1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I am starting to Dislike todays NFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Anybody else sick of todays NFL?

That was one of the worst Superbowls I have seen in a long time. It was very predictable who was going to win based on who had the ball last.

The NFL today has turned into the fast break NBA. The all time great NFL QB’s are all saying it is too easy playing QB in todays NFL.

I am tired of seeing 160 lb WR’s thrive in the NFL today with no fear of going over the middle now. They have essentially legislated the defense out of the game now to where the only players that are relevant now are the QB’s and the WR’s.

The Referee’s have way to much influence over the game now. Gone are the days of smash football and intimidating defenses or three yards and a cloud of dust and imposing your will on another team.

If they initiate the hip tackle rule which is just another rule favoring the offense then I am officially done watching the NFL. Patrick Mahomes can have all the fictional Superbowls in the world and break records.

At minimum they initiate that rule then they should put a rule in that penalizes the QB for running with the football. If the QB advances the ball past the line of scrimmage they should lose a down on offense... it os only fair to the defense. The defense can barely touch a QB as it is now so these QB’s have carte blanche to do what they want. They and the WR’s are the only players on the field now that can play unmeasured football. Everybody else is tempered and the results and the product is flawed as a result.

They are trying to legislate injuries out of the game and protect their assets like Mahomes and Burrow and it is ruining the game.

First it was Concussions (which I get that one) now it is high ankle injuries, Knees, etc. Yet an offensive player can still chop block a defender. Doesn’t make any sense. I understand player safety but football is a game of contact. That is one of the biggest reasons for its popularity. They are effecting the integrity of the game and they might as well go to flag football at this point.

I can’t take seeing another late game penalty that is a bogus roughing the passer penalty or pass interference penalty that changes the outcome of the game. It has to stop or they will start losing NFL viewers. How Goodall can’t see this baffles me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Then don’t watch. Easy solution

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Yeah I agree. I watched the first half then lost interest.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do wish they would make it less in favor of the Offense. I have seen since Ive been watching....almost every year another rule to help the offense, and hurt the Defense, but that's what fantasy football has done.....it popularized the league with non fans, and so to cater to them they have done what they have done. I will still watch, but Yes .....I would love more rules for the Defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Defense can't win championships anymore.

6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You're crazy about the QB cant run the ball. Some of the greatest plays have been QBs scrambling or planned runs and taking off. Thats part of the game...always has been. Your plan is that QB can only run a sneek...or is that not allowed, since it ends past the line scrimmage. Just say "NO" to drugs

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hockey used to be my biggest passion. As a kid, I would play hockey all the time, both street and ice. I would be out there for hours in -30, fighting off frost bite and loving every minute of it. For many, many years, I religiously watched every Leafs game. I couldn't get enough hockey. The last 5 years or so, it's been different. The passion slowly died. This year, I've watched maybe 2 Leafs game. I don't even know when they play next. There's been lots of people like me saying the same thing for years. Viewership for the NHL is down 22% this year. It starts with fans complaining, and then it translates into reduced viewership and reduced revenue.

Right now the NFL is a juggernaut, but they are not infallible. If they alienate too many people, they'll run into the same issue as the NHL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Tell that to the patriots when they beat the rams

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Ok so they are considering a rule change to make the hip tackle illegal. This is in direct result of Mahomes getting a high ankle sprain from it. It is no longer about player safety but about protecting league assets ie Premier QB’s. This is detrimental to the quality of the product. A 16olb WR should not thrive in the NFL running over the middle but they do now. Look at Smith from Philly. The guy was bone thin and five years ago wouldn’t have listed more than three games without getting hurt. The rules are so in favor of the offense now and especially the QB and WR that it is nearly impossible to defend them. What Mahomes is doing can’t even be compared to QB’s from years ago because the rules completely cater to him.

