1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Glad we agree.

Go check out some of his highlights. You will see quite a bit of Minkah in him. Wouldn't mind him for pick 17; doubly so if either Kazee or Edmunds goes.

2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

Well earned!

Happy for him! Wish we could've kept him!

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but they still need a good 6th team QB for next year’s playoffs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011

I watch every Penn State game and Porter Jr. has all the physical attributes of an NFL CB.... but he is "handsy" and will have to clean up that tendency to avoid a ton of illegal contact penalties at the next level.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Not at that price. He's 30 years old. It's a 4 year deal but I'm not sure how it's structured

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was talking about when we let him go. Def. not now but I am happy for him all the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And it doesn't mean those new guys will be as good as Bates, and Bell were for them :shrug:?

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Have you talked to the Steelers to know they like Porter Jr? Or you're just repeating crap from other fans, and assuming Porter Jr. is the CB they want.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They need an outside CB more, that should be the priority if a good one is there at #17

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I like Dale, but this is a terrible take, acting like mentioning these names after losing Sutton is going to make Steelers fans feel any better :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As you said, if a good one is available at pick number 17. However, you and I both know that even good CB prospects have their values skyrocket due to the necessity of the position. Even someone like Deonte Banks can easily enter the First Round though I was surprised he wasn't being talked about as much considering he was already a fringe First Rounder already given his tape. His testing basically catapulted him into the First though I would not advise spending pick number 17 on him even though he is very scheme versatile.

For that matter, this class is, again, very deep at that position. There is no guarantee that even Joey Porter Jr is going to be available by Pick 17 barring a trade up or if someone jumps ahead of Pittsburgh for him. Joey Porter Jr is about as tailor made for a heavy Man Coverage System as one is going to get; his legendary length a bonus. Only major Corner I could see them acquiring at this point is Devon Witherspoon but he is already shown thus far to lack the reliability needed to play the position. To hell with his height and size as that is not too big of an issue for me. His durability though is fair to question. Cam Smith is also one I wouldn't mind but I also see him going within the Top 40 though he is a First Rounder at worst for me.

Kelee Ringo can be had at pick 32 but there also could be the possibility that O'Cyrus Torrence is there as well given how much Carolina's trade up to the top slot has shaken up the draft in every facet for the other 31. Long story short though, plenty of options to choose from regarding this crop of CBs. Forcing that position to be drafted could result in Artie Burns or even Chad Scott all over again; something I doubt any of us want to see.

Again, the key is to maximize that pick's capability and value. Brian does that as he effectively replaces Cameron Sutton and one of either Terrell Edmunds or Damontae Kazee. As the saying goes, "Kill Two Birds With One Stone". Brian Branch does this to the tee.

Now, if Brian Branch is not available either?! Since Pittsburgh does not posses a Fifth Rounder this season, I would hope that both Kahn and Weidl work that phone to inquire about a trade down. Acquire more picks and still get the next best player; whomever that may be. In exchange?! Pittsburgh hopefully gets another Third Rounder or even Second Rounder as many teams likely could inquire if Bijan Robinson is still available. Bijian may be a Running Back but from the reports of many NFL Scouts and GMs, Bijian is the safest player in the class.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    But yet Peterson is still better than any CB remaining on the roster at present. I can't believe I'm being positive about this... and you are negative. Bizarro world. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm supposedly too positive, but I'm not happy with letting Sutton go, especially because we've seen most of the available inside linebackers sign elsewhere, too. If the Steelers run it back with the same group but Peterson replacing Sutton, that's a huge disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, the account was suspended thats why you cant see who Dale was responding to. He must have cursed Dale out lol.

The guy used to post here under the name SteelersDesign.

Dale called him a tool for using Schefters name and tweeting that Cam went to the Bears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    CB seems more available in this draft (This draft isn't elite in many areas, but CB is decent.)
    Joey Porter Jr would be a good pick because you have Patrick Peterson in front of him - he's a good one to watch and gain knowledge from.
    Same applies to any other CB you draft.

ILB is a sore spot for me. I saw a couple go that were in a good price range.

For me, the #1 target in this draft is OT. We have QB, WR, RB and need a good young OT to anchor the line.
    That would move CB to #2 for me. I think you can still grab one in the 2nd.
    Since we have two 2nd's, we could grab a LB there.
    But all that could change depending on who is available when we pick. I'm not going to pass on a Blue Chip player.

Back to Free Agency:
    ILB - The picking look a little slim now. I'm all for passing day 1 as that is splash and overpay. But there were some deals.
    I could see a depth signing but it sure looks to me like we're going to have to rely on the draft.

CB - Marcus Peters is out there, but I would much prefer youth. Rock Ya-Sin cold be depth.
    I like the draft.

OT - The only young LT is Orlando Brown, that will cost. RT is about the same... people just don't let good ones go.
    OG - I wonder if Evan Brown would be worthy of a contract to target as depth. I've noticed him a few times in Detroit. My idea is to up the level of depth.

On Defense:
    DE - Matthew Ioannidis might be an affordable backup. He came out of Washington's 3-4 defense and was a solid run stopper. Not great, just solid in the rotation. He can line up as NT too. I don't think he would command a lot and might be an option.

A few thoughts, I don't know what they are thinking. I would imagine they want to stick with youth and affordability but sometimes they do make decisions like Peterson where you buy time and gain mentorship.. so Free Agency in Pittsburgh is a bit of an adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    We're back to dumpster diving it would appear. I thought we had at least some cap money to spend but I guess not. Really disappointed so far

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They haven't done any restructures like most of us thought they would, if they want to be more active in FA then Khan needs to get to work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The big disappointment is inside linebacker. There were affordable deals yesterday. The Steelers should have spent for one of them. Failing to do so is a big problem. They can still do something there, but the options are running out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Is our GM related to citizen Khan?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Truth! Sutton was the best on the roster as well. The only one worth a damn is Levi Wallace.

Hopefully they grab a franchise left tackle with the 1st. A corner is not going to protect Pickett when Moore gets run over by a speed rusher. Moore can be moved to his natural position left guard and they trade Dotson for a 5th.

They draft a corner with the 32 pick.

Defensive Tackle with the 69th pick.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with everything but DT. ILB may be better at 69th... depending on who is available.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

5 million guaranteed? Is that per year, or 2.5 per year? If it the later it speaks volumes,

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rosebud.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hindsight is always 20/20...But Tuitt and Gravedigger were up at the same time...Tuitt was coming off a couple great ( non injured years ) and Gravedigger was also playing well but...

They could only afford one and ...............

• Winner Winner x 1