1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    The key words being, "When under center".

2. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Purdy vs. Pickett? Is this a serious question?

Crazy that some aren't enjoying watching Pickett grow. Need to focus on shoring up so many other positions.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well yeah

You can’t run play action very well when you aren’t

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well if we look at the play of our guys at that spot ,I am still sure he would have been just as good..The only guy we have that can play it is Minkah...The best tool a Single High guy can have is speed.. The next is able to make a break and change of direction, the next is the ability to high point balls and at least break up passes.. DHB had all the skills and was a dedicated Football player he was over drafted because of his speed, he always lacked the hands to be a complete WR...He should have been converted early in his NFL career..

The tackles he made on picks and his SPECIAL TEAMS play showed he was a willing and capable tackler ..We only play Single High about 5 % of the time because we cant DHB would have allowed us to do so .. Not so far fetched as we have had 2 WR'S move on to other Teams and convert to DB and DHB had way more natural ability than those guys ..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The cowboys had a good push rush and a strong defense.

But I'm lost. If the system, weapons, oline, etc.. all contributed to Purdy looking as good as he did as you previously stated, why didn't that work for Josh Johnson. You didn't mention how good Purdy was previously as to his success. You kept pointing to everything around him.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Seriously? Josh Johnson? A guy who has been around 15 years and has a grand total of 13 NFL TD passes? But hey, he was an XFL star.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Purdy now needs Tommy John surgery. Will be interesting to see how he comes back from that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    49ers had an epic lose at QB and still made the conference championship. Has to be a lot of 'only if' thoughts in their mind. Miami and Ravens impacted, even Eagles lost Hurts for a fill games up to the playoffs and Mahomes was injured. QB strategy in off season, how can you afford experienced depth.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We have an internet doctor on here somewhere who could have diagnosed that from watching the tv

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I already explained this, but I will do so in greater detail to help you overcome your ignorance on this topic. Purdy is at least a little better than a practice squad guy on his 13th team. Seriously, do you not realize how bad Johnson is?

Purdy had other advantages. He had actually been with the team all season. They signed Johnson Dec. 6. Since then, he hadn't gotten first-team snaps before being thrown in the game against the league's No. 1 pass defense. That is the sort of thing that leads to sloppy plays like the fumbled snap that helped the Eagles pull away before halftime.

It's not as if Johnson played a full game. Not counting two plays in the final seconds before halftime, he had four drives. One was a touchdown. One ended on the fumbled snap. On the last, he was knocked out of the game.

The Eagles also had the league's top pass defense including a league-leading 70 sacks. The Cowboys' defense is good, but not on that level.

If you still don't understand that the talent and system around him contributed heavily to Purdy's success, that is your failure.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I saw dak Prescott of all people put up 40 on the eagles. They don't have this just other worldly unmoveable defense. Purdy came off the bench his first game with no reps with the first team and looked just fine.

I know Johnson is bad just like I belive Pickett isn't good regardless of him not having equal circumstances to Purdy lol. But yiu kept pointing to all these reasons as to why Purdy looked better than Pickett

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He said Purdy was better than Pickett only because of the system, players around him, run game, oline etc.. ok than what was the problem yesterday?

13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    and I was right. The hit on his elbow and arm was the type with the movement to cause that type of injury.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Even if you "correctly" diagnosed the injury before it was reported, you still stated as a fact that he was getting Tommy John surgery. That statement is false. Every single article I read said that he was out for at least 6 months and was getting surgery but was getting a second opinion to determine the severity of the surgery needed.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What does that have to go with Josh Johnson? Answer: Nothing.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really don't understand the problem with small sample sizes, do you? Your logic is as flawed as your spelling/typing.

You have once again proven that you are happy to abandon all logic and reason in the pursuit of your chosen narrative, in this case, your poor assumptions about Pickett. It is the same poor judgment that led you to base your argument on the opinion of J.T. O'Sullivan while ignoring the analysis of experts such as Kurt Warner.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I already explained this to you, but apparently, you need a SparkNotes translation.

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Is the TSF-MD giving physicals?

Guess not. Should have read further

Oh well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    My man I just read the MRI diagnosed a UCL tear, which is repaired by Tommy John surgery. Of course he will seek multiple opinions hoping for a different diagnosis, but the only way that injury is repaired is through Tommy John surgery from everything that I have read about a UCL tear. Also, I didn't state "as fact" he is getting, I said he needs. So if you want to be argumentative, get your facts straight.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It means SF will now have to keep both of them next year as nobody is going to be offering much for Purdy now.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Steelers have a better chance winning a Super Bowl with Pickett... than Ravens do with LJ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Pickett should be in the afc championship next yr then.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't because regardless if Johnson socks or not if all those things made Purdy they should make Johnson too. He shouldn't look leagues better than Johnson if all those factors is why he's good.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Idek who j.t osullivan is so what I said about Pickett had nothing to do with it. It was about all those teams passing on him that needed qbs. It was about it being a debate whether he was even the best qb in the draft. It's about him possessing no special qualities, having a really solid core around him, being lauded for being so pro ready, and finishing with the numbers he had. He barely was throwing for 200 yards in this pass happy nfl. Time will continue to tell on Pickett lol. He better be pro bowl, all pro, etc.. all this next yr if he's what all of you hear claim he is.