I have seen QB sacks get called for roughing the passer penalties that have changed the outcomes of games. In all fairness to the defense if you can’t hit the Qb below the knees or above the waist or land on him or hip tackle him , how the heck are you supposed to defend the guy? My 15 year old could get positive yardage running the ball in todays NFL it is nothing special as you suggest. I am not a fan of high scoring games. I am a fan of fair games and challenging games, where an actual touchdown has to be worked for.

I obviously am a big defensive guy but at this point teams are better off just stacking up WR’s and QB’s because those seem to be the only players that matter anymore.

10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The game has changed even since then. But I will say his teams for some reason get away with grabbing and holding a lot more than other teams in the secondary. I don’t know if he knows how to coach them up so they play borderline and don’t get called for it but for some reasons I see other teams DB’s do half the things Patriots DB’s do and get called for PI.

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Well they certainly are alienating people with some of the stuff they support and the wokeness they push on us. But people were willing to look beyond that because the product was relatively still good. But if they continue to tweak the rules to the extent the integrity of the game continues to be watered down then there in for a rude awakening. My Son always played ILB and Fullback growing up. In high school all they practice now is 7 on 7 passing and spread offenses. There is no place for FB or ILB anymore. you either have to be really big for the trenches or lightning fast to play the pass or defend the pass. Those middling strong athletic types are left out in the cold.

I used to love when a defense could impose its will on a QB or WR. It sickens me to see these prima donnas at a 160 lbs jumping up after a first down acting like they actually acoomplished something when the rules are totally in their favor.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Nothing is infallible, and the changes that have taken place..though getting potential higher scores, do leave a lot of desire for more D. Nearly every sport goes through a period where offense gains traction, then defense catch's up, but I think it has gone to far in most cases. Basketball has gone where a 3 pointer was truly a highlight, where now its bombs away. Traveling and carrying the ball is expected. I grew up loving a great defensive baseball game, masterful pitching, moving players on the bases strategically, bunting and base running were a closely watched part of the game. Now its fast ball, aim for the fence or strike out.

The average NBA viewer is 42, 49 for hockey, 50 for NFL, and 57 for baseball. So the powers that be need to find a solution..or we will all be dead lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really hate the rule that allows offensive players to push a runner from behind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    The only one remaining for me is football and I would never go to a game anymore, even with free tickets offered. With the fan experience of being behind people wearing tall hats, holding up signs over their heads, standing much of the game and yelling the whole time, along with the synchronized loud noise when the opposition offense is on the field...sitting at home watching the game with the frig close by, allows me a much more enjoyable fan experience.

15. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Yeah, you can't pick up the QB or RB and throw them down to tackle them, so they fight to stay up until their line gets there to push them forward.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    train your dog to bring a beer, a snicky snack is much cheaper than tipping a vendor, and the snuggles smell better lmao

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually think it should only be allowed at the goal line. Someone will get hurt from it .....badly, and they will change it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    And if someone else walks into the room and goes what's that smell, you can look towards the dog.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Some of us don't prefer to just bury our head in the sand.:rolleyes:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know ....I've been thinking about it today since I read this.
    I do think they should do away with the Qb slide. If You run ....You run, and the only way You don't get hit is by running out of bounds.
    The more I think about it the more I like it. Can anyone else slide without worrying about getting hit???

• Like Like x 1
  21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Any player can give themselves up. Some of the small WR tend to do it, although not feet first. Most RB and TE wouldn’t do it unless the game situation dictates.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Heard several commentators say they feel that rule may get a serious look at this off season. That really means squat, but it has gotten notice beyond the comment here...which shows that we also know squat. lol

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The only games I go to are local, Hershey Bears and Lancaster Atlantic league baseball. The hockey is actually pretty decent, the baseball is decent enouth, on cheap hot dog nights you can sepnd less than 25 bucks (including ticket) and get enough gas to keep you going for 2 days.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone can give themselves up

25. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every player can give themselves up and the play is dead. If they get hit after they give themselves up, it will get flagged