1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Spillane led the Steelers in tackles again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Is this because he has a motor in him or are because they targeting him because he is the weakest point of attack?
    I honestly want your opinions because I can’t watch the games down here in my jungle home. I follow them by watching the game thread and reading updates online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has played above the line and I feel will be retained.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    He doesn't have speed, but he's maximizing his potential with what he has. He can't man to man cover tight ends or backs, and is often late getting to the sides, but he does his job in zone and cutting off angles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Spillane has a lot of heart which he needs to make up for his lack of talent. I like the kid. He made some very key stops last night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    With all the Spillane haters I’ve seen here, I thought there’d be more posts. Wonder where they all went?

• Like Like x 2
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Robert Spillane- he was a ST ace, backup LB who made dirty Red expendable.

1- He is limited athletically, means he not fast so covering on passing downs is his weakness.
    2- He is a solid tackler. When he gets there he rarely misses on tackles
    3- In the off-season he asked the staff to give him tape on EVERY ILB in the NFL so he could study them.
    4- He’s Probably our Smartest Defensive Player, he wears the green dot and makes all the defensive calls.
    4a- while he isn’t the fastest LB he seems to diagnose the play very quickly which makes him PLAY Fast.
    5- He has had to work for every snap he’s ever been given so he probably outworks and outstudies the other ILBers. Bush, A highly touted High 1st rd draft pick in yr 4 has now been rarely seen on the field, snaps really reduced. Robinson had snaps over him. Sad, Bush had God given Football talent but seemingly not the best work ethic. Hard work, Studies and Heart will take you far in Life despite the hand you were given dealt.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately we haven't seen this. And all the pomp and circumstance trading up to get him is now a cesspool. A mistake was made and now its time to turn the page.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    As well as the Pickett haters :hehehe:

• Like Like x 3
  9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks, now I got that Bob Seger song stuck in my Head!!!!!!!

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    This is good, and what I wanted to read. To me one interesting thing about football is the ones who can’t miss but do, and the ones who somehow play way above their ability. My favorite players are in the second group. James Harrison created himself as a player, was Defensive Player of the Year after bouncing around a lot. Anyone remember Jerry Rice having an unimpressive combine, and being the third wide receiver picked? And to a much much lesser extent, B.J. Finney had to prove himself on every level and went on to some kind of NFL career. At least with Rice and Harrison, the common thread seems to be the work ethic of a maniac. I don’t know about Finney.
    I have Finney’s locker nametag on my wall.
    You gotta love the Spillanes of the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He is much approved. I think his development has peaked because of the snaps he is getting. I for one am shocked he is doing as well as he is but it seems like he is not as bad as we thought. As others have pointed out he makes up for his lack of speed with smarts. He is quick to make reads and is a sure tackler. Great on the run but not so much with passing game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Great song live version

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m not a Spillane fan, but he had a very good game last night. The style of play really suited him and his reads were solid. Against a heavy passing attack, he struggles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    He's got a little bit of Larry Foote in him. Neither are the most physically gifted LBers, but both have heart to overcome the odds. Both are reliable and both supplanted highly touted draft picks to become starters. I'm glad Spillane is doing well, he deserves it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Spillane has been our best ILB all season. He's not great in coverage but he's improved. The ability he has to read plays and react helps to compensate for the lack of athleticism.

I will say that his growth this season has been surprising and I wonder if the new LB coach has something to do with that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Is there really discussion on this board as to whether the Steelers will resign their most productive inside LB? Did people watch the game yesterday?
    He wasn’t just making solid tackles after a 5 yard run. Spillane was doing it all against the run and pass and he was making big plays happen on defense. Spillane was a major difference maker yesterday, and the most consistent over the course of the game.
    His ability to read a running play and get the correct hole is really good, probably from all the film study. But he also has more natural ability than people give him credit for. It’s not just hard work. He is also a very good athlete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    You don’t play in the NFL without being a good athlete. He could outperform 95% of us fans…….. Thing is when he is compared to other LBers who hang with most college WR and RB in a foot race it shows his limitations.

I’m a fan and have been for a while. Really happy to see him wearing that green dot.

Cajun

18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Bush is drastically different from his rookie year to the last few years. That knee injury may have ended his career. He looks like he drags his injured leg now. Huge difference from when you see him making plays his rookie year. You can see the difference if you see footage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but what ILB/MLB do we have that doesn't struggle in the passing game??? On top of that a SS that covers about one pass every 7 thrown at Him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Mark Robinson did well in his first significant game action, making 7 tackles that was right behind Spillane and Minkah.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    7th round pick who may end up being a starter in the middle, pretty nuts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Spillane is needed because Jack isn't healthy, and the Steelers have been playing teams that run the ball a lot, just keep him out of coverage :rolleyes:.

23. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I put in another thread also, but I believe Tae Crowder will be in the 2023 mix for ILB.

24. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Something I’m struggling with right now, what’s the higher priority, an ILB or SS , must be able to play against the pass. I’m leaning towards a better SS with cover skills.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Believe Me I'm doing the same. :thumbs_up:
    I also am leaning towards SS.