1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Only two options I see personally; Brian Branch and Jordan Battle. Branch is the superior player of the two but Battle is more aggressive defender. For that matter, this is what I had great concern about dating back to season's end; losing one of either Edmunds or Kazee ultimately makes the Safety spot much higher on the depth chart.

Given how the Steelers sent literally just about everyone to Alabamas Pro Day, I wouldn't be surprised if either Branch or Battle are in play in the draft. Obviously different draft slots of course but depending on how the board breaks, who's to say if Pittsburgh has a choice when the dust settles for pick 17?!

I know if the likes of Richardson and Levi's falls, boy oh boy. Trades are gonna go off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    elijah riley and killebrew are the two safeties left with any kind of game experience in the NFL. i actually kind of like riley.

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/elijah-riley/

miles killebrew

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/miles-killebrew/

scott nelson is a futures pick from late last year.

those are the 3 at this point. kazee will man the slot for them mostly. i think i had read somewhere arthur maulet had played some safety at times for other teams. still, not a full timer, but has played as our nickle corner quite a bit. :cool:

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

this touches on this very subject too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...tp&cvid=aa4058b7eabf4b59ba93a8abe022b17e&ei=8

:cool:

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    My money is on the Eagles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Good blocker. Hope the Bengals don't get him.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Edmunds wasn’t great by any means but he hardly ever missed games and did a decent job most of the time. He will be missed and it’s another hole to plug now. Bringing him back on the cheap last year was a good move and I was hoping they might get a two or three year team-friendly deal done with him this time but it didn’t work out

Good luck to him, he is what he is and it’s not his fault he was over-drafted

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Kazee is going to be their starting SS he's like 180lbs, they will probably sign one in free agency, or draft one so they can use their three safety package.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers met with the safety from Iowa State at his pro day, I doubt they're just focused on Battle and Branch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Noticed You didn't say a thing about Your Bengals claim from earlier. :lolol:
    Yes the Steelers thought He was better....until they got Him. That's why He was benched. Like they thought Edmunds was good, Jarvis was good, Bush was good, Burns was good, and so on....it happens.
    As a Steeler.....
    Mitch Trubisky : win loss 2-3 ....4tds, and 5 ints.
    Mason Rudolph: win loss 5-4-1....16tds , and 11 ints.
    Yeah tell Me again how much better Mitch is. LoL
    I actually believe if the right people spouted out enough times that I could turn lead into gold .....some of You would believe it.:lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Freaking Schefter...

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    What is the comparison here with Jeff Bezos?

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The fact that people that a certain amount of money is ok. No. You get the maximum amount you can.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now actually look at their entire careers and see just how much better Trubisky's resume is than Rudolph's. It's not close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I stated those two as they are arguably the two best fits. Both are plug n play capable. I have more concerns about Anthony Jonhnson Jr in terms of understanding the more finite aspects of the position. He can play the Safety, Slot and Nickel but merely just playing them is not going to be enough in the NFL.

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    cole can play any of the spots on the line. daniels can play any interior spot on the line. these players are valuable to have. this line isn't costing that much at this point so nobody gets cut. green and dotson are the guy i'd let go. :cool:

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't have to mention the Bengals game. There are plenty of times where the defense wins the game... Hell, Ben won a Super Bowl completing less than 10 passes and throwing 0 TD's and 2 INT's, but the defense only gave up 10 points.

Also, you do realize that Mason has only won one game in his whole career where the defense gave up more than 14 points? How is that not the defense winning games? The defense essentially won 4 of Mason's 5 games. The offense has scored more than 20 points in only 3 games that Mason has started (and finished) for his whole career. 3 out of 10. Mitch scored more than 20 points 7 times in 9 starts the final season in Chicago (the season they send him out).

I'm not arguing that Mitch is some great QB... He's just a better QB than Mason. It's really not an opinion at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think that is all just speculation. We don't know that the Steelers view Herbig as a starter ahead of Daniels or a starter at all. We don't know that they won't move Daniels to center. Idk. Just a lot of speculation based on absolutely nothing there.

We DO know that Seumalo is one of the starting G's. The center position and other guard position are the ones we really don't know how they are unfolding at this time.

I still think its a Daniels - Cole - Seumalo interior with Herbig as the swing interior lineman. Daniels is likely the back up center with Herbig into the lineup as G. We will keep an emergency G/C on the roster that we don't plan on playing. Maybe Hassenauer. Who knows.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hassenauer had a visit with the Giants yesterday. No word on a deal yet, but I'm not sure he would come back.

The worst of those four starting options on the interior is Cole, but I'm not sure how comfortable they are with Daniels as a full-time center. If he can make that switch, the interior is that much better. If not, I think it is Herbig who sits.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve been skeptical of everyone saying Herbig is automatically the swing tackle, not so sure thats why they brought him here. He fits the mold of what Weidl likes. The very least he will get a chance to compete for the starting job.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers roster has him at 174

He’s too small to support the run

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

mcollum and green are now. :cool:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

elijah riley. :cool:

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Of course it's just speciation, hence the phrase "interesting take". It's just one person's opinion, except this person is a helluva lot more knowledgeable about offensive line play than I am.