1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The official 2023 NFL draft thread (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    a couple of places I visit had hoped he would make it to the 7th. Dont know much if anything about him, but they felt he has a decent chance to develop into a nice pro.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I like the pick, but you’re not exactly comparing apples to apples. Offensive linemen were 250-60lbs back then. Some weighed even less.

3. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Think link should have that video STARTING at the point they talk about the steelers (saved link from current video time). But if your browser isn't compatible in some way, then its 1:39:07 ish.
    I also noted below the video the second time:

"PFF guys talking about Steelers results after pick 49. Pretty dang flattering and I fully agree. Khan, Weidl and co kicking names and taking butt!

at 4:00:54, they find out about the Darnell Washington pick. Same guys loses it again. LOL"

4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    and this guy weighs 15 pounds more than Lambert did. I like this pick as well. He is not small for a linebacker

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think last 2 picks for Steelers will be 3-4 DE and QB.

6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    There are no QBs left on the board worth taking.

34DE
    Jalen Redmond or Dante Stills, that's it.

7. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I know some believe Herbig has a smaller frame and isnt a good fit. However, Haasan Reddick and Nolan Smith are both comparable in frame size. Herbig has a motor and the drive to compete at the next level and get to the QB.

Also, with his connection to TJ who was already a friend and mentor to him and will continue to be, his brother now being a teammate, in addition to Loudermilk and the drafting of Benton, the chemistry and camaraderie is all there. What a great fit in my opinion!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll start with the end of your post. I'm discussing the topic as you are, which is a good thing.

We are both speculating, but the facts support my side of the argument. The Steelers waited in all of those situations and it worked every time. It isn't entirely luck. Teams do get a feel for what other teams want. For example, the Patriots seemed to know the Commanders would pass on Cristian Gonzalez when they made the trade with the Steelers in the first round. They knew they could still get their guy at 17. I think the Steelers did the same thing with Washington. Sure, it is a calculated risk, but not one that is reliant entirely on luck.

I'm not revising anything. I thought all along that they should wait on Washington if they took him at all because other needs were more pressing. That turned out to be the correct approach.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Eagles draft Bulldogs, while Steelers draft Badgers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It looks like they will at least start with him on the outside. Perhaps that is just for a season or two, with the idea of eventually moving him inside. They did that with Lawrence Timmons.

I agree with you. I am concerned about their lack of depth in the secondary. They are thin at safety and don't really have a true nickel cornerback. I'm guessing Wallace or Peterson will move inside in passing situations if they feel like Porter is ready to start.

11. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Think link should have that video STARTING at the point they talk about the steelers (saved link from current video time). But if your browser isn't compatible in some way, then its .
    I also noted below the video the second time (04:00:54):

"PFF guys talking about Steelers results after pick 49. Pretty dang flattering and I fully agree. Khan, Weidl and co kicking names and taking butt!

at 4:00:54, they find out about the Darnell Washington pick. Same guys loses it again. LOL"
    Didn't he have just ONE off field issue? Guy is like 25 or 26 years old (old by rookie standards) and had one bad night and got a DUI. I am no bulldog fan, but constantly players get labels after ONE incident. My goodness, glad I am not in the public eye, I'd be labeled all sorts of things and wouldn't be able to get a job welcoming folks to Walmart, much less as a Network Engineer that I have been the past 24 years.

Maybe I missed another "incident" and yes, DUI is not a good thing, but it's also VERY common and only bad if it results in an injury/death. I have never had one, thankfully, but have driven home well over limit probably 5-7 times over 25 years of driving. Thankfully none recently and thankfully I really hate the taste of alcohol (wine and liquor/whiskey tastes like I would expect drinking gasoline to taste like..icky, dark beer is about all I can stomach).

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Lambert was small even then and he has been retired for nearly 40 years, so I'm not sure that is the best comparison. He is on the small side, but you aren't going to get perfect players at the end of the fourth round. Hopefully, he can be a useful third outside linebacker this season, put on some weight, and perhaps become more down the line.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agreed.

I gotta say, I love the idea of family members playing on the same team. I really believe it helps those two players work harder to play on the same team. There is value there for them and value in the locker room. The more unity the better.

Band of Brothers

Either the organization agrees in a similar way or it’s a crazy coincidence they keep having brothers.

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I would love to trade Dotson and take Terell Smith or Antonio Johnson here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Every player from a big school, interesting.

16. rcoplien

rcoplien Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Sweet another Wisconsin Badger! Now both Herbig brothers play for the Steelers and both the Watt brothers play for the Steelers. All Badgers:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be cool if the Steelers could get edge rusher Andre Carter II in the 7th. He is a big (tall anyway) and fast kid but didn’t play against elite competition while playing for Army.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Passing downs we have Porter, Peterson, Wallace, Minkah, Kazee, Spoon, Maulet and maybe Pierre if he's around. That'll do for now.

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Is that Iowa State nickel back the Steelers met with still available? It sounded like they really liked him. Potential 7th round target?

20. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Also, don't forget about Loudermilk and Benton, fellow badgers as well. Unfortunately, Derek Watt is now a FA. I imagine Heyward fills his spot.

21. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Jarvis Jones was a product of the Bulldog schemes. I read plenty of scouting reports that said he lacked moves and agility and most of his sacks came when a QB was flushed or stunts. Jones was labeled a project. That is code for this was a bad pick, but we're paid to say something good about each pick. Burns was easily a project too. I have a good memory of those picks. I was not a fan of either. Burns was a pure measurables pick, thats it. I was/am a closet Hurricane fan and Burns never showed out in ANY game. He wasn't making super players breaking up passes or ints. He wasn't first round material. Jones was first round on production, but even my brother was skeptical of the pick as a UGA fan. He didn't care for Jones and was glad he was gone. Mainly because if he didn't get a sack, he didn't do much else and he pointed out his inability to beat a half-decent OT.

That said, yes, hindsight does wonders confirming or denying initial reactions and opinions. In this case it confirmed mine and most scouts/pundits. You may be thinking of Steelers fans reactions when we all try to convince each other that this "project" was a shrewd pick. This is the first year in a long time none of us are trying to convince each other about a specific round 1/2/3 pick. It's nice to feel good about these picks and I won't be coming on in five years if one busts and stating I knew he'd bust because I feel like these are all good, promising NON-project football players and not an Artie Burns measurable/workout warrior that had very little real college production.

22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    This year’s draft gives me optimism similar to this year’s Pirates. Let’s hope it sticks

23. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Anthony Johnson Jr., he's still out there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Jarvis Jones pick never made sense. Dri Archer did more bench reps than Jones did and he was slow to boot.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not all of the expert response to Herbig is positive. CBS sports compared him to Sutton Smith, a sixth-round pick of the Steelers in 2019 who failed to make the team.