1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 20, 2023.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not satire or sarcasm. A bit of hyperbole though. Is it our greatest need heading into the draft? No. Is it a big need? Absolutely

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    yes, I just don’t think it will be addressed with a high draft pick.

The TE coach was at Michigans pro day to watch Schoonmaker. I think that’s the level TE they are looking at.

Some fans may not like it but I think they intend to have Heyward be the #2. For a rookie wearing multiple hats he did well and like his potential there.

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Tomlin and Kahn were both at Georgia’s pro day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not cranky in anyway....., but You don't build a team by keep getting people for positions You already have filled, and skipping ones You don't.

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Is Bowers eligible for the draft? He's the better TE from UGA. Needs to bulk up a bit but he is a clutch pass catcher and big time threat to score.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but if you and Mac are right then he wont be available in the 3rd or later. Shoonmaker would be.

Personally I think they will spend a 7th on the pick or go UDFA. Thats usually all their 3rd TE amounts to. Rader and the like.

If they wanted to address this they could bring back Gentry easy. That’s why I think they are set on Heyward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agreed. Heyward will be the #2 but if Gentry resigns he will be used as more of a blocker anyway. They can grab one in the 4th if in so they don't get a FA or resign Gentry or later on as you stated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I was kidding!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    every team should have at least one..lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Next year. He is a significantly different receiver than Washington. Bowers is more like Aaron Hernandez minus the gang crap

• Like Like x 2
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Heyward can’t block and gentry is an abortion. Heyward is a nice piece to have, but he’s not a #2 te. More of a Swiss Army knife. Washington is basically a 6th offensive lineman every time we are in 12 personnel with the addition of very good receiving abilities.

https://youtube.com/shorts/K0CJmKEJxgU?feature=share

Heyward isn’t doing that

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When he comes off the sled and turns around his chest makes Dolly Parton proud.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And he’s taller, faster, bigger hands, longer arms, weighs more, benched more, more explosive etc… On every combine aspect except one.

Maybe if he wasn’t in such a loaded system of future pro players like Georgia he’d have been more relied on and his stats more stacked.

Just got a feeling that this guy is going to dominate in the league. And I hope in our Black and Gold uniforms.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, let me know when he is lining up across from a sled.

His technique is sloppy, too much bend and dips his head. Remember Big Dan? Need more than size. He doesn’t have great receiving abilities, he has soft hands but he is very limited in what he can do in that regard. He needs work, he’s being way overhyped because of the Combine. Maybe he gets there but some other team can waste an early rd pick on him, won’t be the Steelers.

Steelers fully intend to use Connor as a TE, just as they did last year and he actually handled himself well. I’m excited to see how much more he improves in year two. His blocking wasn’t bad, better than people think. He’s 230, not some lightweight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd take Him, but I think that He would be a luxury pick, and not a forsure need.. JMO

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So much failure in this post. :facepalm:

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Something you display on a daily basis

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t like him in the 2nd and sure as hell not the first. I’m not saying hes not a good blocker but he’ll be moving up to better competition and he has some flaws that could see him not be as successful at in in the pros if he doesn’t fix them.

Three separate draft analysis:

CONS
    • More of a mismatch creator than an actual route-runner at tight end.
    • Lacks the requisite twitch to get open on route breaks.
    • Waist-bender in the run game. Still a bit of a project in that regard.
    ——————————————————————

Weaknesses
    • Footwork into block fits needs work.
    • Gets into blocks with wide hands.
    • Waist-bender and head-ducker at point of attack.
    • Angles to second level lack accuracy.
    • Stiff-kneed, limiting speed to attack seam.
    • Unable to sink and break off routes underneath.
    ———————————————————————-

Washington’s size and frame are positive but bring natural disadvantages also. As a run blocker, Washington does not consistently get his feet underneath him to properly drive defenders off the ball with good leverage.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't take Washington at #17, but if he was there at #32, I would think they might consider it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I’m not seeing those criticisms that you are. And certainly not compared to the other two guys in the clip who are ranked higher from squads with lesser offensive weapons and success than the loaded team he was on. It’s easy to argue his *stats are deflated due to the national champions spreading it to all of their high powered targets. I’d bet some of his under measured stats and quite a bit of his teams success is due to his blocking that is stat-less. And neither Friermuth or Connor are gems in that department either.

I also like Connor too for the Swiss Army knife that he is, that’s valuable, and the three of those guys in the TE room would make me shoot fireworks out of my skull.

I don’t get why the one unique position of TE on a team is as undervalued as it is. The ability to line up one player to block AND/or receive (even run with the ball) if a player is gifted with size and ability is possibly the sharpest weapon on offense IMO. Having two great ones and the versatility of Conner negates my desire for a deeper WR room.

Right now I don’t feel like I have to make a Sophie’s Choice in the room, because one could hope to choose all three.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they get one of top tackles at #17, then draft Washington at #32, who is going to be able to stop the Steelers running game :thumbs_up:?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There is talk about Mayer dropping because of his combine, if they are going to take a TE then he’s the one they should take if there at 32.

I doubt he makes it past 20 though.

Pickens/Johnson/Austin

Muth/Mayer

Harris/Warren

Who’s stopping that.

• Like Like x 2
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree but still need to see more investment in OL. I like the Seumalo pickup but would like to see a real stud OT added either draft or trade. Run blocking improved greatly throughout last season. Not so sure about pass pro. Gotta protect KP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Edmunds signing somewhere else really throws a wrench in everyone’s draft opinion of needs and priorities for this team. Unless the pull a good FA rabbit out of a hat.