations and standards were set high for anyone in that situation. It became obvious Kenny was to be the eventual starter last year which is why it didn't seem Mason was given a fair shake in the deal. If they truly wanted Kenny to sit a year, Mason would have become the starter after Mitch's early failure. I hope Kenny is able to step up his game this year. While he didn't play lights out, he played like a winner and clutch in the end. I know many may not agree with may next statement, but that is exactly how Ben did over the years. It would be a close low scoring game with many 3 and outs until a game winning drive in the last two minutes. I can't tell you how many times I screamed at the TV "Where was that the first 58 minutes of the game!???"

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Most teams are screwed if they lose their starter long term, but what if it is just a few games? That is why you need solid backups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This move definitely makes Mitch trade bait. Well, there goes access to the workout facility in fla.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really doesn't do that. They clearly have more faith in Trubisky than they do in Rudolph. We saw that all last season. Sure, if Morgan shows enough and some team makes a great offer, they might trade Trubisky, but I wouldn't be shocked all to see Trubisky as the backup and Rudolph No. 3 and inactive for the opener.

19. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they have confidence in Mason. It gives them trade capital in which I think Mitch is the trade bait. They will have two guys in camp as backups to Kenny. Mason, who believes he can be a starter but wants a shot. Mitch who believes he is a starter and is unhappy with his situation. Depending on how things shake out in camp for other teams, I can see someone approaching the Steelers for Mitch. Mason handled himself as more of a professional than many would have last year. While he was frustrated, he never doubted his ability and his role on the team. He didn't unfollow the team as others have done. He remained vested and committed throughout. Meanwhile, Mitch commented he wished he hadn't signed so quickly with the Steelers and wished he had further explored his options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph didn't hide his displeasure with the team, either. He said he loved his teammates, but implied that feeling didn't extend to the organization. This idea that he was somehow more professional about his situation than Trubisky is nonsense.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope Mason gives a better effort in camp and preseason games this year

22. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Sweet! Maybe use him on 3rd & long. Have yet to see #8 complete anything deep, maybe bring Mason in to throw the long ball. Heck, he may even throw more than 1 TD in a single game!

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They take 4 QBs to camp

Now they have 4

Camp will sort out the rest

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Trubisky's comment that he should have looked elsewhere vs. Mason stating he can only control what he can. He was definitely more professional. They are both competitors so you can't expect Mason to sit there and say they got it right and he didn't deserve a shot. He didn't say anything negative toward the team other than he disagreed with one of Tomlin's assessments of why Mitch started the Carolina game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011