1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Season defining - Pickett must start next game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 23, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Alex Smith wasn't special but he was 10x better than trubisky. Also as I pointed out a while ago, multiple draft reports had mahomes as non pro ready. Everyone praised Pickett for being pro ready. Apples to oranges.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    F**king New England....even then. LoL

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Stewart was the last QB to beat those bastards in the playoffs, January of '98.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I disagree. They are just on the field all game because Mitch can't convert a 3rd down. They aren't the same without Watt but we didn't lose these last 2 games because of them.

I'm not Glenns level of naive. I don't think just because Ben did it then Pickett will come in and do the same.

The main argument not to play Pickett was the o-line. All things considered they have played pretty well. Mitch isn't taking many hits and Pickett is quicker. I think Pickett could've made a difference and a few more plays those last 2 games and we'd probably be 3-0. Fluky Tomlin 3-0 but 3-0.

With Watt the defense is maybe Top 5-7 range? We have offensive weapons they just aren't getting the ball. In the offseason it's easy to go sit Pickett to learn but once the season starts and you see everything. It's like what are we waiting for? Coupled with the chance we might have a very high draft pick so if Pickett isn't him. Drafting another QB is a real possibility. It's the most important position. I don't want to waste 2-4 years and find out Pickett isn't legit and be right back to step 1. We've already been wasting a lot of drafts with Tomlin.

5. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    highsmith leads the NFL in sacks

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya so...Their run D is horrible, and has been for 3 years! Highsmith leads the League in sacks...big deal

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol...Pickett isn't quicker than Trubisky

8. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Ya so…. Their run D is horrible and has been for 3 years! WATT led the League in sacks…. big deal. LOL

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can see your point. I go back and forth on it. At first I was let him learn, don't throw him to the wolves. Unless the Pittsburgh Steelers organization really believes it can win with what they have on the field now I'm on the side of getting him in there.

Only thing I'd hate about it is he'd have to listen to Canada and that could suck. Maybe he could defy Canada like that kicker for Pitt. Game almost over , Pitt up by 20 and he does an onside kick. I loved it! Coaches were all over his ass. It did work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Because he didn’t

They corrected an interns clerical error

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He said that Dan Ronney didn't have anything to do with this, and I am on board with that. :)

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It was a clerical error

Not a depth chart change

Quit making stuff up

Even Mason said it

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like Mason even more now for backing up this Team Lie.

Art Rooney called Tomlin into his office and told him that Kenny Picket would not be in street clothes to start the year. End of conversation!

I know that Tomlin and Canada both wanted Malik Willis to be their QB pick in the draft, and it was Rooney that told everyone "NO", we are taking Kenny Picket in the 1st.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

You do make up some :bscow:

I give you credit for that

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Quite a bit, just usually not on QB’s :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This only makes sense if the owner of this franchise didn't really know his #1 draft pick wasn't going to be in uniform on game days before it was published. Yes, it's his team, his investments, his roster. Either Rooney was ignorant of who was going to available on game day at the most important position on the team, or he was aware and changed due to overall reactions to it. My rationale is that if it were my team, or maybe anyone of us on this board, wouldn't you know? Especially with all the fanfare about Pickett since he was drafted and all through preseason. IMO, he knew.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Mitch surely deserves the benefit of the doubt as he was acquired at a time when we didn't know who was available during the draft and he was a former number 1 draft pick. I doubt no one watched a couple of minutes of his previous game films before he got here. So, you're right about knowing what we we're getting. The Steelers always think highly of QB's that were #1 draft picks and bring them on for a look see even though their careers were sinking fast. None usually do work out, but this is what the teams does with cut and paste players and hoping it works out, like our OL. Right now, MR's name is like poison to both fans and media, so he no longer is in the picture unless something terrible happens. Mitch is quickly becoming the next MR and his name is synonymous with failure now. Now we have another #1 pick QB that hasn't taken a snap in a real game and why he is not playing is anyone's guess. Since I am not in the decision-making chain of command, I can only hope the best player to get a win is in uniform. One thing that I'll be thankful for when Pickett finally does get in a game will be so many getting what they have been complaining about and I hope it will be worth it. Now, let's go beat the Jets with whoever we put out there. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on what’s meant by “quicker.” Pickett showed quick decision-making and threw quickly in the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    So, this is spinning into some clandestine scandal.
    You guys do not want a 'meddling owner.' I came from the best of the best, the cream of the crop, Dan Snyder.
    Snyder is the standard for meddling. He is also guilty of destroying a franchise and should be removed from ownership.

Back to the Steelers.
    They went and got Mitch Trubisky. Why? Because they had little faith in Mason.
    Mason was supposed to compete with Mitch, the loser was more than likely going to 3rd team.
    Pretty much everyone knew that. Nobody was really supporting Mason and really, he failed in his opportunities in previous seasons.
    But he is a valuable guy that knows the system.

They draft Kenny, as Mitch nor Mason are really an answer to replace Ben.
    They draft 'some other guy' to give them 4 QBs.. he had no chance (I would have preferred just to sign him as an undrafted guy)

The whole world is screaming Kenny Pickett now. I kind of agree.
    But he has to prove it in practice.
    There's a list of QB's that have failed after being thrust into the starting lineup too soon.
    As a coach, you see him practice and you see him coming on strong, maybe you find a way to get him the game.
    Until then, you keep him on the bench until you work out the kinks.

My personal hope is that if Mitch cannot provide a spark to this offense against the Jets (they do have a good defense)
    I would like to see Kenny trot out on the field.
    Then let us see what happens from there.
    The last thing I want to see is the Steelers go down by say 7, and Mitch does the usual 3 and outs and Defense spends all day on the field and the Jets win by 21.
    That is the definition of insanity.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well We can't agree on everything...., but Hell that would be boring. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Agree with all that except the Steelers made a mistake signing Mitch imo. A guy who was replaced by an over the hill Andy Dalton and couldn't find another starting gig so he signs with Buffalo as a backup. there's a reason for that and its his lousy accuracy and poor pocket presence. I think it would've behooved the Steelers to pickup a better vet option (spend a little more money, they were out there) to help bring in KP at the 'right' time.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You might be right.
    Which wouldn't say much for Mason.
    I'll be honest, I had some hopes he would be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Pickett ran a 4.73 at the combine this year, Trubisky ran a 4.67 but that was 5 years ago. So it's probably a toss up about who is faster.

24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i did too, but then i read up on why Mitch was let go in Chicago and looked at some charts that show how bad his accuracy was and don't understand why the Steelers picked him up. As far as Mason, i actually think he has better accuracy than Mitch and was looking like he was getting more comfortable in the pocket. Thinking long term - i would think he would serve as a good backup to KP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    And yall be talking bad bout my man kordell

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2