1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They do this every year; fill obvious holes with mid-level FAs so they don't have to reach in the draft. That said, going BPA still means BPA at a position of need. They aren't going to draft a QB in the first round. It'll still be CB or OT most likely unless some DL or LB falls that they really love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ive never heard of him either. Hoping he's an upgrade. Highlights look good. But everyone looks good in highlights.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Bengals roster is falling apart.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They really haven’t tried to free up money yet outside of cutting Jackson.

Further moves they could easily make to free up around 35 million (that includes the money from cutting Jackson)

Cut:

Chucks
    Trubisky
    Witherspoon
    Gunner

Then there is restructuring they can do. They can free up plenty of money if they want to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I could not disagree more. Spillane wearing the green dot helped drastically improve the the Steelers defense from 21’ to 22’’… Especially our Rush defense, from 32nd to number 6….

But since he wasn’t “That Guy” in coverage then he sucked and held back our defense.

Cajun

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

We could trade Mitch Trubisky for a 2nd rd pick and save 8 mil on the cap!!!!

Just Saying!!! Hahahahahaha

Cajun

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He did help the run defense, and I did not say otherwise. It was helpful that he wore the green dot and helped the rest of the defense align properly, even vs the pass, but once the ball was snapped on pass plays he was an exploitable weakness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. It often seemed like the opposing offensive strategy was to throw wherever Spillane was supposed to be.

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Can’t the same be said of Bush AND Jack??? Jack had 3 pass def and Spillane had 4. Also Spillane was Targeted more and only gave up 1 TD and a total of 359 yds for the season.

It’s easy for some to go with the narrative But when you seriously delve into the dynamics is the game Spillane played well. Very well. Great run defender. Solid tackler and made the defensive calls. In pass plays he played to his strengths, didn’t make the big mistakes giving up TDs , but kept the guy in front of him and made the tackle.

Problem is he wasn’t Farrior and in Pittsburgh either you’re a HOFer or you stink.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't say great run defender. He misses some tackles and gets caught up inside on runs to the outside. His lack of athleticism hurt him in pursuit and pass coverage.

He actually isn't terrible on throws farther down the field, but if it's third and 10 or less and you need a completion, his guy is almost always open.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He was Targeted 43 times in pass plays in 2022. Allowed 36 completions for 359 yds and 1 TD. Had 4 pass def. He was the most targeted LB and played well.

Cajun

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure how 36 completions out of 43 plays targeted qualifies as good. Is this from PFF?

• Like Like x 1
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

That really doesn't seem like he played well....... Looks like we replaced Robert Spillane with ........ Robert Spillane

14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I know, he’s a scrub!!!! Glad the Bum is outta here!!!!!

Should've played Bush and benched him last year.

Cajun

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I know, right?? We’re doomed on defense again. Hopefully we’ll draft Nolan Smith and his HOF career will bring the Steelers back to Glory.

Cajun

16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, how is everyone grading this 2923 FA haul in the off season?

Did we get worse or better? Possibly slightly better considering our OL signing and some saved money from signing PP vs. Sutton.

B-

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  17. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Baker to the fuccodears

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But doesn’t it seem too late now with most game changing players already re-assigned? Doubt there are any dynamic splashes.

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We got a two for one ... when we made Khan the GM. He's a genius in working the salary cap

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No way I see them cutting Chuks...He was really solid last year

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe those were statistics for Spillane, not Holcomb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they are done, they got worse. Holcomb is an upgrade, but they lost depth at safety and got a lot older at corner.

23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You seem to be irritated that anyone would say anything bad about Spillane. The same things were said about him pretty much the entire season. He plays with a lot of heart and toughness, not to mention he's an intelligent player hence the green dot. However, he does have deficiencies in coverage and that was not only pointed out by the knowledgeable (and not so knowledgeable) members of this board, but by analysts and play by play guys during the game. These aren't things people are making up because they dislike Spillane, these are observations in real time during games. I wouldn't take it so personally that people weren't high on Spillane's coverage skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s ok. He makes 9 million, his play doesnt warrant that.

He’ll either be cut or restructured.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Has anybody here suggested that Bush was better than Spillane at anything that a LB has to do? I certainly haven’t seen anyone say anything like that. As for Jack, unlike both Spillane and Bush he has actually played well at the LB position (in all phases of LB play). His play went a bit off the rails the past couple of years. I honestly don’t know if he can get his mojo back, but the talent and know-how is there.

You seem to be getting very emotional about Spillane.