1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Season defining - Pickett must start next game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 23, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Well 40 time doesn't define quickness. It defines speed. Ab ran only a 4.48 but was maybe in his prime the quickest guy at the position.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who are these “better” vets who were out there? It was super slim pickings.

3. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Take a look at the FA list from the offseason and take your pick. Brissett, Foles, Dalton and Bridgewater all seemed like better options. Mariotta has a 90 QBR so far, higher than Mitch's 78

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/quarterback/all/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kordell was terrible in that game going 13-31 for 134 yards 0 TD and 1 int. He did run for a TD though in a 7-6 win. In one playoff game against the Patriots he was 0-10 passing. That isn't a misprint, he didn't complete a pass.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Could have traded for Jimmy g for one.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He ran a 4.57 at the combine, and that's the only time that matters, but yes ....He played faster than that.

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    All failed starters who were allowed to leave their first teams, and in some cases multiple teams, with no effort by the team to retain them. Just like Trubisky. Mariota’s passer rating is 85.4 and he’s thrown 3 interceptions (vs. Mitch’s 1). He also hadn’t started a game at QB since 2019 before this season, and had an injury history, so there was quite a bit of risk in signing him. Brissett has looked better than Mitch so far this season, but his career up until this year has been underwhelming. The last time he was a serviceable starter was 2019. Also this season he has had the benefit of a great rushing attack. Mitch has certainly not. Bridgewater was allowed to walk from 3 different teams as starting QB.

I’m not saying that Mitch is a good QB. I’m saying that there were no good QBs to be had in free agency, and we got one of the available bridge QBs to start until our draft pick is ready. I still think that Mitch was the best of a number of bleh options when we were shopping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Lousy QB

Could have been a good receiver

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That guy can walk out on a contract quicker than anyone

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Jimmy G wasn’t a free agent, so trade compensation would have been required. 2. Before Jimmy G. agreed to a 1 year contract at a reduced value he was playing under a larger contract that the acquiring team would have taken on. I don’t have that contract detail handy, but I’ve read that the new 1 year deal cut his cap hit from $27 million to $8.5 million. The point being, he would have been expensive both in terms of trade compensation and dollars. That’s what you do for a longer term starter, not a bridge QB. I think we made the right choice not paying up for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He should have committed to being a receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022

You have to look at the circumstances of why a QB was unsuccessful with his former team. MT lost his job in Chicago to Dalton - that in itself wasn't a good sign. A big reason was he had just about the league worst 'on target rate' (on target percentage from a clean pocket - meaning he was off target on a lot of easy to make passes) in his time with the Bears. I wonder how stuff like this was overlooked by the Steelers. Other teams apparently knew there was a problem (no other team offered him a starting job). As far as this season, his passer rating, yards per completion are bad, worse than Mariotta's, Brissett's, and Flacco's. We are next to last in Total Offense - that's a Mitch led offense, so yeah, i think they're were better options out there.

Flacco is an aging vet with past success who was replaced by LJ, still serviceable (this year 300 pass yards per game and 5 TD's meaning he has been moving the chains
    after his first season Mariotta struggled due to a weak offensive line and instability in the titans org,
    Bridgewater's injuries did him in, he's still serviceable and has good accuracy if not much mobility anymore.
    and Brissett looked like a star in the Browns game compared to MT.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Joe Flacco. Look at his game by game performances this season. It was 1 big game vs. the Browns where the Browns had massive communication breakdowns in the secondary and left receivers free. In the Jets’ 2 losses, he sucked and they scored 9 and 12 points in those games. Also, we were seeking a mobile QB because Canada’s offense (allegedly) requires QB mobility. 37 year old Joe Flacco wasn’t going to fit the bill.
    2. Bridgewater is the only guy you listed that I can see a good argument for as a bridge QB back when we made our decision in March. However, Teddy has had starting opportunities with a few teams recently, and he’s been allowed to leave each time. Why? You say that the reason that a QB leaves a team should be considered, well the last 2 seasons he was the starter somewhere (Carolina and Denver) and they didn’t want him back even though he was healthy and in need of a job, and they were in need of a QB. Also, there’s the whole “mobile QB” aspect of what we were looking for.
    3. Brissett. Yeah he’s looked better than Trubisky, but he’s had it a lot easier than Trubisky so far by operating with a top-tier O line and running game. Would he be as effective here? I don’t think so. Go back and rewatch the game last Thursday and see how many uncontested throws and clean pockets he was allowed by our defense. He played well, but he was able to play pitch and catch from a clean pocket all night. It takes hindsight to look back and say that we should have gotten Brissett because he hasn’t done much with his starting opportunities.
    4. Mariota. Same deal as Mitch. Former #2 overall pick who wasn’t wanted by the team that drafted him. Mariota had some injuries, but similar to Mitch he made the playoffs early in his career and then didn’t do much after that when he was healthy. But yeah, let’s play the hindsight game after 3 weeks and say that he’s better in a different situation with different opponents because he had 1 decent game vs. the Seahawks juggernaut defense.

I don’t have time to do this anymore. If you want to engage in hindsight and say that there was somehow a good vet option out there for the taking, then enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    some say he did

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    No we can wrap it up. MT was the choice and i suspect won't be the starter for long anyway. Just because people are in positions of authority and are in charge of making decisions doesn't mean they get everything right or know what they're doing sometimes. More than who was the best vet choice - the bigger question will be if KP was the right choice - i hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Garrapolo is obviously better than Trubisky....but would he stay healthy? Garrapolo has injury issues like the Watt brothers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Correct on Jimmy G. He is always hurt. Only 2 times in His five years as a starter has He played over 6 games.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Were you even alive when Kordell played?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Should have had an OC commit to him. Not three different ones all committed to forcing a square peg into a round hole.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even Cowher admitted that trying to make him a starting quarterback was not going to work

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll need to see the whole quote and context.

Guy who leads team to championship game was not going to work, hmmm.

I think you can say the same just about every QB then.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just like Trubisky.....if You have a Oc commit to Him ....He still way overthrows targets, throws in the dirt(I honestly don't know if I seen a Qb do this more than Him), and can't read a D. Until it is proven You can win a SB without those attributes....I don't give a dang what OC you have. He should have stayed at WR. Yes He went 2 a AFC Championships, but Cowher took 5 different Qbs to the playoffs, and 3 to a AFC Championship, and all 3 more than once.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So by that logic every QB that doesnt become elite shouldn’t have tried to be a QB.

Stewart had a lot more success than other QBs that have played.

If you don’t think having 3 different OC’s in as many years matters than I dont know what to tell you. Especially when not one of them game planned around his strengths.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Cowher’s book

And I’m sure I’m reading my bias into it

But the intent was there and I didn’t get that wrong or I wouldn’t have posted it I try to be accurate

• Like Like x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    OC stability may have had a marginal influence, but Kordell’s ceiling as an NFL QB was fairly low. He was just too inaccurate and had issues reading defenses. I do believe that had he committed to being a receiver, his ceiling would have been much higher. He was an absolute mismatch with most corners and had the size, speed and hands to excel at the position.

• Winner Winner x 1