1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DL prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 23, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Spillane did alright against the run at the end of last season, but if he's the starter next season teams will exploit him in coverage.

2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    lol

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wasn't that big fella from Georgia last year that Philadelphia took all the rage? No it hasn't changed this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Hence why our drafted Linebacker has to be a coverage demon. There are 3 or 4 of those in the draft. Get one of them

5. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I guess you saw it differently. It's all good. We see what we see.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We shouldn't expect to go into next season with Spillane as a starter and expect things to be any different. We will continue to be very streaky against the run due to below par LB play. Spillane is a fine enough player, but a guy that is a back up on a good team. He is average in run defense and (despite our coaches insistence on having him out there for passing downs) a liability in coverage. He knows his responsibilities and that is about it. I'd be pretty disappointed if Robinson couldn't pass him by.

We should be going into next season with Jack and a FA/Rookie as starters with Robinson working in as our primary back up and getting some snap count. This season should determine if Robinson is the starter in 2024 after Jack's contract expires at the end of this season. I'd be fine if they retained Spillane to be a dependable LB 3/4 but I would not be very optimistic about our LB room if Spillane is seen as a 2b or 2/3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Trevon Walker?

EDIT: Nevermind, you mean Jordan Davis.

Jordan Davis is NOT some big fat NT, he is 6-6, 336. So he is exactly what a modern DT is. Strong and Quick off the line.

8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I would say that Watt and Highsmith are better LBs than Spillane, that is why I laughed.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    That is him. We shall see,Seems like Big Snack / Natta did pretty well
    For their careers as big fat men!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea those hybrid lbs are tearing it up just like those 275 dl l.this is too funny.
    Those big OL throw them around like rag dolls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That was 20 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    These OL still throw these light weights around today. They don't work.Why do you think Ray Lewis was so good? He had Natgta eating up OL so he could run freeI.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Who said anything about 275 pound lineman? I said strong, quick, fast. Most of these guys are leaner.

Hampton was 6-1, 325 (Who was probably closer to 375). The age of the fat NT are gone. The NT position is all but extinct.

Aaron Donald 6-1, 284
    Chris Jones 6-6, 311
    Jeff Simmons 6-4, 305
    Quinine Williams 6-3, 302
    Dexter Lawrence 6-4, 342
    Cam Heyward 6-5, 295
    Christian Wilins 6-4, 311
    Al Woods 6-4, 331
    Jordan Davis 6-6, 335

These are the top DT in the NFL, none of these guys are getting "thrown around"

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What light weights? I never once said 275-pound lightweight. I said strong, fast, and quick.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Looking around the League you notice that most NTs are over 330, that is about 20 pounds heavier than their DT counterpart.

Putting a beast in the middle at the line of scrimmage is huge for the way the Steelers play the 3-4 and 3-3-5. It keep the O-Lineman off our smaller ILB. We don't have an MLB that can both take on an O-Lineman and make the tackle, we found that out in 2020.

Both the Bengals and Ravens feature NTs who are over the 330 pound mark. You put a player like Vita Vea up front and watch how much our ILBs improve. I know last year I was drooling over Jordan Davis in the draft. I also thought we had a shot at Travis Jones in the 3rd round and it was a disappointment seeing him go to the Ravens last year.

These are the teams that run the 3-4 according to Wiki last year.
    As of 2022, NFL teams that regularly incorporate the 3–4 defensive alignment scheme as a base include the Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Rams, Los Angeles Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Atlanta Falcons, New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars and Arizona Cardinals.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Mazi is NOT one of the players who the Steelers schedule one of their interviews with, then you will know the Steelers are taking a hard pass on the guy.

If the Steelers sit down with Mazi and let him explain himself, then you know that he has a chance come draft day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I do not think we are understanding each other.

Weight doesn’t not mean strength.

When I say the end of the fat NT it does not mean guys do not weight 330 on the line.

The difference is Speed and Quickness.

Instead of lineman being 6-1 350 they are 6-4+ weighting 330. They are fast, they are strong, they are quick. The days of a big guy just taking up space are no more.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, and I disagree.
    Just because the schemes are run differently is why they are out....not because they can't be of any help. The reason it changed is because people got away from running as much, and passing more, but it could all change back. If You have watched football long enough (I'm not saying you haven't)....but everything seems to go in cycles.
    We actually got a way from it....because NE would go games against us when they would not run on us, and only throw. So...:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    What about Lukas Van Ness. I know he is around 275. If you pack 20lbs on him he is a perfect 5 tech.

20. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t know I wasn’t that impressed with Jack. If we retain him I hope we get him to take a pay cut so we can use that money elsewhere. I think Ogunjobi was overrated as well. He didn’t;t produce many splash plays and he was injured a bit too. I would love for us to go after Deron Payne. I think with the style of defense we play and what we ask our ILB’s to do we need bigger defensive lineman to protect them. You look at Philadelphia they have massive people in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Their linebackers are smaller and athletic. If we want the athletic ILB’s for coverage then we need the horses in front of them to keep them clean and quite frankly to stop the run as the ILB’s first responsibility is the pass.

We either do that or go to a true 4-3 defense. Having 3 ILB’s or a hybrid safety in the box allows us to cover more ground in the passing game. The other thing is if we actually got left outside corners to match up one on one that would free up Minkah to come down into the box and really help the ILB’s.

Right now our whole defense is predicated on getting to the QB. If we don’t get to the QB quickly we don’t have the horses on the back end to cover for a very long time.

21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd like to see them consider zach harrison as well. long friggin arms. near 3 feet. 275 but runs like a deer. (4.41) pack 10 on him and he could be a force. da beard was around 285 and did just fine. :cool:

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The game is just different. It relies too much on speed for slow space-eater types to get much of a role. Sure, they can still be useful. But those types of guys are going to have a hard time in today's NFL getting more than 50% snap count. Then it just boils down to the investment you are willing to make for a guy there. Is it smart to spend pick 32 or 49 on a guy that will likely play half or less of the defensive snaps? Will he help enough in those snaps to make the investment worth while? Guys that are 6'3"-6'4" and weigh 330 aren't necessarily space eaters. Those guys can move a lot of the time. Its just a different play style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Ah right! Got me there. I meant inside linebackers. But you are right I misspoke. I consider Watts and Highsmith Edge rushers. But in reality they are linebackers. My bad :)

• Like Like x 1