1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do we take with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Sep 22, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll just take your word on this

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they got a chance to get Anderson, then you trade Highsmith IMO.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Drafting another quarterback in the first round next year is writing off Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would sign off on that approach, but I can picture them going offensive or defensive line instead.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder why two people disliked this post?

6. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I think there's a couple of Browns fans on this board.

7. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Do the Watts, Heywards or Edmunds have any more younger brothers? We'll probably take one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Bryce Young and CJ Shroud are going #1 and #2. No chance for them. That's why we took Pickett this year. Tomlin's choice was either take the best QB of the 2022 draft or the 4th best QB in the next 2023 draft. Which is going to be better? It was either the best QB of a weak class or the 4th best from a stronger class.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So I guess it was dumb to take Heyward in the first round. The Rams were dumb to take Donald in the first round. :facepalm:

10. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    If they ride out the season with Trubisky and the team continues on the same path presently taken they will be 1 or 2....who's gonna be worse?? I dont have a problem with them skipping over the top QBs so long as I get to see Pickett this season. It would be nice to move down in the draft and pick up a couple of first rd picks. If Pickett doesnt play, then I dont see a obligation to not pick one of them up since Pickett apparently showed them nothing in practice that would suggest he could be better then a mediocre Trubisky. Remember it took Pickett every bit of his eligibility to figure things out. He's one of the few people I know that can be truly thankful for the pandemic happening. They don't have five years for Pickett to figure it out here that's why the sooner he is on the field the better.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Maddox hadn't gotten hurt, Roethlisberger would not have played his rookie season. I guess you thought that would have been reason to draft another quarterback in the first round the following season then, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 100. Cowher never would have started Roethlisberger if Maddox didn't get injured. Steelers had no choice but to start Ben. Lucky for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I wouldnt say that. I dont think I would have felt the same way about the QBs in the 2005 draft, even though Aaron Rodgers was in it, as I do about the upcoming draft. I certainly dont think I would have held Alex Smith in as high regard as San Francisco did, but the truth/reality is w/o question that the 2005 draft was just as weak concerning QBs as the one we just witnessed, if not worse.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally agree with both of You, but ....IMO....Maddox was a better QB than Trubisky at that time, and Batch was a great backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Maddox and Stewart were definitely my favorite Steelers QBs in between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Batch and Leftwich were damn good backups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The logic follows what you wrote, this ridiculous assumption that a team should move on from a quarterback taken in the first round just because he didn't play as a rookie.

17. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I think you have a problem with putting words in a persons mouth. I said nothing about moving on from him. That would suggest that he wouldnt have a chance to win the starting position come training camp and preseason next year. I simply said it should not be totally out of the question to draft someone who likely has more upside. In regards to your previous point I dont think it's a slam dunk that Roethlisberger would not have played his rookie year at all. I admittedly cant remember what Cowhers take was on playing rookies, but I dont know if it would have been something that was totally out of the question.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Drafting a quarterback in the first round the following season is moving on from Pickett. To claim otherwise is to ignore logic and reason.

it has been widely reported that Cowher did not want to play Roethlisberger that season. He only played because Maddox and Batch got hurt.

There have also been reports that Tomlin entered the season with the idea of keeping Pickett on the bench, which disprove your theory that him not playing this year would mean he showed nothing in practice.

19. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    It doesnt ignore logic and reason because why draft a QB in the first rd and then turn around and waste a pic on drafting a second QB you absolutely know you should not have drafted in the 7th rd of the same draft?? To say they wouldnt even consider drafting a QB next year who is going to be way better than the one they drafted in the 7th (and for that matter the 1st) is therefore ignoring what took place in the draft we just had. Even if you believe it was a dumb move, which it was, nonetheless it happened.

Last, but not least I never believed Roethlisberger was a reach pick so I would have never considered drafting a QB the next season even if he had never played in 2004. To me Roethlisberger is the equivalent of Levis in next years draft and I absolutely love Levis. So I never thought Roethlisberger wasnt our franchise QB. On the other hand I absolutely believe that Pickett is a reach 1st rd pick. I'm not sold on him being the next franchise QB. I think the Steelers should have went OL or DT in the first rd, and if Pickett was still there in the 2nd then pick him up.

I clearly see we feel completely different about Pickett. I hope to God he turns out to be a future repeat Pro-Bowler. I want to be the first to create a thread calling him the real deal and saying I was completely wrong about him. That being said, because they did select him in the first, and I believe he was a reach, I really need to see him now.

I thought they would go OL in the first this past draft, have a subpar to crappy year and be in line to get the top 3 QBs in next years draft. The way this season is filling out it looks more and more obvious that they botched another draft.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see no way the Steelers will take a QB in the first rd unless Pickett suffers a serious injury. I guaranteed they won’t do it.

As for Ben, some people are running with a quote Bill intended to sit him the entire year. I seriously doubt that, especially since it was Rooney who pushed for him to be drafted.

He would have sat half a season at most but basically as soon as Maddox struggled Ben would have come in.

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    So what's your response to my first paragraph in my last post?? How many QB s do the Steelers like to go into camp with? What is the chance you think of Mason being back?? 50/50 or less than 50??

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im talking about first rd.

Round 6 and 7 Steelers do some strange stuff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I just dont think it's a zero chance. I would definitely say it's less likely or slim to none if Pickett never plays, but if he plays and tanks???

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason is gone and on his way to Canada I would say..

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I agree....at the very least he wont be with the Steelers which means you're down to two QBs...one of which you really dont like.