1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    From a long time poster on a Commanders message board:

"Losing Holcomb is a huge disappointment. Huge. Terrible decision to let him walk."

Other comments:

"Holcomb has the freedom to roam sideline-to-sideline and wreak havoc with his freakish athleticism"

"Holcomb was an immediate contributor as a rookie, and his on-field play and leadership have developed throughout his 4 years"

• Like Like x 8
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, then it sounds like he checks the box as a direct replacement for Bush. Great!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, I'm not sure we really need one of those. :D

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Pelissero likes him, calls him a big addition for the D. He wears the green dot, too. Big plus.

Looks like the injury kept him from a big payday.

One thing that is quickly standing out to me, the guy is always around the football.

Solid technique, he’ll help with the run defense.

All down hill here, blew up Zeke on his way to the QB

Measurables dropped him down in the draft but check out that athleticism.

If this guy pans out have to tip my cap to Khan. Steelers doing Steelers things. Fans and myself included always looking at the shiny things.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, I’ll wait and see what the dollars are before saying for sure whether I like or dislike the signing. The reason I’m not excited is that he is yet another LB whose coverage ability is an Achilles heel, and weakness to exploit (though he may be an upgrade over Spillane in that area, which is positive). One of our defensive weaknesses last year was having Spillane wear the green dot and play 3 downs.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Your original post on Holcolmb was his available FA rating, I was going to ask where did Spillane rate when he was available, this follow up post pretty much states what I was thinking. We lost a guy who was good on Sp teams and made you hold your breath (especially in coverage) when he was on the field. What I do see with Holcolmb (when healthy) is he can tackle..something the team seems to have forgotten how to do, lol.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Honestly, no, I haven't. But he was ranked #43 on nfl.com list of free agents, so I'm going to say this was a good signing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Well.... the rookie line is a bit of stretch... lol
    But he does play with good instincts. Not 'freakish athleticism.'
    He can and will make splash plays now and then.
    As I said, if you want a player that goes 110%, you got one.
    I don't think his foot is an issue, by camp he should be ready to go.

I like the Highsmith, Jack, Holcomb, Watt lineup.
    Would like to see improvement in depth, that's doable via the draft.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I know PFF isn’t an absolute authority, but they graded Holcomb well above any of the Steelers ILBs last season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    My cap Buddies on here...I would have to think we'd be about out of coin...We had like 7 million, before all these moves...they generally like to have around 5 million for the draft and emergencies...

Restructures / cuts coming?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, there are still ways to make some money for another mid-level signing, in-season contingency spending, and the draft. Restructures could happen (Mitch and Jack both making over $10M right now in '23 and others) and we have a couple of cuts that could save money, such as Witherspoon for $4M.

Right now, we have TJ, Minkah, Cam, DJ, and Chuks counting $100M against the cap this year.

12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I would cut Jack, and and another one...I read somewhere where he was ranked as the next to LAST ranked ILB in the LEAGUE last year...

The last 2 years...He has 0....Int/ sacks / TFL/ FF/ FR, not one big play in TWO years!... overrated AF and washed

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Certainly possible if the draft lands a good ILB to put with Holcomb and Robinson (and whomever else). Cutting Jack would save $8M.

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Kind of like the signing of Cole Holcomb he's only 26, if he bounces back from injury this could be a very good signing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Everybody is an upgrade over Spillane in coverage. He really is terrible in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He played hurt most of last season and it definitely showed. He had declined in Jacksonville so you may be right. Maybe getting healthy and giving him a competent partner inside will help. I would rather see them let Jack go and sign Tranquill, but I'm not sure if that is realistic.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Spillane is a good tackler between the tackles ILB, you do not want him into any kind of space against any athletic talent.

If I was a team with a good TE I would pester him anytime he was in a game.

18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I would be all about that. I've been asking for Tranquill for a while. The money going to Jack would surely help get Drue. They could skip adding a LB early in the draft if they did that. Focus entirely on OT and CB early and then add DL and BPA elsewhere.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Again, I'm not sure that is realistic. I could see them just going with Jack and perhaps asking him to restructure his deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are done at least until the draft. Maybe they bring back Edmunds.

As it stands, their free agent signings aren't bad. If they did cut Jack and sign Tranquill, I would call it a successful free agency period. Even better if they bring back Edmunds as a part-time player and extend Highsmith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Jack’s dead cap number would be $3.25 million, and the savings vs the 2023 cap would be $8 million. I would be very good with a Holcomb/Tranquill LB combo, but I also wonder if Jack could have a bit of a resurgence if healthy and not starting his season playing next to a liability like Bush.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they would have graded YOU higher - LOL

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we are done w FA, I'd think

Sign Highsmith

then DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Was nervous at first, but now the Steelers can literally go any direction in the Draft...My guess is they still would NOT take...QB/ RB / WR/ TE with the first pick...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    All you really need to know is he is Spillane’s replacement on the field and on TSF complaint thread!!! He’ll soon be hated by this group the second a receiver he’s covering catches a pass !!!!

My son has Redskin season tickets, says he likes Holcomb , is a smart scrappy player.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Joe Shobert says "Hold my beer".