1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Season defining - Pickett must start next game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 23, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Barring injury, Pickett is not likely to see the field. For that matter, that is not to happen until the bye week. Should all hell have broken lose by then, insert Pickett into the lineup and just ride out the remainder of the season from there.

That said, when Pickett does go in, that will be all she wrote for Mitch. Tomlin is not going to play Musical Chairs with his QBs as he did in 2019 when it was needed. For me, Kenny will be ready by then... assuming he is not now.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ve posted this elsewhere, and don’t feel searching for the spreadsheet that keeps the data, But, in the last 10 yrs the only 1st round QB that didn’t get a rookie start was Jordan Love. Most rookies are starting by week 4-6, most rookie QBs get at least 6-8 starts.

Teams can’t resist playing with their new toys. Pickett ain't blocked by Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. He will be starting by Thanksgiving.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is a guy in a red suit coming in a few months for those of you who keep saying “I believe” and then follow with made up fantasy

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Start Kenny, so at least we got something to watch

5. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    How dare a 24 year old Pickett start says the worst qbs in the league, Herbert 24, Jones 24, Burrow 25 and Lamar 25.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't trust Guys in red suits.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't understand this...:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You also believed Larry O was signed without taking a physical :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently they sneak into peoples house and steal cookies

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I wonder if the fans will be heard at home!?

12. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Agree with the OP. There is no good reason to stick with Mitch. Unless we think he's suddenly going to start throwing consistent strikes and moving the ball downfield. Or just tank the season and save KP for next year (which has never before been the Steeler-way).

I feel game manager is a compliment to MT. Charlie Batch was a game manager (a good one) - To me MT is closer to a slightly upgraded Tim Tebow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Barring injury, Mitch is going to be the starter until Week 9, in which case, then and only then would he be benched. Until then, Mitch is the starter... for worse or unspeakable results. Middle of the field is essentially in Witness Protection right now. Some of that is on Mitch. However...

Some of that befalls on Matt Canada. Both need to go... and will once this season concludes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the point is that Kenny is old enough to start at QB in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Trubisky should be benched. He has shown that he plays way to cautiously and is very erratic with his throws. Get Pickett in there and see what he's got. Tomlin should put Mitch on a short leash this week but I doubt he gets benched. It's a shame that the Steelers will waste a year of Kenny's career because of the coaches stubbornness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'd be the first to admit, I had higher hopes for Mitch.
    I figured he would be at least a decent game manager.
    I was wrong.

But maybe I am also wrong in that I think we won't see Pickett till week 10.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:
    :this!:
    The thing is, Mitch doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt here. It’s who he’s always been. Now we see why Chicago soured on him. Why are we wasting valuable education time for Kenny to let mediocre Mitch languish with this offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I really hope you’re wrong about that last part.

• Like Like x 1
  19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    and drink all the rum

• Like Like x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think a huge part of not playing the Rookie is the other factors .. Our OL can't run block at a high level, they can not pass block good enough for long developing routes or double moves ... Our OC'S play designs and route trees are crap the Team is ranked 31st. in YAC yards and we have all kinds of shifty speedy run after the catch guys ...

As much as it pains me to say it he should not play unless we are going to make changes.. I would start with the OL and get my best 5 run blockers , fire the OC and then design a playbook with split RB'S ,I formation,brocken I ,Ace, Pistol with 2 RB'S , and design runs to both RB'S from each set with muliple fakes and PA passing capabilities ... Then actually study the film for the Team we are playing and find some weak spots to attack and design the route trees to do just that ...So the goal would be to run with deception and pass off those runs with deception ,throw that we do what we do crap out the window ...

21. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with this 100%

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett needs to play at some point so that the Steelers have some evidence of his ability. We aren't winning anything this year, we all knew that going into the year. We aren't close to being a contender, meaning we might very well end up with a high draft pick this year. If that's the case, we need to know if we have to draft another QB in the 1st round. There's no way to know that unless Pickett gets at least half a season. Just like Washington did with Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins. You can never draft too many QB's. Most don't pan out anyway, so double up. If they both pan out, then you trade one like NE did several times.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks. I was like How in the way that I write....can't I understand this. LoL

24. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    It means some of the best QBs if not the best are the young guys in the league.

Give the kid a chance before your 2-6 or 1-7. . . .

• Like Like x 1
  25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Makes 0 sense. This is the best game left to get Kenny going. Probably the easiest opponent left at home. Yes, the stretch after is tough but if Kenny can make a few more plays than Mitch maybe we can win a few of those games. We aren't winning them with Mitch. Also, Mitch has been benched before so he can handle being benched then possibly being asked to play again.