1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Steelers seem to be prioritizing character (former captains) and pedigree(former probowlers).

They are still bargain hunting but the strategy seems a bit different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Should be fun to watch him play Nose Tackle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't in cap hell, despite what you want they were never going to go out and sign a bunch of expensive free agents, the Steelers will always build mostly through the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree that there’s anything unplanned or haphazard. There have been personnel decisions that have worked out poorly, but that’s not because of haphazard planning. No team is immune from bad personnel decisions, and we have had some bad ones. Giving up 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for Bush being #1. Also remember that the Bush decision was a response to an event outside of the team’s control where a great personnel decision turned into a void. Drafting and keeping Tuitt were also good decisions that turned bad when he had a family tragedy and left the team with an unplanned need. Sandier and Tuitt were two good players who disappeared from our roster without warning due to tragedies. No amount of planning could have prevented that.

I’m not happy with everything we’ve done this offseason, particularly that we didn’t retain Sutton, but I’m RE happy that we didn’t jump on the big signing bandwagon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mason has been down this road before and probably learned a lot last year about knowing when to commit to a team. He was the Starting QB going into free Agency, then he was the backup QB going into the draft, and then finally he became the 3rd string Inactive QB going into the season.

Mason probably doesn't want to relive that experience again. Wait until after the draft then pick a team that has not just drafted a QB in the 1st round.

• Like Like x 2
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ugh… Please stop with exaggerations. It’s like debating with my wife. I never have said I think or want “a bunch of expensive free agents” ever. Or even close.

But when we have so many roster spots to fill and a few draft picks, yeah I’m looking for more moves especially with us having a rookie contract with QB and a bunch of other traditionally expensive positions. Unless they restructure they only have a few million to shop with in free agency because they need some for draft pics and a soft cushion for an emergency in season use like they always wisely do. In a few years if the they re-sign KFP things are going to be crazy difficult.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. Injuries are the worry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Not expecting you to have read or remember my statements as of late. I agree and have referenced to unfortunate losses that the front office had nothing to do with and put into a very difficult position regarding not only those two great players, but I included Bell and AB in there (and could have also tossed in Martavius Bryant too).

But tell me, if they signed a banger CB or LB or DL player you are going to tell me you wouldn’t be happy? Why?

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Khan and Weidl, loving this duo.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Would you prefer signing a “banger” or retain our own?

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @S.T.D how'd he play for LSU?

• Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Fehoko seems a little small to be playing nose, but like what little I saw in this breakdown

• Like Like x 4
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought He played DE in LSU.....So ...unless I'm totally mistaken, and not remembering correctly. :shrug:

16. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure where you were going with this post.

I’m going to give my grade on these.

Patrick Peterson - C (hoping this pans out to a solid and realistically possible B+)

Nate Herbig - Solid B

Cole Holcomb - C+

Elandon Roberts - C

Isaac Seumalo - B+

Le’Raven Clark - D

Keanu Neal - D+

Breiden Fehoko - D

——————————————————

Larry Ogunjobi - B-

Damontae Kazee - B+

Zach Gentry - C-

So, from my perspective the organization is at about a C to C+ in free agency. Sorry, I was hoping for better. But I bet you’ll bump the grade to a B or B+. I sure wish I was feeling at the B level.

Opinions, we all have them.

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I think they could have and should have done both. It doesn’t have to be an either or scenario.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Right

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Losing Sutton stings. He was my “banger” corner, and I would have matched or beat the Lions’ offer to keep him. At LB i preferred Edwards and Tranquill, but we got a similar mid-tier guy in Holcombe. I’m really glad we didn’t get into the Tremaine Edmunds sweepstakes or pay what the top DL talent got this year.

I absolutely did not want a big dollar free agent this year because the way the contracts are structured, there is a big jump in cap hit from year 1 to year 2, and I think 2024 is when the window opens. I don’t want to be entering next season strapped and having to let talent go out the door. I’ve said that before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well My opinion is ....I agree with all of Your grades.....except the ones You graded D. I dont think any of them are lower than a C, and just with that....the grade would be higher. Pat Ps could easily be a B+....it really comes down to how much He has left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude there is now way you know who Fehoko is to be grading him already. Im reserving judgement on him until I look at some of his games.

You’re basing your grades on name recognition.

They have literally upgraded every position and have set themselves up to let the draft come to them and not reach.

Been a very good offseason. Can’t remember them ever being this aggressive. Sure you don’t like that players but they are addressing all their needs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its fine to have a different lens, and a lot of what you are saying has rational merit. I don't know the plan will work out any more than anyone else, but I do at least see a plan. We will know even more after the draft as well and should feel a lot differently about certain position groups in a month's time.

SS is the only spot I think we've gotten noticeably worse at so far, and we've gotten a lot better at the ILB position and OG position (at least theoretically based on the players in and out of the starting lineup). CB is minorly worse, but with the addition of a highly drafted young guy, I at least see the plan of bringing in a highly talented player a touch past his prime to mentor a young stud.

Ultimately the reason why the team was mediocre last year was because we had questionable QB play for a good portion of the season, and it makes a lot of sense we looked a lot better as KFP came into his own a bit. We could have stayed the exact same team and gotten quite a bit better just on the progression of KFP alone. I think we are marginally better as it stands now and will hopefully bring in some quality players with our first 3 picks in the draft. If KFP can become an above average to borderline top 10 QB by end of year this year, we should have no problem being a playoff team. We might even compete with the Bengals (although I'm not 100% sure we are quite there yet). But if KFP is no better at years end than he was at years end this season, we are probably a 9ish win team again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Some opinions are worse than others, but everyone is entitled to them.

• Like Like x 2
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Addressing yes, but with “bargain hunting”.

Yes, slight upgrades except at both guard spots.

P2 may or may not be an upgrade over Sutton - we will all see how this one works out. It’s almost boom or bust due to his current age and obviously not his great history. I’m wondering if his heart is in it or he’s just looking for a last paycheck.

Our 3 resignings are not upgrades those are lateral moves.

Then what grades are you giving if criticizing mine?

I’ll admit that signing guys who have zero recognition and made it this far into free agency while being looked at by teams, coaches, scouts and other people who are professionally in-the-know and now landed on our depth chart that - yeah, I ain’t giving them any gold stars. If they deserved a better grade they would have been picked up a week ago given their age. If they were old, or known guys looking for big $$$ then I understand why they haven’t signed. But with youth on their side, and not known while being dropped by their team tells me they are at Kevin Dotson level - and that is a D.

Tell me why connecting those dots is wrong.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1