1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlins terrible decisions could ruin Picketts development. 0-4 as starter?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 4, 2022.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Joe Biden and his handlers are Pieces O Sh!t!

there now the mods can kill this thread hahahaha

dobbler-33
    This message by dobbler-33 has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I don’t know pickett’s development getting impacted, but the whole QB decisions were pretty freaking stupid and knee-jerky. Hard to argue that fact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah but the standard is the standard. There, back on track. Thread stays open.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    Tomlin could have handled the entire off-season better with the QB situation. Everyone knew that whatever QB it was that QB was going to be a bridge to the next franchise QB. At this point the team should just go with Pickett to find out if he will be the guy or a bridge... The little faith I have in Tomlin, no coach should take coaching advice from media and fans.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions as a rookie, and Troy Aikman went 1-15, did the fans and media turn on them :shrug:?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BAMASteeler

Sep 26, 2022
    I would say no they did not and IMO Pickett has his first contract to prove he is a franchise guy. What will he be at the end of this contract? 28 years old...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree that they should've started Pickett against the Jets, they had 10 days to get him ready.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I wish he’d listen to anybody but himself. He makes nothing but terrible decisions. Look at the wasted draft picks over the years and the status of our o-line and defense. Look at our coaching staff. Look at his challenge record. Look how he handled Dobbs, Mason, and now Mitch/Pickett. Even his son had to transfer colleges. He couldn’t stumble into a correct decision if his life depended on it.

Different era with no social media. Now you get labeled a loser and anytime you get on your phone you have to see it and be reminded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Pickett let's social media get to him, then he isn't the guy for the job, the only QB that let's that crap get to him is Baker Mayfield.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BAMASteeler

Sep 26, 2022
    LoL I can't disagree with you on Tomlin...

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This isn’t the 80s or 90s. Media got to Ben at times and he doesn’t even use social media. It gets to everybody. He goes 0-4 it’s going to get ugly. Going to be a long offseason. Then a lot riding on next year.

12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    damn and here I thought otherwise! All good deeds go in fact punished green font shmeem font! Hope y’all have a great night

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed

But still better than the last Piece O Sh!t

If that helps your cause ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Mango Jesus. :emperor:

15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    The pocket book and things in general disagree but such is life.

Many a slip between a hair and somewhat truthful sarcasm these days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I’ll just drink a beer to your good health

• Like Like x 1
  17. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    likewise amigo. Cheers

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh yeah, definitely trolling, but I still think with a helping of wanting approval for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Why? I predicted this dumpster fire YEARS ago. Nobody wants to listen and it's not a popular opinion at the time so I get hate. Just look at my Kendrick Green thread. I lay out a lot of solid evidence.. Guard who only played 2 games at center in college. Starting/basically learning the position in the pros. Not to mention his highlight tape in college wasn't all that. Oh I'm stupid, trolling, hater, etc. "He's going to be a HoFer" LOL Now look at him... Not even playing. All of this is just a microcosm of the real issue I've been banging for YEARS. Tomlin isn't a XO coach. He's not good at evaluating or developing talent. How can I prove this? He was a DB/defensive coach and we haven't drafted and developed ONE pro bowl DB under Tomlin. We have to get all our good DBs from other teams. You could argue it's what cost us Super Bowls with the 3bs. Tomlin makes bad decisions... Just look at our coaching staff and coordinators. Matt Canada from.... Maryland. Starting Mitch in the Jets game. He got booed the 1st home game. Anybody with a brain could've predicted what happened. I did 10 days before it happened. Tomlin only strengths is motivating men and he gives good interviews. That's why it worked his early years. He had a solid roster with HoF players and a HoF GM handing him talent. All he had to do was motivate them and it worked. But over the years, Tomlin buys into the hype and wants more and more say. Coaches, Draft, etc. You can tell when Tomlin started getting more involved in the drafts. Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Edmunds, etc. Now without Ben and Colbert it's going to get real ugly.

So I've learned over the years make threads and remind you idiots I was right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you need to re-read. I've been over the Tomlin experiment for years and think he's too soft on players, and too laid back to be coaching. So I'm with you on Tomlin's shortcomings, and I've felt that way for years. That doesn't make someone an idiot. But constantly saying "i was right i was right i was right" to try to make yourself feel better because some people don't agree with you does.

• Like Like x 5
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think starting 0-4 as a starter (not necessarily unlikely, but also not super likely either as NFL teams lose to teams worse than them all the time) will hinder Pickett at all. Peyton Manning started his career 3-13 (26 TD, 28 INT) and look what that got him? 13-3 in year 2. This is a development year for Kenny. Get out there, learn the speed of the game, progress as a passer, decision maker, leader. Winning will come (heck, it might come pretty quickly... you never know).

