1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have the Steelers done a bad job?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s ok, felt like 32 years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I got my math wrong. Must’ve been the whiskey.

Kosar was an attempt at humor. But if you think all is wrong because they lost lost Edmunds and Sims, well there may not be enough humor in this world for you to have some optimism.

• Like Like x 2
  3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Shula won his SB’s in a different era and the game had passed him by. If not for Marino’s abilities he’s have been forced to retire or flame out earlier.

It’s not only homerism. LOTS of great players from the area, but few are seen as a wild miss that the Steelers should have gone after and it’s because he was the right guy for the gig at the moment. Not even the Steelers releasing Johnny effing Unitas makes people pull their hair out like them not pouncing on Dan Marino. Because all the parts were there and should have fit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Well, they sure are taking their sweet time filling out their holes with valuable free agents slipping off to other teams while they sit around like nobody else is shopping. They only have five picks in the draft and two of those are in the 7th round.

Sorry if I don’t feel like this current team is built on bedrock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    They “can” free it up, but shouldn’t that have been done much earlier in free agency when the better fruit was on the vine???

The players they did sign haven’t set most people’s world on fire either. The IOL guys seem like good upgrades from what we had.

Of course I like or love some of our future foundational studs. But are they enough?

I just think any team with cheap rookie contracts at QB and LT should be at the strip club with a far bigger bankroll and not a bag of coins.

6. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Vegas would have had numbers that said it was very likely

• Like Like x 1
  7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Don’t worry we will win 51% of our games every year and talk about how amazing Tomlin is

• Like Like x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    One omission of the great post that @Blast Furnace made about why the Steelers will be better in 2023 than 2022... the need for a Slot WR. That was supposed to be Anthony Miller... then he got hurt. Calvin Austin III was supposed to fill that role once he could catch up to the game speed of the NFL... but got hurt. In short?! People may have ragged on him but Blast and others were right in the team missing JuJu Smith Schuster; a big bodied Slot WR who was reliable for much of his time here. As it stands currently?!... there is no true Slot WR on the team. Now, the team did visit Iowa State and have met up with an accomplished WR in Xaiver Hutchison. While he is not going to outrun anyone, what he can provide is both a great MOF Target alongside Pat while being able to generate lots of YAC.

Johnathan Mingo from the University of Mississippi is another option;

Wouldn't mind either but Xaiver is my guy. However, if neither are available, Jayden Reed from Michigan State would be someone I would not mind taking in either the 3rd or 4th round.

• Like Like x 3
  9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Too many roster spots and not enough draft pics and (currently) not enough cap room to operate unless they dredge the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    So nabbing a Slot WR is a wasted pick?!

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Who will be the first Steelers player to wear #0?

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

This year - I’m actually thinking yes to that question. While we are thin at that position we do have players there provided there aren’t any injuries, but we know there will be. And knowing the Steelers they probably will get one for you.

I’ve been saying in other threads that I’d prefer a new tight end instead. We need one, and the TE can help with our trench blocking help AND can hopefully also be a BIG receiving threat in the slot. - Two birds…One stone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea, building a team means the only way to do it is to have a lot of high draft picks and a boatload of Cap space every year...sometimes I sit amazed at the shallow understanding. We have some very highend players under contract, likely desire to sign a some more, but are supposed to get all pro FA's for every position? The one that did get away, Cam Sutton i wish they could have kept, but I understand also it takes both parties to agree..Cam had a better offer and the steelers felt they could not..or Cam just wanted a new place. its more than just having bucks, its getting the right players, and building around them.

as for slot, not wasted at all, and 3rd or 4th is a likely place to try and land one. The jury is still out on Austin, it might have been you who wrote despite his size, he made defenders look foolish on the field. I do not think he could hold up in the slot, his abilities, if or once established will make DC take notice. Once you have that, then the offense can explode, simple because trying to cover Austin and Pickens becomes a nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not at all. They’re terrible and will remain terrible until they blow it up and fully rebuild

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Crazy enough, I think the Steelers are ahead of schedule when it comes to a rebuild/retool.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If you look back at the last 10 Super Bowl winners, 7 of the starting QBs were drafted by the team. 3 acquired through free agency/ trade. 2 of those 3 were Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

But for the other 7, the majority of Super Bowl winners, their teams were mostly built through the draft.

The Rams and Bucs were the only “big splash” free agency players. Teams will try and emulate that. Both knew their runs were not long term.

Thus, not making the big splash doesn’t deter my optimism. The team will get better. Better at D, better at running the ball, and better executing the offense. That’s a winning formula.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Dionte Johnson to match his TD total last year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i think so. how productive will he be year 1? (not much...) Austin will be that guy.....or find a proven vet. no need to draft this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you misunderstand me. I’m talking about filling holes with BPA free agent guys where we need someone.

There is a gulf between “big splash” and what Ben says the Steelers do (and we all already know) - “bargain hunt”.

Bargain hunting produces minimal gain and we need to make a big jump to compete in our division never mind our conference. And frankly, I don’t want TJ’s peak years and time wasted on team fine with middling. Screw getting KFP a Lombardi - I want to get TJ and Heyward one.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    D J

He earned it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will not argue with You Guys about it.....Your minds say it's so , and mine says it's possible, but not a forsure thing as some like to think. You can't just replace one player. It doesn't work like that. By drafting Marino a lot of things would have been different....therefore the team would have been different. It's like dropping a stone in a flat pond, and watching the ripple. So I agree to disagree. Simple as that.:thumbs_up:
    Also Vegas Had Buffalo as the sure bet in almost everything last year, and us last in the division. How did that work out ??:thumbs_up:

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Me. LoL. I'm ordering another one , and instead of 69 ....this time I'm get 0. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    That’s one year. Over the course of a career the stars and moon most likely would have aligned.

Of course it’s not certain, but a LOOOOT of people would stake some $$$$ on it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its basic, they are turning the page and are rebuilding. Not totally. Its still early in the process and this season I expect them to take another step forward. It will hinge on keeping the top tier injury free and Pickett improving. And Mr Saturday being a Sunday play caller.

I'm excided with first getting rid of Claypool (a ballsy move) which gave us as close to a 1st round pick. Then the moves in free agency leaving only one ILBer and grabbing two new starters, grabbing 2 interior players, a Hall of Fame corner and signing Ogunjobi and Kazee back. I like what Khan and Weidl have done so far.

Bring on the draft!

We shall see how it all plays out come camp and the start of the season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1