1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hate to say it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jan 2, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-wins-by-a-rookie-qb-in-there-first-season

This may be the list you're looking for. Dak Prescott and Ben are tied for the most wins as a rookie at 13. Dak played all 16 games. Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco all started 16 games their rookie year and each won 11.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s a Christmas miracle @jeh1856
    Looks like you’re off ignore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    I love this freaking board. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I noticed that

Probably because of my recent good behavior

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Always, I love learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It also could be a case where talent wasn't an issue at all. The real issue could have been a rung and/or 2 above that...

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The Steelers over/under for wins in 2022 was 7 on Draftkings. I think they were being generous. If the Steelers go 9-8 and miss the playoffs, they have outplayed expectations.
    No one, absolutely no one, expected the Steelers to be in playoff contention this year.
    No one, absolutely no one, expected the Steelers to be in playoff contention last year.
    No one, absolutely no one, expected the Steelers to be in playoff contention after Ben got hurt in 2019.
    If your only qualification for Tomlin is "we win the Super Bowl or he sucks/should be replaced", maybe you should stick to Scrabble.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That speaks volumes about the coach.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Spoken like a true Tomlin Apologist. Good job. Not sure why you felt the need to put sh!t in quotes that I didn't write. Maybe you should stick to a third grade reading comprehension guide.

10. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    See, you could have been creative there. Like, that speaks valium's about the coach. Or, valium's speak that about the coach.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's your process or something, it's not mine.
    From 1992-1996 I owned and operated an actual traveling dog and pony show. :stogie:

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin should get the criticism for going 2-6 before things turned around. Shouldn’t really get any awards for fixing his own **** up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Based off his posts I’m not so sure you wanna see those pictures.

15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    True dat.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It makes my eyes rain to look in those boxes of regret but I'll see what I can do.

17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i would hold off on that until we make the playoffs and then get the upset over the 2nd seed,

then we're talking

18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    they need to start with good coordinators - and they don't have a strong staff. Actually smallest and lowest paid in the league. That doesn't work well with a coach like Tomlin, who needs support. And i think that's a big reason why we fall short. It might work well with a more detail oriented teaching coach like Noll, but not Tomlin. the Steelers FO needs to really change the way they put a staff together.

(This recent winning streak seems to be due primarily to the improvement of the line and KP and we've been playing bad to average teams - i'm not giving too much credit to Tomlin or Canada).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Tomlin is a bit of an enigma among the fan base.
    His job is to ramrod the team. He has OC's and DC's as his generals and they have their subordinates.
    The QB and Coach are two spots that get the most blame and unfortunately, are the easiest and laziest way to place blame.
    Sometimes though, there is fire where this is smoke.

One just has to look at the history of Washington, Oakland and Atlanta to see how franchises fail at picking head coaches.
    Coaches like Norv Turner (a personal friend and great guy), Dick Jouron trashed multiple teams.
    Other coaches like the esteemed Rod Marinelli actually couldn't even win a single game.
    Steve Spurrier is tied with Jim Zorn as to being most incompetent Head Coaches I've ever witnessed personally.
    Who picks those guys? (Rhetorical)

Tomlin has managed to be competitive 15 years and his 16th has him looking at the playoffs as a long shot.
    Some people say the Steelers could be tough if they get in.
    He had to step out of the box and find a QB after having HoF Ben.. some teams never recover from such a loss, but Pickett is making it tough for critiques.

16 years is an eternity as an NFL Head Coach.
    Tomlin is nowhere near the likes of the aforementioned.
    It is a tough proposition to cut ties with such a guy and dip one's toes into the pool where Bruce Coslet's Frank Kush's, Tom Cable's swim.
    Finding a Bill Cowher, Chuck Noll is not easy.
    I am more in line with our GM working with Tomlin and identifying an OC that can really spark this offense. Such a choice may actually turn out to be the next HC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlins biggest weakness is his ego, he is a control freak. If he would just hire competent coordinators and let them run their schemes with the normal input of a coach of course, I think this team could be top tier.

The best staff was when we had LeBeau and Haley. Munch may have even been part of that for one year before LeBeau left.

Now he just brings in toothless people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think that's where the 'front office' has to say something. The goal is to win.
    But yeah, Canada isn't seen as a guru and I am a little skeptical of Austin.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I do like the Flores hire. Wonder if they plan on moving him to DC eventually.

Some may say he will get a HC offer again but who knows when that will be. I imagine he is still toxic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This.

I'm not for or against him at this current moment. He's done an admirable job getting this squad back to possible contention.

But... why is it:

2-6 -> "It's the players!"
    6-2 -> "It's the coach!"

Can't have it both ways. The COTY talk is just silliness.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I tried to weasel in the workings of that once. What his role actually is, how much input.
    The Steelers are tight lipped.
    I do know that he is getting the most out of Spillane.

I don't know if teams will still look at him, I think you are right. (and I have no idea where his legal suite is)

• Like Like x 2
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's harsh, but:lollmao:.