1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why has DuPree not signed anywhere yet?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Mar 22, 2023.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm sure he is trying to get as much money as possible. There are still a lot of good players available on the market. Just because he hasn't signed yet doesn't mean there isn't interest. Teams could be waiting for the price to drop and players could be waiting until draft day when there will be teams that feel like their need for a pass rusher didn't get sufficiently addressed in the draft so their value goes back up. Lots of ways for both sides to play their hand.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I never understood the hatred that Bud received here. Obviously we weren't going to pay him what TN did but I wouldn't mind getting him back if the price is right, which is not likely. We clearly have a much higher need for ILB though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You've heard of guilt by association right well this is guilt by position. Every drafted OLB needs to be Greg Lloyd from day one or have an equivalent story to Harrison being cut 4 times. Bud was the 1st guy drafted for the position after the disaster of Jones. Since Bud was a project himself as was Jarvis they are considered similar. Many were casting TJ in that line of thought as well after the draft and into his rookie year. Now they dog him about the money paid and not seeing a return on the investment or so I'm told. Me personally I think it's all crazy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    you think DuPree stinks?

You think he is done?

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes...Or SOMEONE would have signed him

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    interesting.

Not sure what he has left in the tank. I'd look at him, bring him in for an exam. low ball him. he will wait. some team will need a LB in Sept after a big injury and he will go there for good $$

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

Dupree's signature move against offensive tackles

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Testing the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Someone will sign him

Right now he apparently wants more than SOMEONE wants to pay

His value may change after the draft

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ramon Foster is all about Bud coming back to Pittsburgh.

Bud's number 1 fan has got to be Ramon Foster.
    Is Bud still the same? My answer every single time is Yes. He's Bud!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I always felt like this was a pipe dream for the Steelers. Your literally asking a guy who was a starter here a couple years ago to now come back and swallow his pride in front of his peers of which many he played with before and now be the backup to the guy that was his backup. Your almost asking him to admit his recession and accept defeat. Thats a lot of humble pie and we didn't even talk about limited pay. I just don’t see it happening.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He is coming in for a visit. Maybe he is just using the Steelers to try to drum up interest, but that seems unlikely. A lot has happened since he was starting for the Steelers. He tore up his knee late that season and the last two seasons have been ruined by injuries. His value is down drastically from what it was in 2020. He can ignore reality or try to put himself in a position to rebuild that value. He would get enough snaps to do that as the Steelers' third outside linebacker. I imagine we would even see some sets with Dupree, Watt, and Highsmith on the field together, something the Steelers did in 2020. He's not going to start in Pittsburgh, but it can still be a good opportunity for him to rebuild his value.

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    To me this just has Ingram written all over it. Like here we go again, but is this a bad thing? Sign a free agent in the offseason for minimum money, let him prove to the world he has value by coming in off the bench, and then trade him away for a 5th or 6th round pick before the deadline.

It is a perfect place for Bud, as every time he comes off the Bench the defense is not going to be looking to stop Bud, but instead worried about the other side of the field with Watt and Highsmith.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He certainly won’t take less to come here but if we are making a fair offer compared to other teams then he probably would take it

Why not come back to a place you know rather than going to a strange team and starting from scratch all things else being equal

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    The way I see it, it’s a good fit for Bud and the Steelers.

He and his agent HAVE to know he hasn’t performed well the last two years. Whether it was injury, age, or defensive system…whatever. They have to know he’s most likely gonna need to sign a one-year “prove it” deal somewhere.

May as well sign it to play here in a system he’s familiar with and had success in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is how I see it, too. Of course, some team might overpay, but Dupree simply isn't in a good negotiating position right now. I think it was a combination of injury and defensive system. He just turned 30, so I don't think age was really a factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    right player, right price!!

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    It's amazing to me how often the steelers are correct on letting free agents walk. Not always but in most cases they don't miss many.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's a good way to look at it. Very rarely do these dudes who leave to get the big payday ever live up to how they played here. Also, we do tend to keep some guys past their "sell by" date.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, he should have stayed but of course no one turns down Muuunee!
    He’s beat up, tires fell off, mileage way down, and bumpers on the ground. I don’t think the valves are tapping yet, so can they put a little bit into him to get him up n running again? Yeah, but ya want to make that deal within reason. This Bud’s for you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mike Hilton?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He wasn’t worth what Cincinnati payed

Letting him go was a good choice

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is what I keep hearing, but take a look at his Cap Hit every year.

$5 million per year Cap Cost and only $4 million guaranteed, for maybe the best Slot Corner in the league? That is like half the cost of Larry O.
    upload_2023-3-27_17-16-56.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think he has moved the needle all that much. I don't think he was worth what the Bengals gave him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's good around the line of scrimmage, but he was getting cooked in coverage in the playoffs last year.

• Agree Agree x 4