1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Season Predictions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I sure hope not :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think Porter will be there, but if he is there I can definitely see the Steelers taking him.

Speaking of a Tomlin/Porter story. Is this even remotely true?

Joey Porter And Mike Tomlin Are Bad Sports Parents (deadspin.com)
    Joey Porter And Mike Tomlin Are Bad Sports Parents
    By Kevin Draper

PublishedJanuary 30, 2017

Every sports league has obnoxious parents that holler at referees, coaches and players; rarely are those parents coaches of the nearby professional football team. But at Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School in Cranberry Township, Penn., the obnoxious parents were Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and his linebackers coach, Joey Porter.

Former Steeler Jason Gildon was school’s head football coach until he was fired in December, which the Indiana Gazette reports prompted Tomlin’s son and Porter’s son and nephew to transfer from the school. But before they did, Tomlin, and especially Porter, seemed to be just the worst football parents.

During a game at Riverside in October, Porter ran onto the field to badger the officials. Remember, he’s a Steelers assistant coach and only a North Catholic parent.

North Catholic was penalized 15 yards and the officials asked the North Sewickley police to remove Porter. According to eyewitnesses, Porter told the cops, “If you want me to leave it’s gonna take more than just you.”

The officers working the game had to call for extra help.

Porter finally calmed down when the referee threatened North Catholic with a forfeit.

A North Sewickley police spokesperson confirmed this account, including the fact that Porter told police “if you want me to leave it’s gonna take more than just you,” before officers were able to calm him down and get him to leave. But apparently this wasn’t the only time police got involved with Porter at a high school football game!

Mike Tomlin was also at the game, but not involved in the disturbance. But Tomlin did, on at least one occasion, according to a witness, pay a visit to the North Catholic locker room and drop multiple F-bombs while trashing the officials.

And during a home game at J.C. Stone Field, Tomlin and Porter were less than cooperative with Allegheny County police when they were asked to move away from a fence where they were obstructing the view of some fans.

The game ended before the cops had to remove them.

Getting the cops called on you because you won’t move away from a fence? Guys, c’mon.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015

They won't bring in Kingsbury, IMO. He knows nothing but the air raid offense and I don't see Tomlin heading in that direction with Pickett. Plus he's literally sitting on a Thai beach with his model girlfriend and a massive contract buyout.

If they bring in anyone, it will be Leftwich.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

they like spillane. in 9 out of 17 games he played over half the defensive snaps. the last 4 games and 5 total he played 100% of them. another he played 71% of them. mark robinson was getting field time at the end as well. the next to last game he had 50% of the defensive snaps. if jack is kept, he and spillane should start and i would figure robinson would become the new spillane for us. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I looked

:drinks:

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Only works if the high pic rookie is working his way into the lineup

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    cheers sir

8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Maybe Jalen Ramsey happens.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I've already seen an article or two about the Steelers trading for him. Complete speculation, of course. He'll be 29 next season and still costs a lot. I'd do it if the ask isn't too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    How could anyone possibly live on 12m a year?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I watched him real close when they played the Bengals. Thought he would of played better and didn't make big plays. He is better then anybody we have but not a difference maker like Roquan Smith of the Ravens or White of the Bucs. I also think we could do just as good if we pass on him and find a ILB in the draft.

• Like Like x 3
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agreed. Burrow had a lot of fun burning him this past weekend.

Spillane and Jack will be the starting ILBers with Robinson being the swing. Fashion Plate will be elsewhere.

Terrell Edmonds and Kazee will be back.

Sutton will resign.

They will dangle Dropsies out for picks.

They will bring in a vet wide receiver.

Left tackle 17th. Receiver 32. Defensive Tackle 49. Inside Linebacker 80. Outside Linebacker 119.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah agreed. Our OL is getting better but they definitely aren't dominant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He wouldnt be the OC though but he has a much better grasp on route concepts and would be designing a passing attack around Canadas scheme.

Stipulation with those contracts is he has to make an effort to get another coaching job, he can’t just sit in Thailand for a year and be paid and the longer he is there the more those jobs will dry up.

It’s not very likely he will be on the coaching staff but if it unfolds the way I described with not many options available, it’s possible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It always takes me an hour to read your posts...

I'd add to it that I really haven't seen consistent play out of him.
    I'm really hoping to find a CB in Free Agency where the cost is only money.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Problem with that is.....price, and cap against the team.
    Look at it this way....The Bills just had to have Diggs, and not only traded a 1st round for Him ,but gave a new contract....now that contract is coming up in a big way, but look at the Wrs they could have got in that draft if they didn't trade away that draft pick...Justin Jefferson, J. Jeudy, CD. Lamb, H. Ruggs, and T. Higgins . Looks like a terrible decision by the Bills, and will cost them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Diggs was a sure thing. Draft picks aren't sure things. Also, that they could have gotten Ruggs wouldn't have been a good thing for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They went for it and failed. The Allen, Diggs, and Miller contracts are going to kill them. They'll still be a good team but I think that window just closed. The Rams really got lucky last year building the way they did.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Love the predictions. I would say in bold predictions for me that we make a surprise trade on draft day. Either up from 17 to get a top end guy that we love or up from 32 back into the first. Just a gut feeling that Khan will be a bit more aggressive than we’ve been in the past. I also think there’s a good shot we like Ogunjobi enough to sign him long term (3 years+). We’d have a nice rotation and could push Heyward’s replacement in the draft down a couple years.

I agree that we will make a splash signing in FA. Either at CB or ILB (would love Edmunds). Keep Ogunjobi, Sutton, Spillane, Edmunds, Kazee.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We don’t need him to be Roquan Smith (and we won’t be paying him like that). We just need someone who can stop the run, be capable in coverage, and be where he’s supposed to be all the time. Tremaine can do that and I think that’s just what we need.

Watt and Minkah are big plays waiting to happen at any given moment. I think that 11 million dollars a year would shore us up and open them up to make even more big plays

21. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If we do bring in somebody as a consultant/senior assistant, they could very well be the next OC. That's been Tomlin's recent MO.

I think it will be Leftwich. Management "knows" him. He runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well eventually social security sets in

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or they could sign a better ILB than Spillane in free agency, or draft one who is better in coverage :shrug:.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds will probably get more than 11 million per year in free agency, let some other team overpay him.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ramsey has been getting beat the last two seasons, I doubt the Steelers would be interested in him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1