1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The official 2023 NFL draft thread (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dude that’s cold, LOL!

I loved Eric Green, then he wound up on the Ravens. My last memory of him was talking smack at Cowher on the sidelines.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ?? did Balt Jump us in the 3rd and take Simpson, or have we already traded bask by then ?

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No other team has ever done that. The Steelers 1974 class is the best single draft by a team in NFL history and it isn’t close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It won't happen if a coach is living in his fears, coaching not to lose, rather than coaching to win. The Steelers shouldn't want Pickett to be the guy doing the QB sneaks. I would have Najee taking snaps under center and getting used to the 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 plays, but the first time he fumbles the snap, that would be the end of that. So that is why I am suggesting Duggan, even though he played in shotgun most of the time.

By the way, what is more important, a back up gunner because the team could not get a first down, or a player that can get you a first down, thus you don't need a backup gunner? I don't want the Steelers analytics to be the Chargers, but when the Eagles convert 31 of 33 3rd and 4th and 1s, you need to copy that formula.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Damn I didn't know that he had stone hands, holy crap Ike#2. I kept hearing JPJ but never looked into him but he has bad hands, wtf?? The way everyone seemed to be talking he was Mel Blount #2. Well I guess if he can break up passes and lock his man down, but how can you play football your whole life and not have good hands? Boggles the mind.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is not premature. The Steelers were right to pass on Washington at 32. They were right to pass on him at 49. They were right to trade down rather than take him at 80. We know all this as fact right now because they got him at 93. That would remain true even if he develops into an all-pro. As an example, just because John Stallworth is in the Hall of Fame doesn’t mean Chuck Noll was right to want to take him in the first round when others knew they could get him much later. The correct decision to wait allowed the Steelers to have the greatest draft in NFL history in 1974.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not by Benny

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Loved that guy. He was one of my favorites from that era

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I noticed Skoronski wasn’t picked in rounds 2, 3, or 4. His stock is falling rapidly!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Also to say this was not a need is non-sense. We have Muth, Conner, and Gentry. I have read comments here and other places saying Gentry is a great blocker to a complete bum. I would say very average, so much so was not offered a deal anywhere and came back here for minimum. Tha's fine, depth is needed. Muth is fine and might develop into an exceptional receiver, can block well enough on an assignment, but is not a road grader. Conner is a football player. What he has shown so far is he can be a valuable part of team, but all 3 are not Washington. Blocking and end zone target potential alone makes this a steal. Won't even suggest the packages we can bring with him on the field, that will have to make a D coordinator prepare far more than if it was just Gentry. Muth and Washington are viable 1 a and b.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, sure, that why hindsight has a benefit attached to it.

If he turns out to be amazing, then yeah, of course it’s a worthy debate. Especially if other guys before him don’t pan out.

Like, should the Steelers have taken AB many rounds before? Even before Emanuel Sanders? Hindsight says yeah, but he didn’t have otherworldly projections. Most analysts had a 2nd round grade on Washington and if he lives up to the billing then it’s one instance of them being more right than the war rooms. That happens every year.

Doesn’t make Kahn or you more correct YET. He has to play up to his rep or down to his pick. We shall see. I’m just enamored with the luck in how it all shook out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BluegrassSteel

BluegrassSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2022
    We should be patient, might be able to sign him as an undrafted free agent!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree, we had needs and we have filled them with potentially great talent. We needed OL help and got it, we needed CB help and got it, we needed Def line help and got it. Add in the off season moves which look solid and we have added badly needed talent to offset some previous draft busts. We need another draft and offseason like this next year and we will be in unreal shape, all provided KP develops because the days of being so good on D that you can Dilfer your way into the Super Bowl are over, you need an awesome QB period. So lets hope KP has a great 2nd year and suffers ZERO, NADA, ZIPPO concussions! Let's roll. Did we trade away Canada for a pick, that would just complete this draft nicely!!

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This draft has been a feast on TEs. TE on the NFL level is not an easy task.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So the Pats and every other team were correct on passing on Tom Brady till the 6th round???

Ok bud… Trying convincing the whole universe of that logic. I’ll be over here watching the show enjoying my beer.

Facts? Love how people spell opinion like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    :facepalm: Bruh please tell me you are kidding?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Future Value vs Present evaluation

Traditionally we have refused to trade future draft picks, Recent years we have traded later rounds for early/mid season pick ups (mainly due to injury). A couple of years back we traded a future 4 round to move into that years 5th for Loudermilk.

Do you see any potential moves like that, pro or con???

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I read that his twitter name that he calls himself is “the 6th lineman” or something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't know what is funnier to me about this board, the usage of the green font or the need for it to begin with. Social media makes sarcasm such a lost art.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    are those your guitars?

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Not sure but i would to find away to get atleast 1 more pick somewhere between 4-6 rounds

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    you forgot the green font

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    While Brady is one used, many players have been passed over, and went on to have spectacular careers. The same reverse logic could be used on the many first round busts, or even those you are just average. You never know, I like the pick and where (and how) we got him. But you cannot say 'we should have picked him at (????) when the other choices had equal or greater value and served a position of equal or greater need. its all a crap shoot. if Brady would have been chosen on the 2nd, probably a lot of WTF's we have a good QB already. But in hindsight we would say what a brilliant move, lol.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Stetson Bennett at 251! We need insurance for Pickett and Trubisky! Ask the 49ers.

• Agree Agree x 1