1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The official 2023 NFL draft thread (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Thanks! That’s the one

• Like Like x 1
  2. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Jason Taylor, Daniel Scott. Terell Smith, FS
    Mekhi Garner, Charlie Thomas SS
    Cory Trice CB

• Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If you’re referring to Bennett it wasn’t even a dui. It was public intoxication. More stupid than anything else and not exactly uncommon behavior for someone in their 20’s

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    He is VERY athletic for what he did. He actually reminds me (not saying he IS as promisng) of TJ Watt as a college player. TJ is now strong as an ox and quick, but coming out he was more quick/agile than strong. Watching tape, this is Herbig, VERY quick off the snap. A 40 time is workout warrior stuff. Watch and trust the tape and game speed, not a straight-line, unpadded run. Granted an LB running a 4.8 or 4.9 is red flag territory (unless its Levon Kirkland sized), but running a 4.4 guarantees nothing on the field, except an LB than can catch the guy 40 yards down the field he couldn't cover or sack, assuming he has a relentless motor and isn't a loafer. ;^)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Trice would be an excellent 7th round pick

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But only you keep facts, not me. The pats only had to make an educated guess on one team, not thirteen down the line. And as wild as the first round was it’s still far easier to predict than the others the deeper it goes.

I never said “entirely” luck. That changes the reality of my statements. I don’t see how anyone can’t see that the war room valued the extra pick in the trade with other possible players who’d be available when they picked and felt that was more important than gambling that he’d still be available.

The REAL fact is is that fans, analysts, coaches, front offices are all guessing for the most part and are just as often correct as much as that they are wrong. All of them. Or else it would be much more of a science. That’s why so many booms and busts. Everyone is wrong - a LOT.

Your approach is how it played out, but nobody can say it was correct or incorrect. It seems it was obviously closer to the front office, but correct will be answered after a lot of games played. You wanted him way later if at all, so, 3rd is being very generous with yourself.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone else worried about Washington’s knee?

I got to say I’m concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    KK, I was thinking it was DUI, public intox is even less worrisome. That said, I have no respect for alcoholics (weak minded and bad for everyone around them), so due diligence to make sure it was just a poor choice night knowing he'd have some folks taking videos of the top QB on a championship team. Every young man should be able to party a few times without worry. Were that me, no one would be taking a video. I am sure he was embarrassed and if it WAS just a single bad night, then all the more likely to not be doing that again. Again, due diligence and avoid drafting anyone addicted to mind altering substances if at all possible.

9. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Is that why he wore those huge hip pads, to cover his insecurity over his skinny frame?

He would have given anything to have some junk in the trunk.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Man, I keep hoping we deal Dotson…

Probably too late for a 5th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Now this is very true. I see old college games in the 80s and the OL are all like 250-270 and 70s pro games were the same thing. Its crazy how much bigger, faster and stronger players are today. That said, Lambert would still be a pro-bowl LB today. He'd have been stronger and probably even faster/quicker given he'd have the same access to improved nutrition and conditioning programs and weight training.

The Kent States of the college world today have facilities and programs that the Bama's and UGAs had in the 80s. Everything has improved greatly. Even a Jack Lambert/Kent State 2023 would be exceptional mid round picked LB (smallish frame, but quick with upside, leadership and relentless motor).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    So, we have two late draft swings left. What position of these they pick?

Do they still have rankings on guys this late? Is BPA even still a thing or do they attack a pick based on positional need and very little intel. Maybe they have testing and measurements and few conversations.

SS
    Slot DB
    EDGE
    C
    WR
    QB

13. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Best value imo is Jason Taylor S who can play both safety spots. Then, Matt Landers WR. Those are the biggest impact players available.
    Then, Trey Palmer WR, Mekhi Garner and Charlie Thomas SS who will have to move to SS from college position.
    As far as OL, Aslim Richards, he can move to C.

14. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Was just thinking the EXACT same thing.

15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    The Bengals are not the Bungles any more.

16. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Its a concern of course but the potential and where we landed him was worth the pick, amazing value there. Washington of course claims it isn't much of a concern per his quote to media:

"Some teams had concerns with knees because I’m taller and a bigger guy, Washington said. They talked about some knee swelling. For me, I had no injury with my knees ever, knock on wood. I never tore anything in the knees. I had knee surgery on the right knee, but that was just cartilage that flaked up, they went in and cleaned it.”

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm as juvenile as they come. Something about the term "fat slob" has always made me LOL. That he is going to the Browns, whether he can play or not makes the term all the more apropos. A perfect fit AFAIC.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was a bad look, but i do not think it cost him anything to much in draft status, I had seen drafts with him going as low as 7th round. So he went likely where he should have.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    "Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life son."

22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Well, it's Fat, drunk and stupid. LOL

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Luckily I'm just drunk, fat, and old.

• Like Like x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

:facepalm:...Is it lonely sitting up there on your high horse looking down on others?:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Flounder, lmao..what a name for a Brown...Flounder flounders for the floundering Browns