1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

need a strong center

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by francobettis, Dec 11, 2022.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Mason Cole has done a decent job this season, but I want a dominate center.
    John Michael Schmitz of Minnesota seems like a good fit in Black&Gold. I've seen some of the highlights and he looks really good in the run game. He reminds me of Mike Webster, but much bigger. I hope we pick him up with one of the 2nd round picks we have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get your big board together, but if I am not mistaken we may have 6 picks
    in the top 100. Boy if 4 of these could make an impact? Plus be pro active in FA
    maybe we can keep improving this roster? I hope we draft aggressive players that want
    to play physical football.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Unless we've traded someone else, we have 1 1st, 2 seconds, 1 3rd, and 1 4th. the first pick of the 4th round is #100. So only 4. 5 in the first 110, most likely.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i still think we could move mason cole to guard and i could get with drafting a center. schmitz may be a good one but i also like the kid from the hogs.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Ricky-Stromberg-OL-Arkansas

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like Him also, but....one I'm a Razorback, and two...I always want Defense 1st. LoL

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like that your defense first. We should hammer drafting defense this year :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    To the OP:

I get what you’re saying but there are at least 4 other positions (maybe 5) that I would draft before a C. CB, ILB, OT, OG (DL).

If Cole moves to guard then maybe it would be fine, but it seems like they like Cole at C (maybe he’s just better at C). I don’t know much about any of the C prospects this year, but if we get another Pouncey I wouldn’t hate it. I’d just prefer a Sauce Gardiner clone at CB or a Ryan Shazier clone at ILB

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Check this out. It shows the top 10 offensive lineman in football. No Steeler Tackle made it, but 1 Guard and 1 Center were considered to be in the top 10.
    2 Steelers OL rank among best in pass-rush win rate for 2022 (usatoday.com)
    upload_2023-1-15_20-28-28.png

I would rather spend the pick on a tackle and keep Mason Cole at Center for the next 2 years. More interested to see if Dan Moore can play Guard, rather than seeing if Mason Cole can play guard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mason cole can play guard and has. add the best center in the draft and you have upgraded two spots. not only in the passing game but the run game. :cool:

10. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    If we went Torrence at 33 and Scmidtz at 49, we just improved to a top 10 line (within 2 years).

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We passed on Creed Humphrey 2 years ago, that was the time we should have drafted our franchise center. Not draft a kid who had played guard his entire career and asked him to play center. Now you are wanting to take one of our best offensive lineman who plays center and move him to guard.

If you want a Tackle draft a tackle. If you want a guard draft a guard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=28b2...MjByZXBvcnRzJTIwaGF2ZSUyMGludGltYXRlZC4&ntb=1

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=abc2...tb2ZmZW5zaXZlLWxpbmVtYW4tbWFzb24tY29sZQ&ntb=1

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=aa59...Wd1YXJkLXRyYWRlLWRyYWZ0LWZyZWUtYWdlbmN5&ntb=1

he has played guard. he played left tackle as well in college. the guy has brains which at left guard we are lacking it seems. we run the outside zone scheme they are talking about. he's very mobile. he can play any of the interior positions. schmitz is a stud at center. daniels is a stud at the right guard position. seal up the interior and have mobility in the run game with these 3 and it will go a long way to fixing the line. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Our T play has been bottom tier. OT is at the top of my draft wish list followed by ILB, DL, DB. Of course we'll probably end up with 3 WRs and a late round QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm hoping they keep trent scott as the backup tackle. in preseason last year he played well. he knows pat meyer's system too. i'm not quite done with dan moore yet and if they can get a better guard next to him (cole is my vote) then i believe it will help fix that side of the line. green is who i would cut but i doubt they will. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Dan Moore just feels like a RT playing LT. He does some things very well, but struggles against a certain type of athlete on the edge in pass protection. I would love to shore up the LG position too, as Dotson has been ok but we have the capital to get someone at that position that can put us over the top. Skoronski is a LG option at 17. While there are a few other guys (Torrence, Vorhees) that could be an option there a bit later as well. I don't think the Steelers are seriously considering taking a C and they are right to think that. We have a good young C. Yes, he CAN play LG, but his best ball has been as a C. We should try to keep him there if possible and address the LG position separately from moving someone's position.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think year 3, will be better for Moore. Just as Okrafor has gotten better in his 3rd as a starter. They tried him at RT and he couldn't play there. He's best at LT. I like what Meyer has done and expect them to get better under him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Green was a mistake, but it is important to remember that it wasn't a choice of Humphrey or Green, who went in the third round. It was a choice of Humphrey or Freiermuth, so their choice makes a little more sense. I would still rather have Humphrey, but it seems a little more reasonable.

They had a chance to get a solid center the year before, too, but they chose McFarland over Biadasz. That one really hurt.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is driving me crazy I can't figure out how old Luke Wypler is. Ohio State Center. I have searched Google and Wiki's site fails to list his age.

Wypler declared a year early for the draft, so I am trying to figure out how much younger he is than 5th year senior JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ.

Most sites show them as #1 and #2 centers. Same site Schmitz DOB published; Wypler DOB not.
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Luke-Wypler-OL-OhioState
    https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/JohnMichael-Schmitz-OL-Minnesota

Luke Wypler Ohio State Stats
    Wypler has played three years at Ohio State and has some impressive stats. In his three years, he has only given up 1 QB hit and no sacks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  19. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I thought you just hadn't looked hard enough, and dang it, you're right. Even his wikipedia page says born "2000/2001".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I know it is hilarious; there is not a single site out there that lists his real date of birth.

I am assuming he will need to present a birth certificate at the NFL Combine or some other legal form of ID.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks hasn't been as bad as fans make him out to be, you rarely hear his name called during the game unlike Dotson and Moore, they should look for a LT and a guy who can play guard/center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I actually agree with you. First time for everything, I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1