1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

I mean... George Pickens, to me, has more potential as a WR Number One that Diontae Johnson at present. Granted, when it comes to routes, Diontae has George beaten pretty damn good there. However, just about everything else?! George is the better player.

One major aspect being ignored though in all of this isn't if Diontae is a number one or not. What must be questioned is can Matt Canada improve enough to give his Weapons a chance?! Again, this is the same Offensive Coordinator who has no idea how to play to the strengths of his players. The same OC who does not, for whatever reason, run Hot Route concepts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well he best improve! Can't wheel out the same swill and expect better results...

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No coaching hires by now, probably won’t get one :puking2:

Rolling with Mr Saturday offense! He doesn’t need no stinking wingman!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately. Canada's quite headstrong rumor has it. And Tomlin seems to be putting all his chips in trusting him. Hopefully for the sake of Pickett and the Offense it does get better. But you have to keep up with the Joneses and score. These close to the edge wins are nice playing teams of the same caliber or less last season but the top rung teams need to be kept up with in the scoring department.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Let's just hope He has learned....it can happen :beg:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

The difference between this ⬆️ and this ⬇️

I liked JuJu and Chase but I’m glad there are no more Tik-Tok-ers left.

Give me guys that work.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Give me a receiver who can score a touchdown

I don’t care if he’s as fat as me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s got 21 TDs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember my mommy reading me that book

It started “Once upon a time…”

:smiley1:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So whats the anomaly, the one year he didn’t score a TD or the three years he did?

Breakout season coming ;)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Another proof that most weapons are made by the Qb. Only thing that changed from DJ catching tds every year to Him not catching any was the change in Qbs.
    Also I'm not $hiting on KFP....He was a rookie, but Trubisky showed that it had nothing to do with that"He had no weapons in Chicago" crap

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’d like to see us trade Johnson with our 1st round pick and a 4th round pick to move up for a franchise LT this year. Then grab a a WR in the 3rd or 4th round after we trade Dotson for a 5th rounder.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You want to go into the season with a question mark at lt and two question marks at wr?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky threw a beautiful pass to Johnson in the end zone against the Jets. Johnson had room to get both feet in bounds, but he was to sloppy with is feet to get it done and cost them a touchdown. Trubisky didn't play well, but Johnson played a role in the lack of touchdowns, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    That's the thing about Trubiski.
    He can throw a very nice and accurate pass when not rushed.
    But it's those moments where he gets a little pressure, or the defense throws a wrinkle in the coverage and tosses one that makes one scratch one's head and go "WTF?"

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. He will make the occasional great play when things break down due to his mobility, but more often than not, things go badly. I was just pushing back against this idea that all of Johnson's problems in 2022 were the fault of the quarterbacks. He blew some opportunities with sloppy footwork on the sideline, poor decisions running after the catch and the occasional poorly-timed drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We don't need to trade up for an OT. We can get one at 17.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    But I want one of the top two rock solid guys not a middling question mark. We are rarely in position to lock this extremely critical position in for a decade franchise LT.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The guy just had an 1100 yard season with 9 TD’s the year before. Offense was down across the board last year, it wasn’t a DJ thing.

This offense would be significantly weaker without DJ in it. What would a 4th rd pick do for us this year? Plus the Steelers track record for finding good receivers is early in the draft. Outside of AB I’m not sure who they have drafted that was any good that they got in the 4th or later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Skoronski is definitely a stud but I just don't see that much of a drop-off down to Darnell Wright. If we could get CB at 17, I'd be super happy with Wright at 32.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I understand your skepticism 100%. But I’m thinking that this season is 1) part of our rebuild for 2) next season to be the big push.

So, yeah, I’m gambling on two things. 1st is that Austin is going to pan out big time. And banking on that his foot isn’t a lingering problem with a young light bodied athlete. He can play the Z. Pickens is solid as the X as we all know. 2nd - while we have new chiefs Kahn and Wiedel making the picks, we still have Colbert in house and the same scouting department who have been money for over 20 years picking WR’s in the middle of the draft. Plus, they still have money to get a solid vet FA.

So yes, combining that philosophy with my ultimate hope of a new big pass catching TE to pair with Muth for a weaker armed young QB to hit passes 10-15 yards down field and Austin stretching deep with his speed (foot - I know) and Pickens ridiculous body control contested catch radius and acrobatics I’m taking the gamble.

This is the last year we can use DJ as some trade capital before he just walks away. I’m trying to go all in for next season while using this season to solidify the following seasons plan and work out the kinks in it.

Call me crazy…

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    See my wild reply to Joe Strummer fan.

Martavius Bryant in the 4th. But yeah aside of him and AB they have all been 3rd or higher.

So let’s get the WR pick in the 3rd but get something NOW for DJ because he is walking away after this season for sure I’m betting and we will get nothing for him. I like DJ despite his critical drops and often running backwards after the catch. I too think it was a QB issue coupled with Canada’s calls pinning him with curls between the sideline and the opposing DB. But I don’t see that going away this season.

I’m trying to maximize his value for the future. If they keep him this year and can re-sign him going forward for a price that makes sense then I won’t hate it. I think he’s a good WR who is 50/50 towards a breakout, but I’m not on solid ground there.

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'm kind of against trading up.. I think if you do your scouting then you can find a good OT at 17.
    I sure don't want to trade away DJ and create a bigger need for WR than we have. (I was hoping to NOT draft a WR at all - just do a little shopping in FA.)

Re: DJ walking... This is a contract season.
    To get that big offer, he needs numbers. So by that logic I buy a season of not drafting a WR and a season of DJ going all out.
    Next year I can do what I want. Tag him, Sign him or let him walk. and I can draft WR's.

There is another option, they might well renegotiate his current deal and extend it to help gain a little cap space.
    It all depends on how they see him fit or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Fyi we do not have the same scouting department

• Like Like x 2