The fact of the matter is, the difference between 6-11 and 11-6 hinges on the outcome of about 10-12 total plays over the season. Sutton catches a pretty easy INT or Friermuth catches the sideline ball? Win. Olszewski doesn't muff a punt? Win. Cincy's LS doesn't get hurt (resulting in a blocked kick and missed FG)? Loss. That's 5 plays that determined the outcomes of 3 games. Sure there are other plays that can play a part, but realistically the gap between playoffs and top 12 pick is miniscule in this league. There's a reason why the playoffs are a revolving door of new teams for the most part on a year to year basis aside from a couple perennial top teams. Waiting an additional week to start Kenny will likely have 0 impact on his development or his perception league and media wide.

• Like Like x 2
  22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I can't wait for every interception he throws to be completely overanalyzed like the first 3 were.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some did turn on both of those guys. The Cowboys weren't even fully committed to Aikman. They took Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft and they competed for the starting job in Dallas.

It would be stupid for fans to turn on Pickett if the team loses the next four. The defense is a mess and that is a brutal stretch. Intelligent fans will judge Picket by what he does and the things he can control, not what the entire team does. Of course, some fans will be stupid about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's different times than when Peyton played. This is the social media era. He goes 0-4 people in Pittsburgh will start to turn on him. He will get labeled a loser. It will be all the talking points on the sports shows. Every time he turns on his tv or phone he will have to see it. Very few have been able to overcome that. Look at Rudolph.. 5-4-1 as starter and the majority consensus is he sucks. Pickett is going to need a miracle for that record.

You're right, a few plays decide the season. Decisions decide the season and can impact player development. James Washington jumps for a ball on the sidelines. Ben calls him out. He's never the same or pans out. Sammie Coates has the game of his life. Injures his thumb. Plays injured and is never the same. We drafted a guard and tried to convert him to center and now he's playing neither and on the bench.

What happened Sunday was so predictable to everybody but Tomlin. I made the thread 10 days before. Mitch was booed at home in the 1st game and chants of Pickett. After 3 games of game manager Mitch it was so predictable. The crowd wanted Pickett. If he starts the Jets game I think we win. Just look what it did for the team. Pickens is on the sidelines hyping the crowd up instead of complaining about being wide open and not getting the ball. Mitch wasn't inspiring anybody on the team or fans. The whole narrative this week would've been different. Maybe the Steelers can steal the game. We wouldn't be 14 point underdogs. Maybe we could steal a game or two in the next 4. Our season wouldn't have been over.

In typical Tomlin fashion he botched the whole thing. Gives Mitch 10 days with the 1s. Just to get booed out the stadium. Gives Pickett 10 minutes to get ready. Got the crowd going crazy and making noise while the offense is out. That's avoided if Pickett starts because they would've announced the offense. Too scared to do that because they knew Mitch would get booed.

Like I said it was "season defining" Winning the Jets game and riding the momentum. Good decisions from Tomlin could've got Pickett in the right direction. Instead terrible decisions and brutal 4 game stretch is setting him up for failure.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not necessarily that different. Local media has always been very involved in criticisms of players, social media has just made it more public. The people in Pittsburgh love Kenny Pickett. He went to Pitt, is a rookie, is beloved by the media and fanbase alike (they have chanted his name on numerous occasions). I doubt they give the kid 4 games before turning on him. If KP cant handle being called out by the media or TV talking heads than he will never make it even in the most sheltered/perfect situation.

Decisions do impact player development. James Washington didn't suck bc Ben called him out once. If you can't mentally handle criticism of any kind, then you'll never pan out as a professional athlete. If that affected him in that manner, then no wonder he didn't pan out. Injuries are different things altogether, so I wont comment on Coates' situation. People change positions on the interior OL all the time. Playing Green at center didn't stunt his growth. He is a bad player bc he is bad. Not because we stuck him at center. Did he get thrust into a bad situation? Yeah. Does that mean he will be a failure forever bc of that decision. No.

Winning or losing the Jets game has literally 0 impact on the outcome of future games and neither does the point spread.

Kenny isn't being set up to fail bc he didn't start the Jets game. He is being put in a position to learn, lead, and improve. Ultimately he will need to win, but tons of young QB's start for teams that wont win a lot of games (and a number of those young QB's end up being good). Just because he isn't being sheltered, doesn't mean he is being set up to fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1