1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well, yes - but get ready - it ain't happening!!!!

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Extreme single wing

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Progressive formation. Canada’s installing it next season. Can’t believe you haven’t heard.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I get you... Problem solved.... You can't have a bad left guard if there is no left side of the line. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    E10D67A7-8BD5-4605-9B77-504F329DDB0E.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Put both Trubisky and Rudolph in a bag. Shake them up reach in and pull one out and that's as much 0f an evaluation you need for these two. Trubisky probably gets signed somewhere if the Steelers cut him because there are teams out there that that think he will make a good backup QB. He sucked this year. I will never forget that three interception game against the Ravens. So pick one and be done with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They already did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    poor mason still truly believes he is starter material

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    To quote the brilliant John Malkovich. Mitch played last year like he didn't want this job, he wanted the job after this one and his approach showed that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dulac reporting Keanu Neal is close to a deal with the Steelers. Would replace Edmunds.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Wanted Neal bad in the draft.

Bud is in town today, too.

Make it happen Steelers!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like Keanu Neal, him staying healthy will be key though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow, I don’t recall Neal doing anything good in a couple of years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    28 years old - 3rd team - he’s Edmunds or worse.

Steelers still bargain hunting.

But but but they could have so much after restructures. But won’t until the bucket is empty with muck.

Great job Kahn.

WTH are they doing? It’s like they don’t want a squad that takes a leap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t really like the possibility of signing Neal, but we don’t have cap space now or next year to be signing expensive talent. We still need to address Highsmith, a home grown talent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am pretty sure if he signs he will immediately become Terrell Edmunds replacement as the Strong or Box Safety.

Are the Free and Strong Safety positions going away like Split End and Flanker? Funny moments on Ben's Podcast where Muth raised his hand and asked "What is a Flanker".

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I love this offseason. I look past the names and look at the players themselves that they have signed and they are signing good players. Definitely have upgraded several areas.

Neal has played well but went through a period where he was dealing with injuries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Still positioning themselves to take a top tackle or CB if they get to 17. Maybe they trade down though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's certainly worse than Edmunds, but he didn't sign to be the starter. He's quality depth at Safety though. We love our 3 S sets and we have 2 guys on the roster rn that I feel confident in being put on the field for meaningful downs at the S position (Minkah and Kazee). He's more of a box safety/dime backer and can be the back up SS.... he will see the field in non-ST duty either in sub-packages or through injury.

I don't know what you were expecting. We were never going to squeeze every restructure penny we had out of the long term contracts on our books and dump it into high risk/high reward (big dollar) guys on the open market. We weren't solely bargain hunting though. We got one of the top G's on the market in Seumalo, re-signed Ogunjobi to a pretty big deal, replaced the loss of Sutton with a good short term option in Peterson, and got a quality starting ILB in Holcomb. We also re-signed Kazee for a good deal, and filled out our depth with Herbig, Roberts, Neal and Clark. A Dupree signing in the next 24-48 hours would be pretty nice too.

It's pretty obvious what our plan was. Re-vamp two position groups that killed us last year (ILB, G) and replaced our losses in Sutton and Edmunds with quality enough players. We are set up in a good spot to not HAVE to draft any particular position too early in the draft because we have noticeable voids.

IDC if 2023 isn't the first year of our open SB window. This franchise's SB hopes will go as far as KFP takes us, and he won't be the best version of himself in 2023 (hopefully). I'd rather us build a bit slower and be ready when KFP hits his peak. We absolutely are building a squad that should take a leap, we just aren't trying to rush it with a bunch of flashy/big-name signings that could backfire and hurt us in the 2024-2026 seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree.

That’s why I started the other thread/post where I asked why we are still in cap hell without having Ben any more.

Again, rookie deals for starting QB, LT, RB, and TE.

Would many other really well run teams - financially - be against the cap like we are?

I don’t think so…

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I also think we have done a nice job. We're in a good spot heading into the draft. Would love to see Dupree added soon!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    A lot I agree with you here and just as much I disagree with.

Look, I hate being pessimistic. I’d love to love everything they are doing, but I don’t. I see half of the replacements as minor up grades (except for Seamalu as a decent jump) and a few players who are actually worse.

I don’t care that others don’t like my lens here, because it’s just how I’m reading into it. And I’m not going to bite on the projected exaggerations of what people THINK I’m wanting the team to do vs. the reality. I’m not looking for splash after splash. But I was hoping for one or two very impactful free agent grabs.

Yes, signing some of our own is very good, but so far we’ve only kept two. The biggest needed keepers Sutton and Highsmith 1A and 1B - one is gone and the other not inked. Sorry that I don’t feel like we’re sitting pretty. We seem stagnant after a season being barely above .500.

FYI - I love Fitz and Kazee but neither should be pushed in a SS roll. They are true FS d-backs. Edmunds was mediocre and bargain hunted for a guy a touch worse than him to learn our system. Head slap face palm!

I agree with the idea of building for a real run starting not this coming season but the one after, however - I’m not feeling the plan or seeing a smart direction. Especially defensively… It’s feeling haphazard and just trying to get some guys into rolls and not cohesive plan/identity/perspective/point-of-view.

I hope I’m very wrong and others are correct. I’d love a plate of crow.